Biohazard co-op build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biohazard co-op build?

So I'm curious about the co-op build v0.00, doesn anyone have any scans, footage or genral information about it? After spending time with v0.01 and v0.02 I'm curious to see what v0.00 was about.

I think it's wrong to call it the "v0.00" build. We can only guess it's previous to the two earlier discs there are in public hands for obvious reasons, but considering that they were labeled like that just because they were the first and second disc Capcom US sent to the American press doesn't make them absolutely sequential (to say they're v0.01 and v0.02). There's actually one other build that falls between the two, the one that has Wasps instead of the Hunter or the White Zombie on Kenneth's hallway. I'm pretty sure that European and Japanese review discs are labeled very different too, aswell as they are all different builds.

As for the co-op build, there's at least one scan and one video I'm aware of (the images from the scan come from the footage on the video). The scan is from EGM's #075 from October 1995. I don't recall the exact info about the video, I'm sure someone else could tell you from where and when it was captured. I do recall that it was captured by ICE and that it was during a comparison of both Tomb Raider and Resident Evil by some gaming tv show. You can easily find it on youtube.

Comment

Thanks, got a link to the video, having a hard time finding it.

Here are "supposed" release notes of v0.01 and v0.02, unfortunately I can't verify the source of this info or whether it's accurate:

You're right, there's nothing suggesting that other builds didn't fall between the ones we know about, but this is the information I'm using to reference these particular builds, and I presume the co-op build exists in the wild and is labeled v0.00, possibly from the same collection.

By the way, the White zombie in Kenneth's hallway (Tea Room) is present in the v0.02 build.

Comment

Originally posted by geluda View Post
        Here are "supposed" release notes of v0.01 and v0.02, unfortunately I can't verify the source of this info or whether it's accurate:
        0.01 and 0.02 are taken from the printed disc labels. That is, the first one doesn't say anything about version number, while the second disc states "VER .02". Except for the "VER .02" part, the two discs look identical. It's just to tell them apart.

Ridley is right when he says
        "they were the first and second disc Capcom US sent to the American press doesn't make them absolutely sequential"

and is labeled v0.00, possibly from the same collection.
        No, and no...

People always tend to over-analyze version numbers or make up their own fictitious version numbers... And calling something version 0 (point zero zero even) is quite pointless.

What would RE Dash be? RE1 ver. -0.00001? ;)
        Last edited by Anders; 09-20-2011, 02:30 PM.
        lostreleases // demopals

Comment

Thanks, got a link to the video, having a hard time finding it.
          Sorry, I should have left the link. Here's the image though.

You're right, there's nothing suggesting that other builds didn't fall between the ones we know about, but this is the information I'm using to reference these particular builds, and I presume the co-op build exists in the wild and is labeled v0.00, possibly from the same collection.
          No release notes, just a comment of Krieg747 when some dude uploaded the isos at UG. As far as I know it's accurate. Though a bunch of people also knew but prefered to remain silent as there was no need to say anything else that had already been said, or not. The image he refers to is this one. You can also read in it that it says "Welcome to the second upgrade to Resident Evil", so I don't know what made Krieg to assume that there was a "v0.00" disc or that the co-op build could be refered as such. The co-op build may or may not exist as a playable disc outside of Capcom, only thing related to it that has a relatively good chance to be on hands of a collector is the original videotape.
          By the way, the White zombie in Kenneth's hallway (Tea Room) is present in the v0.02 build.
          Didn't know it was called Tea Room, thanks =).

Comment

Originally posted by Anders View Post
            0.01 and 0.02 are taken from the printed disc labels. That is, the first one doesn't say anything about version number, while the second disc states "VER .02". Except for the "VER .02" part, the two discs look identical. It's just to tell them apart.

Ridley is right when he says
            "they were the first and second disc Capcom US sent to the American press doesn't make them absolutely sequential"

No, and no...

People always tend to over-analyze version numbers or make up their own fictitious version numbers... And calling something version 0 (point zero zero even) is quite pointless.

What would RE Dash be? RE1 ver. -0.00001? ;)
            Thanks for the correction! I'm just going off info I've read from other people, so it's good to get a definitive answer on that, didn't mean to stir any false speculation. I guess version numbers are just for the US press to be able to identify which build is which? I guess even calling it the V-Jump build is kind of pointless. :/

Originally posted by Ridley W. Hayes View Post
            Sorry, I should have left the link. Here's the image though.

No release notes, just a comment of Krieg747 when some dude uploaded the isos at UG. As far as I know it's accurate. Though a bunch of people also knew but prefered to remain silent as there was no need to say anything else that had already been said, or not. The image he refers to is this one. You can also read in it that it says "Welcome to the second upgrade to Resident Evil", so I don't know what made Krieg to assume that there was a "v0.00" disc or that the co-op build could be refered as such. The co-op build may or may not exist as a playable disc outside of Capcom, only thing related to it that has a relatively good chance to be on hands of a collector is the original videotape.

Didn't know it was called Tea Room, thanks =).
            I see. Thanks for the image of the disc! I thought that thing was never uploaded! From what is said in that image I posted, v0.01 contains left overs from the co-op build? He claims it contains an image of the status menu? :/ What is meant by that? The co-op feature looked kind of cool, although it's understandable why it was removed. I do like Jill's costume though, perhaps more so than the final one.

Wait... Clearly by that preview of the co-op build, US press recieved a copy, no?

And yes, it's called Tea Room! If you want the names of all the rooms, fire up the 96-01-31 debug build and look through the room change feature, all the names of the rooms, at least what Capcom chose to call them, are there.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2011, 04:03 PM.

Comment

From what is said in that image I posted, v0.01 contains left overs from the co-op build? He claims it contains an image of the status menu? :/ What is meant by that? The co-op feature looked kind of cool, although it's understandable why it was removed. I do like Jill's costume though, perhaps more so than the final one.
              You can find the inventory of the co-op build in the files of the disc. resident-evil-beta had it translated here.

Wait... Clearly by that preview of the co-op build, US press recieved a copy, no?
              No. They most likely got the chance to capture some images from the long cut of the video with the co-op footage, or they were sent some images of it on a Press Kit. I made a quick comparison here.

Comment

1. I guess version numbers are just for the US press to be able to identify which build is which?
                2.I guess even calling it the V-Jump build is kind of pointless. :/
                1. In this case it seems so, yes.
                2. Not if it is the same as the V-Jump build. It's still the V-Jump build even though it's on a press disc for the US.
                lostreleases // demopals

Comment

Originally posted by Ridley W. Hayes View Post
                  You can find the inventory of the co-op build in the files of the disc. resident-evil-beta had it translated here.

No. They most likely got the chance to capture some images from the long cut of the video with the co-op footage, or they were sent some images of it on a Press Kit. I made a quick comparison here.
                  *jaw drops*

Wow! Four portraits? Hmm. And is that stacks of wood I see? The co-op build truely seems something special!

Originally posted by Anders View Post
                  1. In this case it seems so, yes.
                  2. Not if it is the same as the V-Jump build. It's still the V-Jump build even though it's on a press disc for the US.
                  VER .01 is not the V-Jump build because Jill isn't guarding the stairs in the V-Jump 95' presentation! Regardless of it being a minute difference between the two that doesn't really make them any different gameplay wise, it's still a difference all the same that sets the two builds appart development wise.

Footage from the V-Jump Festival '95 presentation of the first Biohazard (Resident Evil) game. Keen eyes may spot some minor differences from the retail vers...

Comment

So is this the only information we have regarding this particular period of development? The game seems so radically different... I'm actually surprised to see the graphic for the bundle of wood, especially considering it's an unused item in the final builds. It makes you realise just how far back they planned to use this item, and makes you question even more why it was scrapped.

Comment

Ice's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmA7sy-C87Q
                      Bloodborne: my Facebook page and my Youtube page

Comment

So is this the only information we have regarding this particular period of development? The game seems so radically different... I'm actually surprised to see the graphic for the bundle of wood, especially considering it's an unused item in the final builds. It makes you realise just how far back they planned to use this item, and makes you question even more why it was scrapped.
                        Scrapped probably because it was a pointless item. I heard it was used for the second floor fireplace where you get the second floor map.

Comment

Working...
                        X