Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were Umbrella's intentions with the T-Virus always evil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were Umbrella's intentions with the T-Virus always evil?

I'm confused.

According to the events of Resident Evil 2, when William injected himself with the G-Virus and attacked the invading soldiers, we see the T-Virus vials falling on the floor and breaking, with the rats going to check it out.

As we all know, the rats spread the virus by roaming through the sewers and infecting the city. But it seems that Umbrella didn't want to leak this out and didn't want Raccoon City to implode with infection.

They were trying to make biological weapons to, I'm sure, help in future wars and battles against other countries and such, and while this may not be totally good, it at least wasn't aimed at civilians. Or am I missing something here?

I really need to know. I'm thinking Umbrella started off with good intentions, and then everything went awry during the initial Raccoon City incident and so on.
    Last edited by WeskerIncarnate; 07-15-2009, 12:33 AM.

Umbrella is seemingly in it for the money, by no matter what means.

Btw, it was the G virus that Willy B injected in himself, not T.

Comment

Research on biological weapons are illegal due to laws and treaties, which is why everything was being done in secret (noted in WR2)

I'm getting the impression from that (also that they have facilities in Russia, Paris, Africa, and probably any number of other countries) they don't really care *who* they sell it to, as long as their product sells. It's just war-profiteering

Wesker's Report 2 also questioned Spencer for building a facility researching the T-virus in the middle of the Raccoon Forest, where it would easily be spread through pollen or insects, as well as Spencer's insistence on a virus that has a 100% success rate. It implies *some* intention of an outbreak, but Spencer never comments on it in RE5.

Comment

Originally posted by A-J View Post

Btw, it was the G virus that Willy B injected in himself, not T.
        Oh, right. I meant to put G-Virus.

And that makes sense. They're a giant corporation.

Comment

Originally posted by JcFFx View Post
          Research on biological weapons are illegal due to laws and treaties, which is why everything was being done in secret (noted in WR2)

I'm getting the impression from that (also that they have facilities in Russia, Paris, Africa, and probably any number of other countries) they don't really care *who* they sell it to, as long as their product sells. It's just war-profiteering

Wesker's Report 2 also questioned Spencer for building a facility researching the T-virus in the middle of the Raccoon Forest, where it would easily be spread through pollen or insects, as well as Spencer's insistence on a virus that has a 100% success rate. It implies *some* intention of an outbreak, but Spencer never comments on it in RE5.
          Even Wesker questioned it?! That was a surprise.

At one point, it seems he wasn't all bad too. But he became mad hungry for power, and that's what lead him to what he is today. Or at least, that's part of it.

Comment

Well the entire company was founded on them going "Hey, we found a virus! Let's make biological weapons". The pharmaceutical part was just a cover.

Which goes back to war profiteering.

Comment

Spencer wanted to rule the world. So no, Umbrella didn't have good intentions.
              But it's employees probably had good intentions. Birkin wanted to be known in history as a Great scientist. The scientists and faculty of Umbrella facilities probably didn't have plans of ruling the world.

Comment

Originally posted by A-J View Post
                RE5 took a massive dump all over that, and it seems that Spencer wanted to create better humans or some nonsense.

The whole profiteering motive seems at least more realistic to me.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheSelfishGene View Post
                  RE5 took a massive dump all over that, and it seems that Spencer wanted to create better humans or some nonsense.

The whole profiteering motive seems at least more realistic to me.
                  I just consider shit like that non canon.

I think war profiteering is a much better and more realistic thing. And that's what I'm going with.

Comment

That's not really how canon works.

Why say that it's not canon (when it is), rather then just saying that the storyline in the RE universe has become shit?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheSelfishGene View Post
                      That's not really how canon works.

Why say that it's not canon (when it is), rather then just saying that the storyline in the RE universe has become shit?
                      Because you can either accept it, and live with the fact that it's shit. Or have ignorance and live happily not worrying about RE5's horrendous amount of plot holes are stuff up's. I choose the latter.

Comment

RE5 Spoilers below

I'm sick of complaints about plot holes. Plot holes in the RE series are only a problem if you dig into them. Otherwise, they don't matter or affect the plot.
                        Most plot holes are fan made.

Spencer wanted to take over the world. Wesker was a result of finding a way to control the super people. The progenitor virus would create the super people. The T-virus might have been used to help wipe out the rest of humanity or even to create slaves. Thats why Spencer wanted a 100% effective virus, and BOWs like the Tyrant that could be controlled. G was just an extension of T. These two viruses were developed and used to make BOWs to sell for money and fund Spencer's plan.

Spencer's plan ended with Raccoon City. Everything failed and even Wesker was presumed dead by the super human serum.
                        Wesker and the rest of Umbrella never knew of Spencer's plans, despite how far Spencer got in them.
                        Wesker DID become a super human, but was uncontrollable. Years later he tracked down Spencer to get answers about what he is, what the purpose of Umbrella was, and what Spencer was planning all along. Usually he wouldn't care, but he seeks the answers to these questions because of the mental block placed into him while he was an infant.(WESKER IS NOT A CLONE. HIS GENES WERE ALTERED AS A BABY)
                        Once he confronts Spencer and learns the truth...those mental blocks are destroyed. All control spencer had is gone. Wesker probably goes a little bit insane as well. HE murders Spencer in a fit of rage and decides to take the plans into his own hands.

Now about the chemical Wesker takes regularly. Wesker discovered he needed it, and Wesker invented it. What does it do? Probably suppresses his mutations. If he mutated, then he would get stronger, but also develop a weakspot like the other BOWs. When Chris and Sheva Inject him with a lot of the stuff, he becomes sick and starts to lose control. When he takes in Uroboros he bonds with it because of his mutagenic state. HE becomes stronger, but develops a weakspot from the rapid mutation.

Now about his plan: Wesker decides to try Spencer's plan. He is a little bit insane and was always egotistical so it makes sense. But Wesker does it differently. He decides to use a parasite like Las Plagas to control his super race. So he used Las Plagas as a base and combined the selective properties of Progenitor, the contagious properties of T (he is spreading it like a virus), and maybe even the mutagenic G. He seems to be creating a BOW, so the main branches of Tricell decide to fund the project. I would assume only Excella and Wesker knew the truth. He was really creating a virus that would spare some, but destroy the rest of humanity. He would have control over the survivors. It is unknown what Wesker's master race would look like. I don't think everyone who wasn't worthy would turn into a tentacle monster, but thats my speculation.

Ok well there it is. The basic Plot of Wesker and Spencer from RE5.
                        It's my opinion that there are no plot holes in RE5 unless you make them. Sure Sherry isn't mentioned. Its not really important, becasue we don't know for sure if she's still a captive. For all we know, Wesker took the Devil vaccine from her blood, and then gave her to a foster family or even her Aunt out of respect for his friend William.

So if you connect the dots, there are no plot holes unless you make them in RE5.

Comment

His genes weren't even altered as a child, I don't believe. He was simply a child from superior parents both physically and mentally who was then given the best enviorment to develop both of these things. He was a normal human, albeit a bit insane, until he got injected with the Wesker Virus.

There are several problems with your theory, though. There's no evidence that Uroborus used Las Plagas, or that there was any intention of infected Uroborus victims with Las Plagas. The Uroborus, if I recall, is purely Sonnentreppe and Progenetor derived. Along with Jill's antibodies. He needed Las Plagas to make guards that were loyal and, of course, to sell to fund his research but didn't use them himself as far as I recall.

Wesker would have no control over the vast number of Uroborus creatures created when he released the virus, nor would any of the handful or survivors who bonded with him be in anyway beholden to him. Indeed, they might be pretty pissed that he just killed off there family and friends. Progenator, on the other hand, is entirely kill or enhance. Hence why Spencer's plan is actually the better of the two. Uroborus would create more problems than it solved, even if only one in ten of it's victims became Urobous creatures they'd use the mass of the other nine to grow. Look how few of them it took for Excella to grow to the size she did.

Which is odd. You'd think someone as smart as Wesker would realize that one...

There are plenty of plot holes in Resident Evil. At least a few per game, suspect, if anyone ever tried to actually list them all. Some are minor, such as Leon and Claire getting into Raccoon after the city is supposedly locked down or the broken Windows of the RPD. Others are a bit bigger, such as the Magic Elevator of Zero. But all in all the story's pretty damned messy.

Which is part of the charm. Working out all the ways the plot could have worked. In fairness, RE5 and RE4 have less plot holes that most, but they do have some. How did Wesker acquire Las Plagas when Ada betrayed him? Through the black market seems a little too convenient when RE4 went to all the trouble of screwing him.

Comment

Yes, Umbrella were always evil. Spencer wanted to put his new race into effect, while the company itself wanted money and power. Raccoon City was a disaster they wanted to prevent as it would surely put their activites in the limelight.

Not really. Spencer was not the voice of the company at all. In RE1, Umbrella already go behind his back on what to do with the Arklay Research Facility, which he owned. Spencer had other motives, but Umbrella as a whole was in it for money and power.
                            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

I remember, the movies made it seem with good intentions (the creator wanted it to help his semi-crippled daughter be well, and not become like him, bound in a wheelchair). But then, the company he worked for, UMBRELLA'HHZ, decided to take it to their own use. It sounded good, but they executed it horribly.

Comment

Working...
                              X