Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If They Killed Off A Main Character Who Would You Want It To Be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^

Well, Claire's kind of a bleeding heart, and Sherry has no one else, to our knowledge. I think it could be an interesting idea, if Sherry has become a villain of some kind, or better yet, a BOW.

I'd rather see that then have another game of Leon/Ada blueballs.

Comment

Originally posted by Darinl1979 View Post
      Rebecca's dead? I mean shes barely important but I don't recall her being labeled as dead. I hope to god they never do anything with Claire looking for Sherry. I mean were they really that close? They knew each other for less than 24 hours...so honestly...does Claire really give a shit?
      Capcom probably intended for Claire to give a shit otherwise they wouldn't have suggested Wesker having Sherry in his custody. That, for quite a few years, was a situation shrouded in mystery and was certainly a driving force for the series in terms of how a handful of storylines would end. However, since retconning that... yeah, Claire probably doesn't give a shit.

But it was a storyline with potential. At least, at some point. Now, I question whether they should bother, and the more sensible side of me says no. Unless, as I've said before, Sherry took the role of a protagonist. She, in some definition, would be a "new" character for the revamp Capcom is fixated on while also serving as a tie to the old cast.

We can question Claire's concern for Sherry but there's no debate how attached Sherry was to Claire. There's a deep psychological reasoning behind it that was reestablished in Darkside Chronicles. Maybe if they killed off Claire somehow that would at least enable Sherry to take the form of a lead character, willing to fight like the other protagonists. In memory of Claire or whatever.

Highly unlikely, but workable. Just like so many other ideas discussed. :[
      Last edited by Bianca; 01-01-2010, 09:26 PM.

Comment

I've always envisioned the ending of Leon's storyline with Ada's death. I can just picture Leon fighting the final boss, after Ada's death, and having someone throw him a rocket launcher and, despite his hopes, have it be revealed NOT to be Ada.

Y'know what would have been cool? Epilogues in RE5 for all the characters :/ Maybe if they do a Chronicles 3, they'll think about doing something like that. I don't mind a reboot as long as they don't forget the original characters for some side games.

Comment

Originally posted by Kei_M View Post
          I've always envisioned the ending of Leon's storyline with Ada's death. I can just picture Leon fighting the final boss, after Ada's death, and having someone throw him a rocket launcher and, despite his hopes, have it be revealed NOT to be Ada.

Y'know what would have been cool? Epilogues in RE5 for all the characters :/ Maybe if they do a Chronicles 3, they'll think about doing something like that. I don't mind a reboot as long as they don't forget the original characters for some side games.
          People were expecting epilogues but honestly thats a risky move for Capcom. By doing that they are pretty much saying "Hey its over for these guys, time for a new group". By not doing epilogues it allows them to go back to favorites if a new idea doesn't seem to be working. Did RE5 sell less because of no epilogues? Nope. Would it of sold more if they had epilogues? Nope. No reason to close off something they would like to go back to.

Comment

Hell, I still think RE5 woulda been amazing if you had Barry as your radio man
            I was thinking along those lines or maybe as range master for the BSAA. I think there is no reason to kill off the likes of Chris and Jill as there story is over and killing them is pointless now. They could bring in a new crop of BSAA agents and have Chris and Jill be the ones that trained them.

Honesty I see RE 6 having Leon in it and don't see capcom killing him off. If the organization and Ada are brought back I could see Ada dieing. Capcom doesn't seem to kill off it's main protagonists and the minor ones get forgotten about. Maybe they can have Nicholai seek out Billy, Carlos, Rebbecca, and every other forgotten character and assassinate them.

Comment

Leon needs to die a few more times. This time though I'd like to actually see the death/cloning process and implanting of a new personality he has receieved between every game/movie appearance so far.

Seriously though, his character is so inconsistant I fail to see how anyone can like him. If he died I would not care.
              Last edited by Dracarys; 01-02-2010, 05:27 AM.
              Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                They need some new blood soon. Chris is approaching Barry's age in RE1. Its only inevitable that one of them will either die, or we'll (more likely) get a new set of characters.
                This. To have some new faces and persona and having them introduced the horrors of the world, bringing a new perspective again than playing many of the previous characters from the series, is the best move for the next game in my opinion.

Comment

Bringing Chris of Jill back after RE5 to kill them would be spiteful and stupid. Although Chris does vouch to keep fighting at the end of RE5, who knows when he'll find himself in combat again. It could be justified, but I doubt killing Chris could really push any other characters stories (possibly Claire's).

And as others have said, I simply don't trust Capcom to not fuck it up.
                  sigpic

Comment

Barry. His death would not only push the storyline miles foward, it would also add the emotional edge the storyline never had. Just imagining him rolling down a mountain tied to his wheelchair, thinking about his now-fully-canadian children and how he wasn't able to see them for the last time... brings a tear to my eye.

Comment

Ada and her boring organization?
                      I find this to be the best, most interesting plot thread left in the series. Only because its been around since Resident Evil 2 but has never been really touched on, only hinted at. The Organization's involvement spans back as far as Resident Evil 1 with Wesker's defection, and even further back with Ada having infiltrated the Arklay Research Facility. We still don't know who they are, apart from the fact that they are a pharmaceutical company like Umbrella who have a more distinct interest in B.O.W.s.

While Umbrella had ulterior motives overall to the B.O.W. business (Spencer's new race), they performed the adequate research that The Organization required and throughout the series they have just been working behind the scenes and acquiring Umbrella's research. They developed the Hunter II, Sweeper, Jabberwock S3 and the Anubis (or, most likely the Anubis), some of the most advanced B.O.W.s in the series. We know that they sell them, but we don't know much else aside from that. They have access to EXTREMELY advanced technology that the US government only touches upon as well as access to the majority of Umbrella's viruses, such as the T-virus, G-virus and T-Veronica virus. They also have the only Control Plaga in existence.

To call that shit boring is just LOL.

Now what is boring is death. Killing off a character should not be the first option to push a story forward. It loses all impact when it becomes a task. So no, we shouldn't kill off any main characters, we either use new ones or re-use old ones to tie up loose ends (Leon, Ada), then use new ones. Just ending one character's life completely out of left field ruins any sort of impact it could have had on the storyline. The dumb retarded shit with Jill in RE5 is proof of this.
                      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by Darinl1979 View Post
                        People were expecting epilogues but honestly thats a risky move for Capcom. By doing that they are pretty much saying "Hey its over for these guys, time for a new group". By not doing epilogues it allows them to go back to favorites if a new idea doesn't seem to be working. Did RE5 sell less because of no epilogues? Nope. Would it of sold more if they had epilogues? Nope. No reason to close off something they would like to go back to.
                        I didn't say the epilogues should CLOSE off the stories, but it'd be nice to see whats up with the characters as of RE5. The RE3 epilogues didn't close off any stories.

Comment

Honestly I want to believe that Capcom's staff maintains the canon that succinctly but considering the other factors affecting what will go into the creative process and ultimately the final product, I have to agree that there's nothing to be done with the existing characters (even The Organization, and fuck, Paul, you've sold me on them, which no one else has been able to do). I want a pre-existing staff to have as much creative leeway as possible, and just reading this thread, the pressures that they have with the characters established for 13 years are many, and huge. For instance, If they put Ada in a game Leon has to be there, right? Think of what they could compromise, if it has to be a coincidence.

So my solution? Kill them off the Big Brother way. By RE"6" they never existed. Whether they're rebooting the gameplay or the way the "horror" is done then give them a narrative mile, not an inch.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrico Marini View Post
                            Wesker clones. Remember: all tyrants were that sergi guy's clones or something. So the technology is already there. I can see it now:

*Chris surrounded by weskers*
                            Wesker#0001:The beauty about me is that, there are so many of me.
                            Sounds like the Matrix. Have all the Weskers join together to form a giant boulder.

I kinda agree with the "happy ever after ending" for the survivors or like dot suggested have them play radio support, Leon is probably the only exception being an active agent him and Ada still have a chance to die but how it should happen is up in the air...maybe Ada tosses Leon the rocket launcher for her last time.

Comment

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, because I'm too lazy to read everyone's posts haha. I think a nice new storyline with a new villian that hunt's down all the surviving Umbrella fighters and murders them one by one, to ensure that their plan will "work" this time. Something akin to Lethal Weapon 2 if anyone remembers that. Although to kill Leon would be a bit harder to do than the rest due to him being a government man. I like Leon but it could happen to him as well.

The Organization takes notice of this and sends Ada, along with a few new characters to either take over or finish off the new threat (since I'm not sure about the Organizations motives just yet). Then insert random acts of gameplay etc. I'm ok with basic plots but going beyond that is not my cup of tea.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Mason View Post
                                maybe Ada tosses Leon the rocket launcher for her last time.
                                But what if Leon tosses Ada the rocket launcher? That would blow my mind...

I still think it would be a nice emotional twist if Leon was forced to kill Ada. You could see Leon pleading with her to stop, but to no avail. Kind of like the Jill battle from RE5, but less dumb, and Ada wouldn't be brainwashed - it would just be her "mission" to wipe out Raccoon City survivors or something (this was alluded to in RE4).
                                Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

Working...
                                X