Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help me?

This may be a little random...

So in the game Sweet Home there was a plaque that was on the outside of the mansion and it says something like "Through this door resides the residents of evil" but in more words and much more spooky and stuff. I've looked around the internets and could not find. It was the plaque that the name Resident Evil came from (obviously) and I really wanted to know if anyone had the full text?

I dunno if you should look too deep into that @origin of RE name supposedly being Sweet Home.

The translation of Sweet Home that is widely available is a fan-translation (of very recent years), and I'm sure that anything you'll find there is either coincidental or put in by the team.

If you wanna look up the dialog, try to do a relative search or pure text search for one of the keywords while opening the ROM image of Sweet Home in a Hex Editor. I refuse to believe there's any fancy text compression in that game (though, I guess, depending on the available space, they might've used a dictionary system to save space)

Anyway, as far as the origin of the name goes... Resident Evil is a terrible pun... so terrible that I almost find it amazing that it supposedly came from the US side of things and not Japan itself. (Okay. So maybe I find 99% of all puns in the world terrible... or worse )

Comment

As far as I am aware it was changed to "Resident Evil" outside of Japan to avoid copyright issues with the band "Biohazard". I have no idea how they chose Resident Evil but I do know that RE was influenced by Sweet Home.

Comment

I remember reading that the US naming of the game was an internal competition at Capcom US, and Resident Evil was the winner.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheSelfishGene View Post
          I remember reading that the US naming of the game was an internal competition at Capcom US, and Resident Evil was the winner.
          Yea I read that too, and Chris Kramer was like "Seriously?"...screw it. Then it became a big hit and nobody cared how crappy the name was because the game was so cool.
          "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
          Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

I like the name

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
              The translation of Sweet Home that is widely available is a fan-translation (of very recent years), and I'm sure that anything you'll find there is either coincidental or put in by the team.
              who knows...
              I know this sounds stupid but when I first got into the series I originally thought the name was interpreted literally, like all the RESIDENTs have formed into EVIL monsters
              not clear if anyone knows honestly, and I agree with Carnivol. Sweet Home was never localized that means it was never truly translated ether, we translated it.

Comment

Originally posted by Karui View Post
                I like the name
                I do too Residence of Evil or Residents of Evil
                If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

This thread is a year old, what the hell?

Comment

Working...
                  X