Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I played Darkside Chronicles at PAX: Impressions inside.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I played Darkside Chronicles at PAX: Impressions inside.

The level I played seemed to be the beginning of the RE2-section, and it ended when Claire and Leon arrived at the police station. The game is a lot more intense than other rail-gun shooters, which quite literally gives you the impression the characters are being pulled along a track the considering silly amount of fluidity of the movement you get from a first person perspective. DSC however gives you the feeling of the characters' each and every step. It's really quite immersive. It's probably the most "scary" on rails shooter out there. That said, it still isn't "scary," just more intense and absorbing, allowing you to more easily get inside the shoes of the characters. There were several cool scenes as well, like at one point an explosion knocks Leon to the ground and you're left defenseless on the ground while Claire covers him until he recovers (complete with some zombie headshots). The 3D recreation of the Raccoon City streets was also pretty cool, and the game conveys an excellent sense of destruction and chaos.

In terms of controls and core gameplay, DSC plays pretty much like Umbrella Chronicles, except each character has a life bar now (even in single player). There will also be moments where one player will have to shield the other from enemy attacks (even in co-op mode). There's a new inventory as well, where you can pause the game to map weapons to the D-Pad for quick selecting or to use healing items. In terms of problems though, the actual shooting still doesn't seem as impactful or satisfying at it should be in a rail-gun shooter; some additional flash or oomph would be nice. Also, while the decapitating shots are nice and gory, normal body shots don't have zombies bleeding very much at all. Plus, the co-op mode seemed rather "one-sided" in that whenever a POV cut-scene took over, the perspective was still always' Leon's (I was playing as Claire) and it killed the moment to see the character I was controlling walking in front of what I believed to be my own view point. However, I never saw Leon in third person. Also, the voice acting is awesome; it's so delightfully campy, especially Claire's. It's really obvious the actors had a great time with the game.

Ultimately, DSC was a lot of fun. It seems like it's trying a bit too hard to be "more" than a rail gun game, so much that it kind of skips part of what makes rail-gun games so fun (incredibly satisfying shooting). Still, if you liked Umbrella Chronicles, you'll probably like this too.
    Last edited by LVL100 Merchant; 09-09-2009, 01:53 PM.

And pretty much all of this post pleases me. The one point of view in co-op doesn't really bother me since I'll only be playing this on single player.

Comment

There might be options for the POV stuff, or based on player 1's character of choice, or something... I dunno. Maybe not, but I guess it'd give a tiny tiny fraction of extra replay value if it did.

Comment

Sweet. I'm really looking forward to this one, I just hope there will be more Chris and Wesker in the CV part, since they were the whole reason I played CV. At least(if it's included)the Tyrant on the plane will probably be ALOT easier lol.
        Last edited by REmaster; 09-09-2009, 02:14 PM.
        "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
        Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Thanks for the writeup! It sounds really awesome, I can't wait to play it!

I also love how much longer each section seems to be.

Comment

I wonder how many scenarios each game (RE2, CVX) will have. It seems like we might get more than 3 per game, like in UC.
            Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

Biggest question on my end is how many branching/alternate paths there'll be (and how much furniture you can destroy along the way to unlock stuff )

Comment

Thanks for the info. Interesting to read. It's just a shame it looks to have come at the cost of your doom. PAX was hit by swine flu, apparently.

...your sacrifice shall be remembered.

Comment

At least he enjoyed it!

Imagine how sad it'd be if he didn't even like the game

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post

Imagine how sad it'd be if he didn't even like the game
                    All my hope whould have fallen apart for the DSC if he did not like the game but he enjoyed it so there is still hope for this game

Comment

well this game is really looking to be a lot of fun and i cant wait to get it. It does look like a lot of effort was put into making the game and it looks to be a drastic improvement to UC.

Comment

I like the fact that you seem to be able to pick up money (in the form of gold bars I think) along the way. Sure, it makes no sense, but more hidden stuff to find in each stage = more replay value = more fun for me.
                        Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

So Merchant how long did the level last did it feel longer than some of the levels in UC or was it just about the same lengh?

Comment

Working...
                          X