Was sent these today by a friend:

Please tell me I've got something new

Nope.
    If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Source?

Comment

I don't recall but i've seen them before possibly a recreation since they've been blown up and the aspect ratio is wrong all textures from the game are 320x240 it's a bad idea to stretch them to 640x480 your lowering the quality unless your gonna apply some kind of filtering both those textures are pixelated.
        Last edited by kevstah2004; 07-28-2009, 07:33 AM.

sigpic

Comment

It's a possibility that they were taken either off a 1.5 demo disk OR a retail RE2 disc (that contains the 1.5 data) and were screencaptured via an emulator which could explain the odd aspect ratio (the emulator I use forces the ratio to that actual size, without any modifications with absolutely no regard to what game disc I'm playing off) and how the textures aren't too distorted in contrast to what you'd see if you were to just resize it.

*Shrugs* I think I haven't seen those two before Helegad, but I guess I haven't dug through 1.5 deep enough yet. It would be great if they ARE two new ones... regardless if they aren't, it's always good to see something you have never seen before.
          Last edited by Enetirnel; 07-28-2009, 06:30 AM.
          sigpic
          Non-blurry Signature Version
          Youtube | Steam | Website (Under Construction)

Comment

These are recreated.

Comment

Originally posted by doomed View Post
              Aha. Thanks for that Doomed.
              sigpic
              Non-blurry Signature Version
              Youtube | Steam | Website (Under Construction)

Comment

Oh damn, lol, okay, thanks Doomed

Also, I was sent them over MSN when I was away from my computer, and the guy logged off so I had to print screen and cut them

Comment

A few tests to check consistency...
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	FORGERY TEST.png
Views:	1
Size:	741.5 KB
ID:	398764

Comment

The PS1 outputs in 640x480 it doubles 320x240 textures and applies a Bilinear filter of it's own, so really if we wanted we could apply Anisotropic filtering of our own first to every texture before hand to further improve the image quality using some graphics editor like GIMP but then again this isn't really necessary if ckeo is applying filters on the fly when he's creating the 3d objects and final render.
                    I'm not even sure if 320x240 / 640x480 is a true 4:3 aspect ratio anyway back then 16:9 widescreen wasn't all that big so back when the ps1 was created "94/95"? it was only made to support 4:3 at 480i? the clearest image you can get is from a rgb scart cable too since they never made a component cable for it.

4:3
                    8:6
                    16:12
                    32:24
                    64:48
                    128:96
                    256:192
                    512:384 - The ps1 would fit into this category?
                    1024:768
                    2048:1536

16:9
                    32:18
                    64:36
                    128:72
                    256:144
                    512:288
                    1024:576
                    2048:1152
                    Last edited by kevstah2004; 07-28-2009, 11:22 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kevstah2004 View Post
                      The PS1 outputs in 640x480 it doubles 320x240 textures and applies a Bilinear filter of it's own, so really if we wanted we could apply Anisotropic filtering of our own first to every texture before hand to further improve the image quality using some graphics editor like GIMP but then again this isn't really necessary if ckeo is applying filters on the fly when he's creating the 3d objects and final render.
                      I'm not even sure if 320x240 / 640x480 is a true 4:3 aspect ratio anyway back then 16:9 widescreen wasn't all that big so back when the ps1 was created "94/95"? it was only made to support 4:3 at 480i? the clearest image you can get is from a rgb scart cable too since they never made a component cable for it.

4:3
                      8:6
                      16:12
                      32:24
                      64:48
                      128:96
                      256:192
                      512:384 - The ps1 would fit into this category?
                      1024:768
                      2048:1536

16:9
                      32:18
                      64:36
                      128:72
                      256:144
                      512:288
                      1024:576
                      2048:1152
                      From some PSX DEV notes...
                      GPU - Graphics Processing Unit
                      ------------------------------
                      The GPU handles graphics processing, including on-screen display.
                      It has it's own separate 1Mb memory, known as the Frame Buffer or
                      video RAM.
                      This is best thought of as a 1024x512 '2-dimensional' memory space.

Within the Frame Buffer you define an area to be the Display Buffer.
                      This area is where the GPU prepares the display before sending it to
                      the television.
                      The Display Buffer can be located anywhere in the Frame Buffer, but it
                      makes sense to locate in the top left of the Frame Buffer (0,0).
                      The width and height of the Display Buffer should be set to the screen
                      resolution you require, commonly 320x240.

This diagram illustrates the Frame Buffer and Display Buffer:

Frame Buffer
                      (0,0) +--------------+------------------------------+
                      | 320 | |
                      | | |
                      | Display 240| |
                      | Buffer | |
                      | | |
                      +--------------+ |
                      | |
                      | |
                      | |
                      | |
                      | |
                      | |
                      +---------------------------------------------+(1023,511)

The remainder of the Frame Buffer is used to store sprite and texture
                      data (in the PSX's TIM graphics format).

The main system CPU cannot see the Frame Buffer, and it can only be
                      accessed via the GPU.
                      To display a sprite on the screen, the texture data must first be loaded
                      from main memory into the Frame Buffer, from where the GPU can display it.

So it sounds like the ratio output can be controlled from within, but by common practice 320*240 would be normal (although Codemasters included widescreen options in Colin Mcrae)

Comment

c2keo's background recreations are pretty darn good, imo. Yeah they obviously aren't absolutely perfect, but he's done the best job I've seen so far and usually the only way to tell which is original and which is recreation is to seriously analyze and compare the small details. We've been trying to recreate the entire known media of the RPD as accurate as possible, and then create a working guessed map and create original work for the rest of the unknown stuff in the RPD and sewers and make them available for when/if someone can use them to create a playable game or mod of 1.5. Dominion is more interested in working on Dark Biohazard atm, and nobody else seems to have the capability right now to use them in a way most fitting anyway.
                        sigpic

Comment

Nobodies knocking them their brilliant, I was just pointing the aspect ratio was wrong.
                          I can't even imagine how long it'd take me to do one angle, I doubt I'd even be able to do it, I think i'd suffer a mental breakdown first.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah c2keo's work is excellent no arguments there.

Comment

Working...
                            X