Imagine if... RE2 got a gamecube-styled remake for the 3DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael_Jackson View Post
    Here's my honest opinion of why a remake for RE2 wouldn't be a bad idea.

Let me start off with a scenario I was faced a couple of weeks ago. I went over to my friends house and we played on his modded xbox(yea yea I know). Anyways, the game "Bionic Commando" showed up and I was like "Hey that's an amazing game!! Lets play it!!". Mind you, I played Bionic Commando when I was like 7 years old, I LOVED the game.

So what happens? My friend tells me the games boring, and not exciting, while I was thinking "how the hell do you not find this game exciting!!". But I didn't realize that my reflections of the game are from the past, not present.

Same thing for Resident Evil 2. Sure the game was great and almost flawless in most views, but a remake can fine tune the graphics, add a couple of new sections to the game like in REmake, and really utilize, for example, Xbox 360's power. My god I could see it now!

Doing this would benefit Capcom such as targeting a new generation of gamers; gamers who were too young to play Resident Evil 2, or never did back in the PS1 and N64 days. A game can always have a make-over which isn't a horrible thing. Although RE2 isn't necessarily "due", it would be cool.
    This I could completely agree with. It isn't a game that needs a remake, but if it got a quality one it would be a good thing. Of course with the over the shoulder and action orientation the series has taken, the new fanbase or even new comers in general may not like the static camera. I still love it, it brings cinematic overtones and has always impressed me.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
      I spoke with Alyson Court and Hideki Kamiya and both expressed interest in working together to do an RE2 remake. Kamiya even said he would do it like Mikami did for his remake.

I think the problem is that Capcom lost most of their talent, and I don't see them bringing Kamiya back if they ever felt the need to remake RE2. Unlike RE1, RE2 doesn't really need a remake to gloss over anything except perhaps the graphics.

The voice acting was much better in RE2 than RE1. It made sense for REmake to recast new VAs, but wouldn't so much for RE2. Darkside Chronicles already did this regardless with the exception of Alyson Court and Sally Cahill by hiring the L.A. vocal talent instead of going back to the rest of the cast in Canada. It's understandable for Sherry since the original VA grew up and couldn't maintain the same voice, but other characters not so much. Brings up another question on whether it'd be right to keep Paul Mercier or go back to Paul Haddad who would love to come back and voice Leon again.

Next up you have the game play and locations. RE2 was a major step up from RE1, and REmake redesigned the mansion to include new rooms and puzzles. That's good and all, but after so many games taking place in Raccoon City I'm afraid the R.P.D. has worn out its welcome. You have RE3, the Outbreaks and now the Chronicles series to use the R.P.D. and its layout. What more could they do at this point except add a few fetch quests and the like? The game play is also a factor. Should it go back to camera angles? I'd prefer it, but Capcom has already banked on RE4 and RE5 to the point where over-the-shoulder seems to be the new staple for RE games. The next two RE titles for the 3DS are still using it. It would be expected that a RE2 remake go this route. Kamiya is known for his action more than horror so I'm sure the style would end up less like REmake and more like RE4. Up the action, make it stylized like DMC. This could be a problem.

New enemies and bosses would also be expected. REmake gave us crimson heads and Lisa Trevor which went alongside zombies and the tyrant. RE2 already has a load of boss encounters with Mr. X and Birkin to name the main ones. I could see crimson heads return, but it's hard to envision more tyrants and enemies to think up. It's not impossible, but they might as well brainstorm creatures for a new RE game than find a few for a remake. And really Birkin ad Mr. X mutated and performed a lot of fights....the graphics are the only thing I see going for the RE2 remake in this regard.

And finally graphics. Sure they could be good eye candy, but 3DS is hoping to bank on the 3D aspect since that's the "hot new gimmick" right now. I see the possibility of RE2 on it to be less about depth and more about what kind of shit can pop out at you.

Not sold on the idea. The era where RE was at its finest was REmake on the gamecube IMO. But of course the gamecube didn't have any gimmick features to it. No motion controls or 3D involved yet it still stood on its legs to impress both newcomers and fans of the original. Not like the original was hard to rise above. RE2 on the other hand is a different story.
      Alyson is always game when it comes to RE. She loves the franchise and especially Claire Redfield. So no surprise there about her wanting to do a remake. She got a taste of that with Darkside Chroinicles.

Paul Mercier has been doing the Leon voice for quite a while now. Two games and a movie - RE: Degeneration. And he's probably going to return to voice Leon in the sequel. I really see no reason to change him now. He doesn't write Leon's one liners, if that's what bothers you about him. He does the job.

BTW, did you knew that the GameCube was actually going to have 3D capabilities? Nintendo was trying to make it that way and Luigi's Mansion was going to be the game that introduced that technology. But they couldn't figure out how to implement it without asking consumers to pay a pretty penny for it.
      Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
      sigpic

Comment

Actually I should mention that when I spoke to Alyson about it she said she would be on board for the RE2 remake if Kamiya was involved. That prompted his response.

*I have my doubts about her claim though. Even if RE2 is her favorite game in the series something tells me that as an actress she would still sign on if Kamiya wasn't involved regardless. As you said she loves the series, and hasn't stopped voicing her yet.

*I don't hate Paul Mercier. I like his work a lot actually. But given that Paul Haddad voiced Leon first and wants to come back wouldn't it be cruel to deny him this if they were pulling Alyson Court and Sally Cahill back? Richard Waugh was replaced by Peter Jessop in REmake but came back for RE Zero and RE4. And Sally Cahill was replaced as Ada for Umbrella Chronicles but came back for Darkside Chronicles.

*I never knew that, but I'm glad it didn't. Made them work with their limitations instead of relying on what could have been really shoddy 3D. 3D is a gimmick, but poor/outdated 3D is even worse of a tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
          RE2 was a major step up from RE1, and REmake redesigned the mansion to include new rooms and puzzles. That's good and all, but after so many games taking place in Raccoon City I'm afraid the R.P.D. has worn out its welcome. You have RE3, the Outbreaks and now the Chronicles series to use the R.P.D. and its layout. What more could they do at this point except add a few fetch quests and the like?
          I would not be opposed if they redesigned and updated the RPD, to be honest. Add bathrooms, doors, and staircases to the main hall, for one. I'm not saying scrap the canon and make a whole new building, but the RPD we know and love makes so little sense that it actually frustrates me. The layout makes no sense even for an art museum, yet alone a fully-functioning precinct.

The locations in the Resident Evil series in general (in particular those in Raccoon) are poorly designed. I could give plenty of examples, but I'd be here all night. The biggest exception to this is the Outbreak games, which actually have scenarios that look like real buildings would be designed. Sure, Underbelly might get a little tedious to explore since it has more bathrooms in it than the rest of the games in the series combined, but I prefer architectural and structural realism over anything else in games.
          Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

^ One of the reasons I still play Omikron: The Nomad Soul is it's vast open world which is still miles ahead of gta imo.
            If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X