Mercenaries 3D saved files are permanent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
    they dont, but they do care about his money...his precious, precious money.
    Which they will not see with a used sale...
    Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Yeah, it is worth remembering that at least some companies consider second hand games as bad as piracy, because they see exactly the same amount of money from both - nothing. So for Capcom convincing people to buy the game new is vital. It's why I'm not buying any RE games new now - it's a way to play them without giving Capcom a single shiny penny.

This is rather harsh, I must admit. I wonder how they're going to make Revelations and ORC less desirable for second hand gamers...I suspect you'll have to buy a Play Online thing for ORC if you get it second hand, as some games do now.

Comment

Capcom has never really done that sort of thing to combat used games sales, in fact they've done nothing I can recall, they seem to milk anything they can as DLC (disc locked content) instead. This was likely an oversight because it is a weak as hell form of fighting used sales.
        Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

I wouldn't be astounded if they started trying to stop second hand sales. This is Capcom - Money is King, and every sale they make new instead of second hand is more profit to them. So long as the measures don't cost too much money, and the backlash isn't too great.

Comment

Well like I've said it just feels lie Capcom is trying very hard not to get me to play this game. It was rushed, shows signs of laziness, cutting corners, and excluded content for additional DLC.

At best I would get this used, and I'm sure others have felt that way too. Capcom knows this so of course their next move is to combat that. If I wasn't so sure that a re-release would be coming out with bonus content I'd be pretty pissed.

Comment

Rushed how? Signs of laziness how? Cut corners how? Excluded content for additional DLC how?

For fuck's sake, you haven't even played the game so how can you possibly make those sorts of statements?

DLC hasn't even been officially confirmed, the gameplay mechanic is suited PERFECTLY to a handheld system, and it fills in a gap ahead of a the "real" Resident Evil release next year.

Comment

Well, rushed...

Kawata:
                The plan for Resident Evil: Revelations was moving along first, but we were putting a lot of work into the scenario and other aspects of the game, so it was going to take a long time to complete. However, we wanted to release something soon after the Nintendo 3DS system hit the market, so we started making and testing Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D - the game system of which was already pretty much in place. I thought Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D stood above Resident Evil: Revelations when it came to impact rather than fear, and there was a desire to see it become its own product, so it worked out perfectly.
                I suppose laziness and cutting corners would be the lack of new content. As far as I know, at least, it's purely stuff recycled from RE4 and RE5 with a couple of add ons such as some kind of experience system and recoloured bonus costumes? All for a full price.

But, yes, DLC at least is relatively likely. It's that or The Super Special Edition.

Comment

How does that block of text possibly suggest it was rushed? How can you possibly suggest something has or hasn't been rushed, when you don't have a timeframe from when the project begun?

There is new content though, the whole system has been redesigned to ensure there's more replayability beyond the simple scoreboards that they're used to be. So again, that's a no.

And no matter how likely the DLC is or isn't, you can't hold something like that against the game when it's not even official.

Comment

Would you mind explaining the additional re-playability? I admit, I haven't followed Mercs very closely - I was under the impression it was just areas from the RE4 and RE5 Mercs with the eight characters and there costumes. And, of course, unlocking stuff. Even some of the bonus costumes are recycled from other games. What am I missing?

The block of text suggests it's rushed because they were developing Revelations, realized it wouldn't be ready for release at the same time as the 3DS part way through, and decided to make this instead. Which, if nothing else, shows it's had far less development time than Revelations has. It was started after and completed sooner. Which certainly sounds somewhat rushed.

Comment

Again, that doesn't exactly set a timeframe from when it started development. Was it early in Revelations development, or only a few months ago? It certainly doesn't suggest anything like "far less" development time, that's complete guesswork.

Games like Gears Of War started development before Duke Nukem: Forever. is Gears a rushed title? That's the principle you're applying.

There's like a ton of unlockable "perks" the more you play through it. The Famitsu review explained it a bit better than i could. Think they estimated at about 80 hours gameplay to completion?

Comment

Originally posted by KylieDog View Post
                        Used copy buyer, Capcom shouldn't care about you.
                        Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
                        they dont, but they do care about his money...his precious, precious money.
                        I understand that Capcom is a business and their goal is to obviously make money. As well as the fact that they see no profit from used sales. However, rather than cheat me out of a used copy, they should make a game worthy of it's full price. Let's face it, Mercs is looking pretty rushed, several reviewers said it themselves, and the character roster is pathetic. They said themselves in that Iwata interview that the game was developed rather quickly.. It's just not worth the full price in my opinion.. If this game was, lets say, $20, I'd have no problem buying it new!

..But I'm not saying the game won't be fun; I'm sure it will be. (I just don't think the amount of "fun" is worth my $40. ..)
                        sigpic

Comment

From Destructoid:

"Capcom: Resi Evil Mercs 3D Won't Lose Trade-in Value"
                          Capcom has made a rather strange statement concerning the revelation that you can't delete save data in Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D. Without clarifying exactly what the inability to delete saves actually means, it has said that the game's value as a used title won't diminish.

"The game's value at second-hand in the UK is not affected by whether or not the game can have its data reset," said the company. "Customers in the UK will not experience a reduced second-hand value should they wish to trade in their purchase."

Wait, what?

I've never seen a publisher actually assure its customers that they can trade a game in, and to do so without even explaining the situation that led to this statement is just plain weird. Capcom managed to say nothing much about anything at all, yet somehow did so in the oddest way possible. I feel more in the dark than I did earlier.

Capcom: Resi Evil 3DS will retain value [Eurogamer]
                          Last edited by PracticalAl; 06-27-2011, 11:14 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KylieDog View Post
                            Used copy buyer, Capcom shouldn't care about you.
                            im a used copy buyer too.so be it.lol
                            sigpic
                            www.unitedstateslines.net

Comment

I don't see how it's Capcom's place to comment on it's worth to retailers in the second hand market.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
                                Again, that doesn't exactly set a timeframe from when it started development. Was it early in Revelations development, or only a few months ago? It certainly doesn't suggest anything like "far less" development time, that's complete guesswork.

Games like Gears Of War started development before Duke Nukem: Forever. is Gears a rushed title? That's the principle you're applying.

There's like a ton of unlockable "perks" the more you play through it. The Famitsu review explained it a bit better than i could. Think they estimated at about 80 hours gameplay to completion?

Well, yes, compared to Forever every game is rushed. But if you want a more exact time frame, and this is guess work I admit, I'd say Mercs has been in development for a year. It was about late June last year that we heard rumours of RE5 running on the 3DS, probably a test to see if Mercs was viable or an early version of the game itself. The game was then announced that September. So, yeah, I'd guess it was roughly a year, maybe a little longer. Compared to the two or three your average game receives...

As for the perks, I can honestly not find any details beyond you can strengthen your characters and you can aim and shoot. However, I can see for myself that the game is made of reused assets from RE4 and RE5. The characters and levels are pretty much ripped from those, as I'm guessing are the sound effects and music files. None of that speaks of a massive budget, in terms of cash or man hours.

Which isn't to say it's a bad game. Possibly that it's a lazy game, or a rushed game, but it is ideally suited to the 3DS in most ways.

Originally posted by Stu View Post
                                I don't see how it's Capcom's place to comment on it's worth to retailers in the second hand market.
                                People who buy games and then trade then in once they're done might be less interested if they're told the game they buy for £30 is only going to be worth a third or less of that traded in again, even if they bring it back next week. Since this seems to be an intentional move on Capcom's part, for whatever reason, they do not want to cost themselves sales.

Comment

Working...
                                X