Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think is the most/least cheesy RE game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think is the most/least cheesy RE game?

Based on dialogue/lines, delivery of said dialogue/lines, overall story/plot, presentation of overall story/plot... the whole package. I'm interested to know what you guys think. Also, this obviously has to be limited to the main games...

RE0
    Remake
    RE2
    RE3
    CVX
    Umbrella Chronicles (Umbrella's End and other canon side-scenarios)
    RE4
    RE5

... we can't have Survivor or Gaiden (or the original RE, for that matter) clogging up the votes here, for obvious reasons.

So what do you think? What is the most cheesy RE game? The least? What are your reasons?
    Mass production? Ridiculous!

Well, every Resident Evil game has had its fair amount of cheese...but for some reason I feel like RE2(minus the B-scenario credits theme) was the least cheesy. Every game had some pretty cheesy voice-acting(aside from RE5 which, in my opinion, had the best in the series) so it's tough to call one game cheesy and one game not...but I'm going with RE2. It was pretty dark and desperate for its time. RE1 took place in this silly old mansion, while RE2 showed a nightmare of a city lost to a virus. Imagine everyone you know turning into an undead creature. As a 9 year old kid, it was pretty serious. The idea of it scared the shit out of me for a while.

Comment

The least: REmake. That game was just serious, man. Almost as if they took it seriously.

The most: RE4. Because one-liners are always cheesy, tho I liked it.
      Last edited by Rock it.; 08-31-2009, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock it. View Post
        The least: REmake. That game was just serious, man. Almost as if they took it seriously.
        I agree:

Least: REmake
        This game is superb. A perfect reinterpretation of the original:

- Itchy tasty graphics
        - Traditional gameplay we love with some interesting twists (defense items).
        - Fantastic storytelling with new twists that keep you interested.
        - Great voice acting, no cheap lines, well a few.
        - Kung fu action Wesker (Tyrant room scene )

Most: Resident Evil (original).
        Ironic, but I think this one as the cheesiest game of the series (considering Umbrella's End scenario from UC!), but I'm madly in love with it.
        - Terrible voice acting and script/dialogues (Jill Sammich!!!)
        - "Cheap" SFX.
        - The infamous "real-action" videos. (WAIT! DON'T GOOOOOOOOOO!").
        - The ending FMV. The exploding mansion... makes me laugh everytime I see it.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

Easy!
          Re1 (original) - cheesey
          re3 onwards - not cheesey (apart from steves parts in code veronica)

Comment

Originally posted by Andyfer_Ruu View Post
            Easy!
            Re1 (original) - cheesey
            re3 onwards - not cheesey (apart from steves parts in code veronica)
            So you're saying Jill's line in RE3; "you want stars?.. I'll give you stars" wasn't cheesy?

Cheesy or not, still proper class and probably my fave line in all of Resi Evil.

Comment

RE4 has to be the cheesiest. Dialogue, storyline, everything. President's daughter has been kidnapped! Oh noes~!! I mean, really? It's ridiculous. Maybe I'll buy the cult thing and Saddler as a villain, but the abduction of the President's daughter serves no development in the series at all, and, to me, it just comes off really lame. Ashley was a total waste of time.

And, yes, original RE1 is indeed cheesy, but it's delightful, too. At least I can laugh and enjoy that game's dialogue and music and live-action cutscenes! It's classic stuff and truly enjoyable. With RE4, I just sit there and cringe, shaking my head in disdain, because it's written in a manner that's supposed to be taken seriously.

Okay, sorry. Not trying to steer this topic into another RE4 debate, but that's just my opinion.

Now, the game with the least amount of cheese... Perhaps a tie between REmake and RE5. Both have one or two bad lines from Chris (REmake: "We certainly got to the root of that problem!"/RE5: "Let's give it a shot!"), but they're both easily dismissible. REmake reinvented the original game perfectly, and the situations the characters are in seem believable to me. And, while I have heavy issues with a lot of RE5's plot developments, the premise itself is very nice. Even Irving, a campy and silly character, doesn't intrude too much on the mood of the game. Though, maybe I'm a bit bias, because I really liked that guy for the 1.2 seconds he was in the game. Wesker and Spencer's goal of achieving Godhood is obviously over-the-top, but it's executed with less cheese than it could've been, which I'm grateful.

Overall, I guess I'll have to say REmake.
              Last edited by Bianca; 09-01-2009, 07:42 AM.

Comment

4 was incredibly cheesy, and they probably knew it. The whole plot is a big cliche.

"Here comes the helicopter guy to save me! Oh no, he's been shot down!" etc

I'll refrain from saying the original, because in my eyes, at the time it wasn't.

Comment

Nope, RE4 actually was neither a parody nor was the camp intentional. It was just trying so hard to be uber-cool that it came off as ridiculously stupid. Just like any of the "Fast & Furious" films.

So I classify it as the cheesiest, since everything else that went into the game had such great care and high value - yet the story & characters couldn't have been any more bottom-of-the-barrel.

RE1 (original) was a huge Japanese production that was released very early into the lifecycle of 32-bit gaming. All of the acting was performed in Japan, where the production team probably grabbed a few random gaijin from eikaiwas or off the street to portray the characters. Since the dialogue was in English with Japanese subtitles, the non-actors were told to speak slowly, clearly, and in a manner that Japanese nationals could comprehend with their (mostly) minimal English knowledge. If anyone has ever been to Japan or taught English there, then they will know this is true. It is why "Engrish" is prevalent - you see grammar misused all over the country. It is quite humorous, to be honest. Seeing as the dialogue was probably penned by a JN, and the non-actors just there to collect a buck, the script was followed without care toward the correctness of the grammar.

Yes, RE1 is horribly, horribly bad in the dialogue department, but if you sit back and think about all the circumstances and consider the video game world in the mid-90s, then you'll realize why it is the way it is.

As for most BORING RE game...RE0, easily. The only RE title I've only played once and never EVER wanted to play again. Bad characters, bad enemies, ZERO (pun intended) replay value.

Comment

Considering your infatuation with Dead Space, I'd have figured RE0 was right up your alley.

Least: REmake or RE2

Most: CVX, RE5 (it tries so hard to be serious that it comes off cheesier than anything in RE4 or the original)*

*Dons flameshield
                    Last edited by DarkMemories; 09-01-2009, 08:12 PM.
                    A man chooses...a slave obeys.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMemories View Post
                      Considering your infatuation with Dead Space, I'd of figured RE0 was right up your alley.

*Dons flameshield
                      I support Dead Space, yes, since I think it is a true survival horror game compared to RE4 & RE5, but that was someone else who said that Dead Space is the "best game of this console generation."

Comment

I wasn't saying you thought it was the best game this gen; that was missv. I just meant that I find Dead Space boring, which is what you called RE0, ergo I cracked a little joke relating the two.
                        A man chooses...a slave obeys.

Comment

^Yeah, I know you were making a joke. I just wasn't sure if you thought I had said "DEAD SPACE IS THE GR3AT3ST EVAR!" (Or however internet proclamations are supposed to look.)

Last edited by Jill's Boob; 09-01-2009, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Barry was the source of cheese in the REmake. Aside from the sandwich comment he had quite a few other zingers.

BARRY: "I like the buddy system we have here" (says that while he stares lovingly at his Colt Python).

And Chris punching that rock during the fight with Wesker was freakin' hilarious. There are cheesy lines and then there is cheestastic-action.
                            Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMemories View Post
                              I find Dead Space boring
                              See, I thought Dead Space was excellent the first time through. After that, however, it stopped being as fun. It definitely didn't have the replay value of RE4 (hell, even RE5). Also, there was that button you could press that would literally point you to your next objective... on what level is that survival horror, exactly?! But I will admit that it was a creepy game, and the backstory about the bacterial tissue necrosis and all that icky shit was interesting. The enemies were very well-done.

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                              Barry was the source of cheese in the REmake. Aside from the sandwich comment he had quite a few other zingers.

BARRY: "I like the buddy system we have here" (says that while he stares lovingly at his Colt Python).

And Chris punching that rock during the fight with Wesker was freakin' hilarious. There are cheesy lines and then there is cheestastic-action.
                              Oh if you think Barry's lines in Remake are bad, play the original!

Jill: "What about you, Barry?"
                              Barry: "Don't worry, I have this!" (as he holds up his magnum)

Barry: "Woah! This hall is dangerous!"

Barry: "Wait, Jill, I found something. It's a weapon! It's especially useful against living things!"

But yeah, I agree - he really was the only source of cheese in Remake. The voice acting was pretty well done (for a Resident Evil game, anyway). Jill had a few cheesy lines, although it was more in the delivery than in what she said.
                              Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

Working...
                              X