Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which RE game do you think had the most interesting environments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which RE game do you think had the most interesting environments?

Which environments and locations were your favorites, and why? What were the most fun to explore? Which ones were pretty dull and boring?

I ask because I find the environments in RE to be one of the biggest highlights of the series. I sometimes wonder how cool it would be if some of these landmarks could actually exist, to walk around in them and be surrounded by awesomeness.
    Mass production? Ridiculous!

Although I like the detailed and atmospheric stuff of REmake and REZero the most, but any form for abandoned/messed up lab is on my list of awesomeness. The transition between a "just a place that's infected" and "source" is basically the next step up on the "Shit just got real!" ladder. You are closer to the source of the problem, you're where you know "shit happened", and you're also somehow closer to your ticket out.

Comment

The streets from RE2 (and some Outbreak scenarios - def. not the RE3 street, that just felt like one big alley). God, I wish that section was longer; dunno, it always felt pretty goddamn real. It always gave me "the shit hit the fan" feeling, and that's pretty awesome.

Comment

hmm well i do love the police station from RE2/RE3 aswell as the REmake labs i think my fave is the village from re4. say what you want about the game (i personally love it) but the village was a great enviroment as it was quite large and it had a great creepy atmosphere especially at night.

Comment

IT is Remake

Comment

Despite my lack of love for the series, i'd have to say Outbreak, which is one of the reasons it pains me the gameplay was so bad.

Comment

Outbreak. It's such a wonderful view of a city falling into chaos during an outbreak, you can actually feel it.

Comment

I'd have to say CVX. It's one of the reasons I love the game so much. The gothic atmosphere is really alluring and scary at the same time. Torture chamber, prison, Ashford manor, labs, Arklay Mansion redeux.

Of course, REmake is a close second, possibly even tied with first. Everything about the mansion is absolutely beautiful. Le sigh~

Comment

Kill me. Resident Evil 5.

The whole Africa setting, the ruins, labs, tanker, lava volcano... All those with an excellent level of detail.

Next is Code: Veronica, all the enviorments keep changing from an island to freaking Antartica!

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

Resident Evil 3 for me, after getting a taste of Raccoon City's streets at the beginning of RE2, I only wanted more. On top of that you got the additions of the RPD, Clock Tower, Hospital, Park and the Dead Factory. RE3 pretty much has a bit of everything, although it doesn't have a proper lab per se, the basement in the Hospital and parts of the Dead Factory gives off that lab kinda feel.

Comment

It's odd, I don't enjoy playing RE0 but Marcus's laboratories have a great retro aesthetic. They fit my imagination as to what the pre-computerized, post-WWII biological/chemical warfare labs look like. The aged and lived in feel makes it look like some inhumane shit went on there.
                      Last edited by GuardhouseMusic; 09-08-2009, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zomBD View Post
                        Resident Evil 5.

The whole Africa setting, the ruins, labs, tanker, lava volcano... All those with an excellent level of detail.

Yes, I feel the same way. The level of detail and variety are astounding. My favorite part had to be the ancient caves. It really captured the magic of actually feeling like an ancient underground civilization long forgotten temple. Really adventerous overtone. It was just so damn big!(not exactly on more playthroughs, but the first time, WOW!). And the icing on the cake is the idea that the progentior flowers are the origin of the entire series. Very cool.

Second choice has to be the Remake. Those pre-rendered backgrounds just ooze such detail. They tell such an interesting story(compared to the actual plot of the first game, lol)

The worst of a main game would have to be RECVX, because the full 3D wasn't ready for RE at that point, but the settings are actually interesting, or have great potential that RE DSC could help realize.

So, I'll just say Survivor is the worst, not that I ever played it, but all 3D on the playstation?

Uh. . .yeah.
                        sigpic

Comment

Survivor actually does a pretty good job of showing a town which essentially has the Umbrella logo stamped all over it. Plus the files all lend the (quite varied) settings some great atmosphere. Plus, if you want to see rows of Mr. X incubators, RE:S is the game for you

Comment

Originally posted by GuardhouseMusic View Post
                            It's odd, I don't enjoy playing RE0 but Marcus's laboratories have a great retro aesthetic. They fit my imagination as to what the pre-computerized, post-WWII biological/chemical warfare labs look like. The aged and lived in feel makes it look like some inhumane shit went on there.
                            I completely agree. Easily my favorite area of RE0. The music in some of those rooms fit really well, too. I remember walking into Marcus's creepy office with the soothing music, and backtracking to the library with the unsettling overtones... good times. And that operating room with the adjacent morgue... freaky.

Originally posted by valentinesdead? View Post
                            The worst of a main game would have to be RECVX, because the full 3D wasn't ready for RE at that point, but the settings are actually interesting, or have great potential that RE DSC could help realize.
                            I actually think the locations in CVX (particularly areas of Rockfort island) were my favorite in the series. I found them to be far creepier than anything in RE2 or RE3 architecturally. Although I must say that the Spencer estate and the management training facility give off really unsettling vibes, too.
                            Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

Even though I haven't played it 1.5 appeals to me the most the blue hue is actually a preferable trademark I would do if I started movies like James Cameron and his blue hue...maybe if an Re game was modded to look all blueish I'd probably appreciate it much more. The station and setting was good too

Comment

Working...
                              X