Survival Horror?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survival Horror?

I was thinking back and honestly I must question the authenticity of RE's genre. If RE was truly Survival Horror then how come you play the role of characters such as Jill and Chris? Isn't a Survival Horror supposed to be more open ended? Plus, even though I hate to admit it, it's just an item chase. You unlock doors throughout much of the game and fight monsters on the way. It just seems that maybe RE was never Survival to begin with. Perhaps Horror RPG or action is more suitable.

LIES!! YOU'RE SCREWING WITH MY HEAD!! technically you were striving to survive. and i got to say back then, even with its cheezy lines and graphics, it was still pretty horrific. because think about it, if you were in that position, you're trying to survive, and its real scary. so survival horror is suitable

Comment

Originally posted by Karui View Post
      I was thinking back and honestly I must question the authenticity of RE's genre. If RE was truly Survival Horror then how come you play the role of characters such as Jill and Chris? Isn't a Survival Horror supposed to be more open ended? Plus, even though I hate to admit it, it's just an item chase. You unlock doors throughout much of the game and fight monsters on the way. It just seems that maybe RE was never Survival to begin with. Perhaps Horror RPG or action is more suitable.
      That's what survival horror usually entails. Puzzles and fetch quests. Even Silent Hill is all about puzzles, and sometimes taking item A and placing it at point B, and that series is scary as all hell.

If RE was truly Survival Horror then how come you play the role of characters such as Jill and Chris? Isn't a Survival Horror supposed to be more open ended?
      What do you mean? Jill and Chris may be trained people, but what about Claire? She's just a civilian, and Leon, during RE2 anyway, had no real experience. He just knew the academy. The Outbreak cast is made up of civilians. There are many people in the RE universe who start off with no real experience.

As for the open-endedness... Well no, honestly, survival horror isn't really open-ended. Just because you can run around Silent Hill, or the mansion in Fatal Frame, or hell, even the mansions/labs/city in RE, doesn't mean you can literally go anywhere, do anything. It's just a frame to get you from point A to point B, no matter what survival horror series it is.

Comment

What about games like Left for Dead? You use anything to survive. It just feels like on RE that it should be more...optional. Up until RE4 you couldn't even use your own bare fists. I'm not hating on RE, but I just feel like maybe RE isn't really Survival Horror. It's not even scary unless you're really little.

Comment

Are we speaking about any particular RE game here?

The earlier REs (before 4) fit the genre. Survival was more about the limited healing items vs number of monsters and status effects, as well as the limited ammo vs the monsters. You had to be careful or else you'd easily die: that's what surviving is. Of course, I say this in the case of people who would play the old titles and NOT know where everything else/know the cool special ways to swerve around and dodge all the enemies.

From 4 on it did lose that touch, but by the time 4 came out, RE was a very well known title. So the changes they made to the games' schematics (aside from the infinite argument about whether or not the old cameras/controls were cooler/better/etc) wouldn't have had a huge impact on the sales. It was an RE title, featured known RE characters, and the gameplay was something new compared to the old titles! That intrigues people too.

Comment

What about games like Left for Dead? You use anything to survive. It just feels like on RE that it should be more...optional. Up until RE4 you couldn't even use your own bare fists.
            Left 4 Dead isn't survival horror, it's an action game.

And think about that. In RE, a world where zombies can infect you by so much as scratching you, would it really make sense to get close enough to fistfight them? It's bad enough when you're reduced to your knife.
            Last edited by Canas Renvall; 01-11-2010, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Well technically the main aim of the game was to escape the mansion and survive the constant on slaught of enemies. The same thing goes with RE2 and RE3. In both of these games the main objectives of the characters was to escape the city and survive. Same thing goes with CVX, Survivor, Outbreak 1 & 2, RE0 etc.
              Last edited by I_Am_Nemesis; 01-11-2010, 09:19 AM.

Comment

I always took Survival Horror to mean sheer fright & terror, whilst striving painfuly with suspense to find a much needed bullet, from a very sparse & well hidden collection, inorder to temporarily stem the horde of undead, throughout an insidiously scarey, isolated & desolate gothic mansion ~ i.e Biohazard Remake and NOT Biohazard 5.

Comment

I always took survival horror as limited ammo/health and if you do badly there isn't really a crutch to lean on. L4d on Expert is a true survival horror but you can't just say that Resident Evil (well the old ones) aren't survival horror. The genre has evolved significantly since they were originally released so compared to some of the more recent games, they aren't as much survival horror but they paved the way. Just like the old thriller/horror movies, we might not consider them horror but they were the starting point from which the genre evolved.
                  Last edited by Enrico Marini; 01-11-2010, 01:03 PM.

Comment

I guess if anyone was in these one of these situations it would be about surviving the horror but as far as playing the game, after one or two play threws I guess the horror elements are gone. Resident Evil always had that fear of the unknown which has been lost. RE 4 besides going more to action gameplay had little horror up until the lab area.

Comment

Working...
                    X