Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resident evil 5 gold edition new merc characters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at the old gamecube models of Barry and Rebecca...

Rebecca: http://www.capcom-central.com/concep...caChambers.jpg
    Barry: http://www.capcom-central.com/concep...arryBurton.jpg

And comparing them with the footage in the vids of the patch released so far...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knBH2V2krc8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH8Ax...eature=related

Almost clearly shows that these are indeed new models. For one, the polygon count is much higher as the level of detail is slightly better than the old gamecube build (which is also a testament to the amazing quality of REmake). Plus, you can notice little differences like the clarity in the STARS patch on their sleeves, the realistic bulk of clothing, etc. For instance, Barry's t-shirt has a different collar than the RE5 figurine. Barry's red vest also has bulkiness in areas that looked just flat in the REmake model. Both Barry and Rebecca actually look like their arms go into their shirt sleeves, as opposed to the near flatness of the REmake models. Rebecca's RE5 figurine also has different gloves.

Now I am not a tech wizard, so maybe these are the original CG models made years ago, yet not compressed to fit the Gamecube discs, but otherwise I'd have to say that these models are brand new. Besides, Barry's red vest is the same as STARS Chris's vest in RE5, and look at how Barry's RE5 figurine has grey coloring on the sides as opposed to the REmake model. Rebecca's figurine pose is exactly as the REmake pic I included, and you can see how her face is slightly different. (Her face looks a little older in the RE5 figurine...unfortunately her voice makes her sound like Sherry Birkin.)

Sure, the models look exactly like the ones created for the Gamecube REmake. Which again, is a testament to the talent Capcom poured into REmake. Chris, Jill, and Wesker's models are, after all, based on the REmake ones too.

This is purely my opinion, based on Gamecube pics -vs- lots of pausing and naked eye examination of the youtube vids. But you can see multiple details that indicate the RE5 builds are new/upgraded.

Either way, no one will know for sure until we can (hopefully) see the characters in play. Or someone at Capcom decides to explicitly tell us whether or not a little or a lot of work went into Barry & Rebecca's RE5 models.
    Last edited by Jill's Boob; 01-18-2010, 01:08 AM.

Comment

I actually hope Barry and Rebecca will be playable, or at least Capcom give an update on what they're doing ever since Umbrella's downfall, but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse View Post
        I actually hope Barry and Rebecca will be playable, or at least Capcom give an update on what they're doing ever since Umbrella's downfall, but I'm not holding my breath.
        Yeah hopefully there will be a file on both of them. Like there is for Chris, Jill, Wesker and the B.S.A.A.

Comment

@Jill's Boob

You seem to be right about Barry's shirt. The details that are "different" is the washed out color on Rebecca's collar, the S.T.A.R.S. patch (Smaller and Blue vs Black) and Barry's shirt 'n collar (+Rebecca's + to - change and the polys on her sleeves).

Still don't make them "brand new" models, though. Even though they have small changes, they've hardly been touched... The increase in polys on the Rebecca one appears to be so few that you can count them on hands and toes. Heck, they might just be some old alternate assets or they just didn't use the exact same assets that were used in REmake (did RE0 Rebecca have the sleeves? She might be the Umbrella Chronicles model, though.) Either way, they're pretty much less "new models" than Resident Evil Director's Cut and Director's Cut Dual Shock Version were different games.

The other stuff you see as different is most likely just the differences in how the two engines handles rendering of stuff. Still, nice catch on some of the other little details that appear to be differences in the actual models 'n textures (when compared to REmake's assets).

Comment

Yeah, I shouldn't have said "brand new" as often as I did, as later in my post I said "new/upgraded." Either way, the character models are much cleaner and there are indeed some subtle differences. Again, this says a lot about the work that went into REmake almost 10 years ago.

Rebecca's face is still different than before, at least to me.

It will be interesting to see these in motion, if they are indeed playable Mercs characters (which I think they will be), and on one of the websites (Japanese or western, I cannot remember right now) there is a slot for a third trailer for the DLC content, which has yet to be activated.

Maybe that will give us a glimpse of Barry/Rebecca ahead of the release date. And knowing Capcom and their penchant for giving fans a bit too much, a bit too soon, that will likely be the case.
            Last edited by Jill's Boob; 01-18-2010, 05:40 PM.

Comment

One thing I've found it a bit odd that people haven't entertained the idea of yet is... what if Mercenaries Reunion uses a full new cast? (with some returns of the Mercs/Versus crew, of course.) It just struck me that currently, assuming all Mercs/Versus chars make a return + the new DLC costumes work too... that'd mean you'd have 5x Chris and 5x Sheva (that's a pretty boring ensemble right there)

It just struck me the other day that "what if" they eliminate the duplicates (but still keep the alts as costumes) and expand upon it with new cast members.

Original cast was 10 chars, right? (Chris x3, Sheva x3, Jill x2, Wesker x2)

So you axe those down to 4 chars (instead of treating them as a total of 14, 'cause of the new outfits for Chris + Sheva)

You're up to 7 if you add Rebecca, Josh and Barry. Which means you're still 3 chars short if the goal is 10... but who knows where they'd draw the line... and if this train of thought is even sound
              (as we've already seen Exo-Skeleton Chris and Office Lady Sheva in Mercs, sporting spin kicks and giant belt-loaded mini-guns)

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                One thing I've found it a bit odd that people haven't entertained the idea of yet is... what if Mercenaries Reunion uses a full new cast? (with some returns of the Mercs/Versus crew, of course.) It just struck me that currently, assuming all Mercs/Versus chars make a return + the new DLC costumes work too... that'd mean you'd have 5x Chris and 5x Sheva (that's a pretty boring ensemble right there)

It just struck me the other day that "what if" they eliminate the duplicates (but still keep the alts as costumes) and expand upon it with new cast members.

Original cast was 10 chars, right? (Chris x3, Sheva x3, Jill x2, Wesker x2)

So you axe those down to 4 chars (instead of treating them as a total of 14, 'cause of the new outfits for Chris + Sheva)

You're up to 7 if you add Rebecca, Josh and Barry. Which means you're still 3 chars short if the goal is 10... but who knows where they'd draw the line... and if this train of thought is even sound
                (as we've already seen Exo-Skeleton Chris and Office Lady Sheva in Mercs, sporting spin kicks and giant belt-loaded mini-guns)
                Depends on whether Mercs Reunion replaces the normal Mercenaries or not. I doubt they would get rid of all the alternate costume characters. If they are two separate things then what you are suggesting is very possible.

What should the next 3 characters be if that is the case?
                HUNK
                Majini with gun
                Joseph or Brad
                I would like to see Tofu as well

Brad could be a joke character that has very weak weapons and/or low health.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                  We also saw Folklore Sheva in Mercs too. Straddling a man and gripping a nice, long... knife, going into his chest.

Comment

Originally posted by BLSR1 View Post
                    Depends on whether Mercs Reunion replaces the normal Mercenaries or not. I doubt they would get rid of all the alternate costume characters. If they are two separate things then what you are suggesting is very possible.

What should the next 3 characters be if that is the case?
                    HUNK
                    Majini with gun
                    Joseph or Brad
                    I would like to see Tofu as well

Brad could be a joke character that has very weak weapons and/or low health.
                    Mercs Reunion is a new menu option under the Extras menu, at least going by the PS3 2.0 patch videos on YouTube and such. So it does not "replace" Versus/Mercenaries it seems.

I'm just thinking that it'd be a very poor idea to call it "Reunion" (and some must've objected internally to this) if all they're doing is "possibly" add Barry/Rebecca and expand the clone army...
                    +Since at least the PS3 patch appears to (given its size) contain the new models for most stuff, it seems kinda odd to not just add things to the old Mercs/Versus modes instead (patch content for cross-compatibility with all users, regardless of what they might've bought)

Of course... these things don't always make sense

Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
                    We also saw Folklore Sheva in Mercs too. Straddling a man and gripping a nice, long... knife, going into his chest.
                    Ah. Right. Guess we've probably seen Warrior too in some shot somewhere too then.

Comment

Originally posted by Vixtro View Post
                      So when does this hit the 360 version?

Comment

DLC release schedule is up on the official website.

Comment

Originally posted by A-J View Post
                          DLC release schedule is up on the official website.
                          I mean the patch, not the content itself but I guess 360 owners will have to wait till the content is released?

Tis strange because patches are a common thing for 360 games...

Comment

Even this patch was an accidental early-release it seems, and considering how strict MS is with these things, you'll probably not see anything like this on the 360.

Comment

Ya it's not really too surprising now when I think about it, I remember back when the Japanese RE5 demo was released, anyone could get it no matter where they were in the world as long as they had a Japanese account. I myself got it straight away and played it for a bit but a few days later, MS locked out anyone from playing the demo if they were not located in Japan, regardless if they had a Japanese account. Since then, big game demo's released exclusively in a certain country can only be downloaded and played in said country. They normally become available to any country after a week or so though.

BTW, love your avatar, that damn line tortured me on pro.
                              Last edited by Vixtro; 01-19-2010, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X