Best Resident Evil ports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Resident Evil ports?

I just got around to picking up Resident Evil 2 for the Gamecube at GameStop and love how much better character models look, but for some reason, the game seems to look a tad darker than it should, compared to the PS1 version and also loading takes just maybe 1 sec longer.

Made me wonder what versions of all the RE game were better!

I'll most likely edit this post when others recommend the versions.

--Best Ports-- (so far)

REmake - Wii
    RE0 - Wii

Resident Evil - Nothing yet
    Resident Evil 2 - Dreamcast/PC at a tie. GameCube in 2nd place
    Resident Evil 3 - Dreamcast/PC at a tie. GameCube in 2nd place
    Resident Evil: Code Veronica - Nothing yet
    Resident Evil 4 - Wii
    Last edited by MeanBob; 07-23-2010, 12:32 PM.

The original on GC looked brilliant. Though I do feel the lesser graphics of the PSX versions added to the fear factor.

Comment

I gotta side with the PC versions sure the pre-rendered backgrounds suffer and the audio can be choppy but you do get the advantage of being able to skip the door animations and with the likes of Enrico, Rusty et all modding them within an inch of their lives you get more lifespan out of them too. I originally played them all on various home consoles but haven't touched those versions in years in favour of playing the modified PC scenarios . . .
      sigpic

Comment

seriously where can i find all of these PC scenarios

Comment

Some aint as easily found these days but you'll do well to try:

You could even try:

http://www.the-horror.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42
          Last edited by Rancid Cheese; 07-15-2010, 09:30 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid Cheese View Post
            Fixed. We don't use that one anymore for mods, everyone moved back to the old RE4/5 PC Forums.
            sigpic
            Non-blurry Signature Version
            Youtube | Steam | Website (Under Construction)

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid Cheese View Post
              At the risk of sounding stupid (Not a huge PC gamer) what kind of requirements would I need to run the games/mods? My computer is relatively good, but it generally falls short of what it's claimed to be. i.e games that are supposed to work on full settings struggle on minimum.

Comment

Or try getting a real domain, as Tripod is one of the shittiest ones available. :p

Comment

Originally posted by Summoner View Post
                  At the risk of sounding stupid (Not a huge PC gamer) what kind of requirements would I need to run the games/mods? My computer is relatively good, but it generally falls short of what it's claimed to be. i.e games that are supposed to work on full settings struggle on minimum.
                  I run a laptop personally, the mods run smoothly - I've really only seen people with computers that are somewhat considered "ancient". I've got an old laptop with barely any ram that can still run the majority of the mods without any issues.

As for RE4/5 it would be more than likely the preferable one for new people interested in modifying RE4 or RE5 to make it a bit more custom, personal and perhaps even more of a challenge.

The only thing is, that common sense would be nice on there - to read before you ask otherwise you will, of course get sarcastic comments which is to be a tad expected. Of course, feel free to ask anything if you can't find it in the notes over there.

Anyway, I'm agreeing with Rancid on this one - I'm more partial to the PC versions for the very reason that they can be modified for the most part.
                  Last edited by Enetirnel; 07-16-2010, 03:09 AM.
                  sigpic
                  Non-blurry Signature Version
                  Youtube | Steam | Website (Under Construction)

Comment

I've got pretty much all RE's (bar 5) on PC.

Again mainly for the ability to customise the game, even if its only minor with a new costume but it just adds that little bit of variety to games that I've hammered to death with replays.

Depending on what your definition of Best is really determines what you want. As in extras, graphics, stability or customisation.

For example RE1 PC is probably the better graphically but because of its poor forsight, the newer clock speeds on processors make this game run too fast and
                    crash. The PSX under emulation can beat this graphically. The saturn has the extra battle mode but the worst graphics.

Its all pretty much subjective.

Comment

PS1 RE1 is the only one to have Director's Cut and Dual Shock too, but NDS is the only one that has fancy new models, ass grabbing, and moar.

Just like the N64 has the only RE2 port with proper analog support, EX files and various jadda jadda. While the SourceNext PC release is the only with DVD quality FMVs.

I guess as far as Resident Evil 4 goes, running the Wii Version in Dolphin might be the absolute best choice, but Resident Evil 5 lacks DLC on the PC version, the 360 version probably wont have motion controls and the PS3 version is generally considered the inferior (if you enjoy running around with a looking glass, spotting differences, or for some reason wants to play insane amounts of split-screen mercs)

So, yeah, it's all pretty subjective. Grab multiple versions, play them based on your mood.

Comment

Originally posted by Enetirnel View Post
                        Fixed. We don't use that one anymore for mods, everyone moved back to the old RE4/5 PC Forums.
                        Apology's, I'll give it a look . . .
                        sigpic

Comment

Ok, getting back on topic...

IMO the best port was RE4 for Wii. Because here you got the best version possible of said game. All the great graphics (including the particle/lighting effects & polygons missing from the PS2/PC versions) and the uncompressed audio from the original GameCube version plus all the extra content from the PS2 version (Separate Ways, new costumes, weapons). Not to mention the motion controls which actually are very good. To the point I rarely go back to playing with the GCN controls (RE4 Wii Edition allows you to play using said control pad).

My second fave port is RE2 for Dreamcast. It's the best version there is of said game. Game runs at 60fps and in hi-res (the early 2k version of high-resolution, though).
                          Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                          sigpic

Comment

Is there a dip in texture quality when it moves to the extra content from the ps2 / pc side or does it look like it's been made from assets with equal quality to the gamecube version?
                            If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                              IMO the best port was RE4 for Wii. Because here you got the best version possible of said game. All the great graphics (including the particle/lighting effects & polygons missing from the PS2/PC versions) and the uncompressed audio from the original GameCube version plus all the extra content from the PS2 version (Separate Ways, new costumes, weapons). Not to mention the motion controls which actually are very good. To the point I rarely go back to playing with the GCN controls (RE4 Wii Edition allows you to play using said control pad).
                              Really? Are the cutscenes actually in-game too? Was curious at, maybe, the costumes would still stick on Leon and Ashley, unlike the PS2 version where it'll go to his original "jacket costume"

If that's the case, RE4 on Wii will be the first on my list so far on the first post of this thread.

Originally posted by Pikminister
                              My second fave port is RE2 for Dreamcast. It's the best version there is of said game. Game runs at 60fps and in hi-res (the early 2k version of high-resolution, though).
                              You're lke the second person I've seen say that. Does anyone else agree?
                              Last edited by MeanBob; 07-18-2010, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X