Darwin's Children Novel Similarities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darwin's Children Novel Similarities

Darwin's Children, a novel I picked up earlier today, seems to have some rather interesting similarities to RE as of late.

It's a sequel to a book from the late 90s by the same author, Greg Bear called "Darwin's Radio" which was about a Endogenous retrovirus that was called SHEVA, it rapidly speeds up evolution whilst the infected are still in the womb.

The novel goes on around several characters during the discovery of the plague and/or disease until what it actually is discovered, the public response and the U.S. military's response for prevention.

The tag for the back cover is as the following -

Evolution is no longer just a theory.

Stella Nova is one of the 'virus children', a generation of genetically enhanced babies born a dozen years before to mothers infected with the SHEVA virus.

In fact, the children represent the next great evolutionary leap and a new species of human, Homo sapiens novus, but this is officially denied. They're gentle, charming and persuasive, possessed of remarkable traits. Nevertheless, they are locked up in special schools, quarantined from society, feared and reviled.

Is it just me or do these have a somewhat similar sound to some sections of the plot and the like with RE?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I just thought it was an interesting coincidence.
    sigpic
    Non-blurry Signature Version
    Youtube | Steam | Website (Under Construction)

The concept of super-men or an evolved species of human is pretty common and dates back pre-Darwin. Spencer was already compared to Hitler, who had his whole Aryan thing going which is pretty much the exact same concept only totally incorrect. Parasite Eve II had a plot which involved the use of a virus to create evolutionary branches, transforming humans into several different kinds of creatures, different spin on the same concept.

Sounds like a cool novel though. I have to check it out. I like the whole premise and even the general idea of literally inducing and speeding up evolution (as long as it doesn't involve death). I'm also all for gene therapy.
    Last edited by News Bot; 07-28-2011, 12:25 PM.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Working...
    X