Sega Saturn version of Resident Evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zombie_X View Post
    Well I don't know if it's the same outfit but they sure look similar.
    No it's not the same, but some fans agree that because it looks similar to beta Leon's outfit that it was a prototype for that design.

I like to think that at least anyway.

Comment

Yah it's best alternate costume for Chris of them all for the original. Jill's new Saturn costume is a complete mess though.

I know the lab background has also been changed, in the Tyrant battle room all the large green vials are now smashed and broken. I'd love to know of any other changes that the Saturn version had in its backgrounds?

Panzer Dragoon Saga is one of the very best games ever made, by the way.
      http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
      http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
      Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by [STARS]TyranT View Post
        Yah it's best alternate costume for Chris of them all for the original. Jill's new Saturn costume is a complete mess though.

I know the lab background has also been changed, in the Tyrant battle room all the large green vials are now smashed and broken. I'd love to know of any other changes that the Saturn version had in its backgrounds?

Panzer Dragoon Saga is one of the very best games ever made, by the way.
        I feel like a terrible Sega Saturn owner for not having that game, but it's so damned expensive!

I just wish I had picked it up back in the day...

Comment

I found it looked much better on the Saturn. Personally.

Comment

A little bit late, but here are my own videos about RE1 Saturn:

Note: due to technical problems, I couldn't record the sound and instead added the music created for each room

- Chris Bonus costume - kinda similar to Leon's outfit in RE1.5

- the "new" enemy called Tick
            - le "nouveau" monstre de la version Saturn n'est qu'un Hunter avec une autre texture- Saturn "new" monster is simply a Hunter with a different texture

- Two Tyrants

The Battle Mode, in 2 parts, played by my friend Ultra Tofu (with original sound)

Bloodborne: my Facebook page and my Youtube page

Comment

Originally posted by Vixtro View Post
              I feel like a terrible Sega Saturn owner for not having that game, but it's so damned expensive!

I just wish I had picked it up back in the day...
              Well just buy the Japanese version, you can get it for around $6USD. I bought the USA and PAL copies for about $25 each.

BATTLE MODE (WITH SOUND):
              A quick capture of my brother playing Battle Mode in BIO-SS. And yes... we used Action Replay to get R.Launcher and infinite health... how shameful.....NOW F...

That battle mode video I made uses cheat codes, this way I could fit it all together in one video.
              Last edited by Zombie_X; 03-19-2011, 11:41 AM.
              My Head-Fi Page

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie_X View Post
                Well just buy the Japanese version, you can get it for around $6USD. I bought the USA and PAL copies for about $25 each.

BATTLE MODE (WITH SOUND):
                A quick capture of my brother playing Battle Mode in BIO-SS. And yes... we used Action Replay to get R.Launcher and infinite health... how shameful.....NOW F...

That battle mode video I made uses cheat codes, this way I could fit it all together in one video.
                Problem with that is, I don't understand any Japanese.

Comment

You don't need to, if you have beaten the English version then you know what to do already, plus in the J version they speak in English.
                  My Head-Fi Page

Comment

One day I'll get a a Saturn and a copy of this game. Would be neat to give it a run and see all the changes

Comment

A list of what I found so far:

Saturn notes:
                      Some backgrounds are changed. Most notably:
                      Tyrant Room (Cases are smashed, and a second Tyrant case is there)
                      The room where you drain the water in Neptune's tank has extra jars on the shelf
                      The room where you obtain the 003 room key has ARMS written outside its wall now
                      Chris and Jill have an alternate costume which is only available in the Saturn version
                      You can change back to your original costume now
                      BATTLE MODE
                      A second Tyrant bursts out of a tube in the lab after the first is defeated (it dissolves) when you approach the console
                      The sounds for finding Rebecca in the 1F save room alive are now correct (initially its OH SHIT music, then its revealed she is alive and plays properly)
                      Censored intro and kenneth still
                      Models are entirely re-done. They are lower poly and possibly lower colors than other versions
                      Ticks are in the catacombs now, they are a completely new model and brown in color. There are no Hunters in the catacombs, and they have different audio (somewhat)
                      After Enrico dies for Chris, only one tick is present in the room (usually two hunters)
                      Hunters seem to have variations in colors, brown colored ones as well as green ones
                      Many sound effects are lower quality
                      FMV's seem to be better quality (at least better framerate)
                      2D sprites have dithering applied (looks horrible)
                      Models (tiger statue in particular) no longer have the PSX "flickering"
                      When Chris is saved by Rebecca and transported back to the save room, she only says his name once in this version rather than twice (as he is waking up)
                      Crow sounds are different (1.5 ones???)
                      Snakes are grey/red colored in this version
                      Zombies have added sound effects for moans (new ones)
                      Plant42 has different texture colors (similar to PC ver?)
                      Bee's have a very bright color now
                      Enrico has black hair instead of gray (texture limitation?)
                      Walking down stairs is done at a slower step-by-step basis now, rather than skipping large amounts (for FPV mode)
                      Added Saturn credits
                      Special Key (Closet) rotates differently when you earn it
                      Brain/blood splatter hits walls only in this version!!
                      Barry different (re recorded) dialog at P42!!!!!
                      Wesker meeting music different JILL
                      Jill doesn't have to fight a second Tyrant, only Chris!
                      Also, the Tick's aren't just re-skinned Hunters. They are a new model which is very similar to the Hunters, except they have lobster like claws and a tail? There are re-skinned Hunters, but they are brown (see pics below).
                      Attached Files

Comment

Cheers for the list Cal, I'm going to save that as reference for future use.

Comment

Ticks look ace, definately for me the highlight of the Saturn version.

Particularly like their exclusive death on your character where they either slice your throat or chest (hard to tell what the original intention was), you stand there blood spraying then they finish you off with a decapitation.
                          Last edited by [STARS]TyranT; 03-21-2011, 04:21 PM.
                          http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                          http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                          Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

Never expected this thread to be as busy as this, actually thought i was the last person alive to not know every single last detail!

Thanks for all the answers!

Comment

I have to say, those 'Tick' enemies are actually a solid incentive for me to make the effort in tracking down a copy for the Sega Saturn. They remind me of the Brain Sucker enemies from RE3. Kind of. Makes me wonder what the basis was for them too, given the lobster-esque claws I would suspect it was a crustacean.
                              See you in hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X