Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darkside Chronicles Character Discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About that :
    Originally posted by News Bot
    Chris smoked in the first RE because Mikami at the time might as well have been 15 years old, and Chris was the typical "rebel". However, he is far from a "rebel" anymore. His history has been changed to remove any notion of that from his personality. He wasn't kicked out of the USAF anymore, he was discharged on good terms. Chris smoking is a remnant of his rebel phase which never happened.
    I'd like to know where you are getting this information, because every source I have read contradicts you (including Archives). You may say that because of his file in RE5, stating : "Unable to settle those differences, Chris retired from the United States Air Force." He retired because he never had a choice to begin with, I thought it was obvious. It's the same for politicians or businessmen : they "retire" because they are no longer welcome. This is just the "polite" way to fire someone, without resorting to court martial.

In the end, Chris never changed, I don't know where you got this idea. In RE1 and Rebirth he's still the same badass.
    Originally posted by Ridley W. Hayes
    If that was the case then he would have been shown smoking in the version of the game that was sold at the territories that doesn't have censorship, pretty much as the original game. It didn't get included, why? because the developers didn't want to portray him as such anymore.
    Censorship is not so simple, you know. Not long ago, occidental releases of RE were censored, now the japanese versions are censored and not the others. RECV was censored everywhere, we never got the chance to play it uncensored, unfortunately. Better yet : Biohazard Deadly Silence shows the censored introduction (and no smoking Chris), but Kenneth's head still rolls on the carpet. Strange combination for a japanese re-release.
    RE4 is censored only in Japan, but RE5 is censored everywhere (no more gory death scenes).
    Just because its canonicity is questionable doesn't mean we shouldn't cover it. Going by that we should remove Gaiden and the cell phone games as well completely.
    Oh great, now you compare RE1, the game that started it all, to cell phone games. Wonderful.
    It contradicts pretty much the entire series.
    Above all, it contradicts RE1 itself. Talk about unreliable sources, heh ?
    About the smoking thing: Can someone clear this up? I've always assumed that once the Remake was released, it replaced the original Resident Evil (all versions). Thus, everything in the original Resident Evil (all versions) became irrelevant. It's as if it never existed in the first place. Am I wrong?
    Again, it is not so simple. Rebirth obviously takes precedence over RE1. But no matter how outdated RE1 is, I believe that whenever there is valuable information in it that is not contradicted anywhere else (like the scrapbook for example), then it should not be ignored, nor tagged as "okay but not-so-canon anyway".

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
      It would also greatly explain how Leon knows Ada is working with Wesker in RE4, and how he seems to mention his name as though they have some past history. Not to mention how Krauser came to work for him.
      I've always wondered how Leon knew who Wesker was. Or Claire (in CVX), for that matter...

Originally posted by Ray View Post
      Also, anyone else hope that they don't cut the scene where Alexia mutates and fights Wesker?

From the trailers, she seems to mutate in a completely different (at least different looking area). I really hope she still fights Wesker, even if in flashback form. I mean, she really kicked his ass in the original CV/x.
      My guess is that the scene will not appear. Either that, or Alexia can mutate/un-mutate at will. In the trailer, he seems to mutate on the platform above the ant colony where the final battle took place (with the linear launcher). It's a shame, because making the scene would be a lot simpler now that they can just reuse the Spencer estate's main hall from Umbrella Chronicles.

However, if your previous theory about Wesker giving Javier the T-Veronica virus he got from Steve is correct, the scene where Wesker fights Chris would have to appear to explain how Wesker got Steve's body. The Wesker/Alexia battle scene would have to appear as well, since it would explain how Wesker could not get the virus from Alexia and had to rely on Steve's corpse.
      Last edited by Det. Beauregard; 10-06-2009, 09:54 PM.
      Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

• Originally posted by Det. Beauregard View Post
        However, if your previous theory about Wesker giving Javier the T-Veronica virus he got from Steve is correct, the scene where Wesker fights Chris would have to appear to explain how Wesker got Steve's body. The Wesker/Alexia battle scene would have to appear as well, since it would explain how Wesker could not get the virus from Alexia and had to rely on Steve's corpse.
        Interesting observation you've got there. But, yes, I hope those two theories fit in DSC.

EDIT: Now that I've thought about it...

What about Rodrigo? I hope he stays.
        Last edited by Ray; 10-06-2009, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray View Post
          Also, I doubt it. If Claire and Steve start the scenario together, where would Rodrigo fit in? I'm assuming the scenario begins in the graveyard or front gate of the prison, as I have yet to see anything from the cell where Claire was held in.

Comment

• Oh great, now you compare RE1, the game that started it all, to cell phone games. Wonderful.
            Actually its canonicity is even lower on the scale than some of the cell phone games. Not that I regard any of them as canon, though. Some pieces of Genesis perhaps, due to the new files.

Above all, it contradicts RE1 itself. Talk about unreliable sources, heh ?
            Actually, it doesn't. Its all backstory, almost none of which was revealed in the game. Also, unreliable? Its written by the development team.
            Last edited by News Bot; 10-07-2009, 02:49 AM.
            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• About the smoking thing - why do we assume that Chris was smoking because Capcom wanted to make him look badass and now he doesn't smoke because they want him to be a boy scout? There are lots of people who smokes and still are good boys/girls .

Also, if we really are to exclude uncut intro and bad ending from original RE1 from being canon, there's still no info to support either theory: that Chris smokes or that Chris doesn't smoke; nowhere was stated that "Chris doesn't smoke" (in case of Leon we have that statement, as News Bot has said, and we saw Leon refusing smoke in RE4 intro) as well as nowhere was stated that "Chris do smoke" (again, if we exclude original RE1 and artworks).
              Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 10-07-2009, 02:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot
                Actually, it doesn't.
                Yes it does. Tyrant was not a secret within the company, White Umbrella was well aware of its existence, and more importantly, it was in their slides as a market product, just like the other BOWs. Hunters are not "armored" and they were not classed as Tyrant weapons (code named MA-121, not T-121). This Clay stuff is BS, never in the game do we see this word, the virus is always called T-virus in every file, and there's only one type, be it for plants or BOWs alike. And so on and so forth...
                It may have been written by the dev team, but it certainly does not concern the final version of RE1. Probably background information pertaining to an old beta version (maybe the one with Gelzer, because of all the robot-related phrases).

Comment

• Tyrant was not a secret within the company, White Umbrella was well aware of its existence
                  There are countless explanations for that. White Umbrella was the section directly related to the Arklay Research Facility and all of its projects, for example. Actually, White Umbrella's entire existence knocks RE1 off a bit in terms of canonicity.

This Clay stuff is BS, never in the game do we see this word, the virus is always called T-virus in every file, and there's only one type, be it for plants or BOWs alike. And so on and so forth...
                  Its not even stated what virus was used for each enemy. As far as I know, the E-Type Clay virus is just the formal name for what is the T-virus.

Hunters are not "armored"
                  It is referring to the Hunter's tough physical structure, not metallic armour. As for them being classed as Tyrant weapons, that has no relation to their model number.
                  PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr_Zombie View Post
                    About the smoking thing - why do we assume that Chris was smoking because Capcom wanted to make him look badass and now he doesn't smoke because they want him to be a boy scout? There are lots of people who smokes and still are good boys/girls .
                    One explanation may come from the personality of the game's director. About Devil May Cry development, and Dante's creation, Hideki Kamiya said [in a Japanese guide - http://www.survivhor.com/RE4/BETA01/02/index.html ]: "Dante didn't need to smoke, because a grown-up man doesn't need any kind of accessories to look cool". I always thought it was a light jab at Shinji Mikami and his smoking Chris. Specially because Mikami stated before that he thought Chris looked cool with a cigarette - or that a "cool man always had a cigarette", or something like that - sorry, I don't have the exact reference.
                    Bloodborne: my Facebook page and my Youtube page

Comment

• Originally posted by Grem View Post
                      But he gave a wink to Jill when he punched that guy. Why then?
                      To doesn't make her worry even more? He was investigating the whole thing without telling anything to Jill. Looking for a suspension by punching a guy is, in my opinion, a very dumb way to act for Chris.

Originally posted by Grem View Post
                      His high principles or strong sense of duty don't contradict the fact that he acts as a rebel from the established authorities' point of view.
                      Maybe I didn't expressed myself so well on what I mean by rebel, have you ever read The True Story Behind Biohazard book? Compare Chris' attitude on the intro of the original game and the book, where he is protrayed as a rebel badass, with Chris' attitude from REmake onwards. He's no longer like that.

Also, we don't know what kind of actions he took against Umbrella at the time of CV. Heck, before he traveled to Europe he was consulting the FBI for information, he didn't went to plant bombs on Umbrella's Headquarters.

And regarding the BSAA's order to retreat, he's well respected within the authority itself, he's a SOU member and part of the Original Eleven afterall. Even when that doesn't change the fact he disobey, that's not just plain insurgency.

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                      In the end, Chris never changed, I don't know where you got this idea. In RE1 and Rebirth he's still the same badass.
                      Yeah, he's still a badass, but as I said, his attitude changed from RE1 to REmake. Check the TSBB book and compare his attitude with how he is now.

Now, on subject:

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                      I was hoping for a Chris - Rodrigo scenario on Rockfort Island. If the game is centered around Dark fellings and that kind of stuff, they could have expanded on Rodrigo's life and his relationship with Umbrella... but looks like that's not gonna happen .

Comment

• Originally posted by Det. Beauregard View Post
                        I've always wondered how Leon knew who Wesker was. Or Claire (in CVX), for that matter...
                        Well, Wesker was her brothers captain...it's not unthinkable to believe that they met prior to Code:Veronica. She doesn't seem to realize what he did to S.T.A.R.S, or that he has returned from the dead as after he threatens Chris she says: "I don't know what went on between you two, but you have him all wrong! My brother is not kind of person you think he is."

Leon was working with an Anti-Umbrella group, and has kept in contact with Claire. I'm sure she wouldn't mind filling Leon in on what went down in Antarctica.

EDIT:
                        Well...Wesker says "You must be the lovely Claire Redfield" indicating they haven't been properly introduced, so maybe they've only seen each other in photographs, either way, Claire knows Wesker as his person, not for his actions against Chris.
                        Last edited by Kei_M; 10-07-2009, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ridley W. Hayes
                          Looking for a suspension by punching a guy is, in my opinion, a very dumb way to act for Chris.
                          Well, Chris needed more time and freedom to continue his investigations on Umbrella and no one in the police station was willing to listen to Chris, not even Chief Irons. Being alone in his fight against Umbrella + the ordinary cases he had to deal with as a STARS member, I'm sure he felt the necessity to "escape" his work to be more efficient in his investigations on Umbrella. That's eventually what he did when he travelled to Europe.
                          The wink was a sort of "Don't worry, Jill. I know what I'm doing" for me. It wasn't that dumb, in my opinion.

Maybe I didn't expressed myself so well on what I mean by rebel, have you ever read The True Story Behind Biohazard book? Compare Chris' attitude on the intro of the original game and the book, where he is protrayed as a rebel badass, with Chris' attitude from REmake onwards. He's no longer like that.
                          Well, I don't think TSBB protrays the same Chris than the one in the original game, to be honest. However, his apparent "change" in Remake may simply be the result of Capcom's will to portray a more "realistic" Chris. What I mean is that, in essence, the character did not change (his motives, his temper, etc...), but they probably felt a need to soften his looks to make him look "nicer" even though his story and personality traits were already defined.

Heck, before he traveled to Europe he was consulting the FBI for information, he didn't went to plant bombs on Umbrella's Headquarters
                          I agree, but that was before his eviction from the police station. At that time, he wanted to bring down Umbrella through the legal procedure, but no one helped him really, so he had no choice but to fight Umbrella really on his own.
                          Of course, he didn't plan to plant bombs on Umbrella headquarters. Yeah, but you can be a rebel without becoming a terrorist.

And regarding the BSAA's order to retreat, he's well respected within the authority itself, he's a SOU member and part of the Original Eleven afterall. Even when that doesn't change the fact he disobey, that's not just plain insurgency.
                          Well, granted. But, like you said, he disobeys, nonetheless.
                          Last edited by Grem; 10-07-2009, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grem View Post
                            Well, Chris needed more time and freedom to continue his investigations on Umbrella and no one in the police station was willing to listen to Chris, not even Chief Irons. Being alone in his fight against Umbrella + the ordinary cases he had to deal with as a STARS member, I'm sure he felt the necessity to "escape" his work to be more efficient in his investigations on Umbrella. That's eventually what he did when he travelled to Europe.
                            The wink was a sort of "Don't worry, Jill. I know what I'm doing" for me. It wasn't that dumb, in my opinion.
                            At the end this subject is a matter of point of view since it's not stated in an explicit way his reasons to do that. I'd like to call this a tie, but I grant you that you might be right and I might be wrong.

Even when I think that looking for a suspension is a really dumb way to act taking into account that you can always as a for a license, a release of duty due to stress or a permission for a vacation -something that most of logic people would do-, I didn't noticed the quotation marks on "vacation" when I read Jill's Diary the first time. It's never actually stated if Chris is supended of duty -or not- by punching Elran -something that could happen with Cheif Iron's looking for any excuse to take the former S.T.A.R.S. members out of the way-. But, as we can see, Jill doesn't know either anything of what Chris is doing, she just found that out when they have that meeting in his apartment, and apparently, he didn't told her if he asked for a real vacations or if he was indeed suspended.

Well, I don't think TSBB protrays the same Chris than the one in the original game, to be honest. However, his apparent "change" in Remake may simply be the result of Capcom's will to portray a more "realistic" Chris. What I mean is that, in essence, the character did not change (his motives, his temper, etc...), but they probably felt a need to soften his looks to make him look "nicer" even though his story and personality traits were already defined.
                            Well, yes, in essence the character did not change, he was the bright anti-BOW knight in the original and he still is now in RE5. But, yes, he was softened a little with REmake, that was I meant by change. As News Bot and Wesker said, when the first game came out, Mikami had the idea that a tough looking guy should smoke, even with the TSBB book, that idea is expanded to Chris driving a Cobra at 180km/h and being an ass towards Jill... something that Mikami assumed as the cliché american action-movie heroe. With REmake that idea was toned down for a more realistic, not too cliché -and no longer smoker- human being. As you said, his motivations and, somewhat, his temper remain unchanged, but if he was softened, he was changed.

Chris smoking was only a cliché way to portray him as a badass. That toughness was toned down, he doesn't smokes anymore.

I agree, but that was before his eviction from the police station. At that time, he wanted to bring down Umbrella through the legal procedure, but no one helped him really, so he had no choice but to fight Umbrella really on his own.
                            Of course, he didn't plan to plant bombs on Umbrella headquarters. Yeah, but you can be a rebel without becoming a terrorist.
                            Fighting Umbrella by his own doesn't directly mean that he conducted ilegal actions. He could have tried to contact some European authorities and work with them, look for people affected somehow by Umbrella... we don't really know what he did on Europe, or if it was legal or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ridley W. Hayes View Post
                              Well, yes, in essence the character did not change, he was the bright anti-BOW knight in the original and he still is now in RE5. But, yes, he was softened a little with REmake, that was I meant by change. As News Bot and Wesker said, when the first game came out, Mikami had the idea that a tough looking guy should smoke, even with the TSBB book, that idea is expanded to Chris driving a Cobra at 180km/h and being an ass towards Jill... something that Mikami assumed as the cliché american action-movie heroe. With REmake that idea was toned down for a more realistic, not too cliché -and no longer smoker- human being. As you said, his motivations and, somewhat, his temper remain unchanged, but if he was softened, he was changed.

Chris smoking was only a cliché way to portray him as a badass. That toughness was toned down, he doesn't smokes anymore.
                              This makes sense to me.

However, now even the "badasses" in the Resident Evil universe (Wesker, HUNK) don't smoke. Times have changed.

Comment

• This is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X