No Hope Left: "A RE6 Rant" Some Spoilers may be present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Hope Left: "A RE6 Rant" Some Spoilers may be present

Sorry for the confusing writing style, I just have ton's of thoughts on the new trailer and topics spreading from it. I am aware there is a RE6 thread but this is more of a RE Continuity debate and a debate on the downfall and rise of the series.
    Resident Evil 6 was just announced by Capcom and a trailer was released. Resident Evil like any long going fictional canon storyline has a good amount of plot holes and three fan-base that they market to: survival-horror (old-school RE gamers), the Re4 &5 crowd (the Gears of War action gamers aka next gen gamers), and the casual chronicles players (the first person rail shooter on the Wii).
    Something I find extreamly interesting about the Resident Evil series is how no one is ever happy with anything Capcom does. Resident Evil 1-3 were some of the best games with a slight improvement with Resident Evil: ReBirth aka RE1 on the Gamecube. Then came Resident Evil 4 and everyone lost their minds. Fast forward a few years and Resident Evil 5 came out, first promising zombies and then relapsing to the RE4 Ganado creatures. Ever since Revelations and RE: Mercenaries was announced and even Operation Raccoon City I have had no hope until I saw the trailer for Resident Evil 6. The joke is that the game tag-line is "No Hope Left" and I think this was genious but unintentional play at the traditional fan-base having no hope left for the series!
    I did not want to get excited for RE6 I was almost to the point of giving up on the series all together. But I must admit I am very excited for RE6. I want nothing more than to have the old-school days abck but they are gone, gaming has evolved (or devolved to some). The fact is that if Capcom continued to use the same Re1-3 engines the series would die. That is a fact. No one besides the hard-core gamers would purchase the games and there would not be enough income to justify the production of such games.
    If you want old school Resident Evil: PLAY THE OLD GAMES. If you are desperate for new storylines and settings you can easily get a PC version of one of the old games and skin it to fit whatever you want, use your imagination.

Rant Over.

I am very plesed that Capcom did not spoil anything too early. I was very dissapointed when Resident Evil 5 promised zombies as the main enemy and didn't deliver.
    Resident Evil 6 I believe will be a mixture of the two main fan-bases: action/over-the-shoulder shooter and survival horror. With up to three protagonists there is a large prossibility for different game play mechanics. Chris will have a more action approach like his story in RE5 and Leon will have more survival horror, I do not know what the third mystery character, if they are even playable it has not been confirmed yet, will have for game play.
    As for the story line: it is the logical approach and one that has caused so much hate from traditional gamers. It is ona very large-scale. Chris is in China dealing with the outbreaks and Leon is doing whatever he is doing with the president and his new partner. The bottom line is Resident Evils tarted as a solitary gaming experience. Resident Evil 1 happened in the seclusion of the Spencer Estate and the Arklay Mountains. you were alone for the most part, fast forward to Resident Evil 2; you were alone as an outsider coming into town as either a rookie cop or college student. Resident Evil 3; not only was their a sense of seclusion but anxiety over being chased by the Nemesis.
    Switching gears to Revelations: Capcom needs to figure out one important thing for their storylines, how to separate characters without a rescue mission being part of the main plot: Claire looking for Chris, Chris looking for Claire, Leon looking for Ashley (and Ada), Chris looking for Jill, Jill looking for Chris. I am guessing the next game will have to do with Leon and/or Chris looking for the mystery cahracters that were revealeed in the latest trailer...

Resident Evil like any long going fictional canon storyline has a good amount of plot holes
    Such as?
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

I want nothing more than to have the old-school days abck but they are gone, gaming has evolved (or devolved to some). The fact is that if Capcom continued to use the same Re1-3 engines the series would die. That is a fact.

http://images.wikia.com/vgsales/images/c/ca/Resident_Evil_LTD_sales_figures.png

So RE5 is the best selling in the series. Combined sales from PS3 and 360. Not sure if Alternative/Gold Edition or DLC factored into that. But here's the sales for the other games in the series.

If we did combine sales for ports and re-releases the outlook would still be high, but on its own terms RE1-3 still did extremely well with that type of game play.

So needless to say I disagree. I think that if REmake was ported outside Nintendo to PS3 or 360 the response would be positive because (and even people at Capcom like Kawata acknowledge this) REmake was considered one of the best games in the series. It certainly competes as one of the scariest to date.

I honestly think the company has lost sight of why that game worked so well in the series, and why gamers (not just RE fans, but horror gamers in general) with the series to return back to its roots.

It goes beyond just adding in the zombies again. Operation: Raccoon City and Umbrella Chronicles have zombies. That doesn't make them survival horror games.

Now looking at the trailer I've concluded two things.

1. They didn't seem to reboot anything. The story continues and the game play still looks designed around RE4/RE5. Starring both characters from RE4 and RE5.
      2. Lack of reboot aside, no real attempts have been made to make that trailer look or feel scary. The game play is still used for over-the-top gun play and action.

Then I read crap like this followed by the comments you made in your topic and I realize that the general outlook is misguided. There is no fact that a traditional old-school RE game would fail if the time was taken to put actual effort into it instead of repackaging RE4 with tweaks in the game play. Until they try that speculating is just copping out from bringing the series back to what made it popular to begin with.

RE4 was inspiring in a lot of ways. I see more potential in action games to use that type of over-the-shoulder run and gun melee design. But RE sacrifices a lot to cater to action gamers. Sadly this series needs a complete reboot through and through. I don't have much excitement for RE6 at this time.

Comment

Yeah, you pretty much hit it on the money with why Capcom is not going the "survival horror" route anymore. Games like Call of Duty, Gears of War, and Halo dominate the gaming industry, and they have those action scenes, arsenal of weapons, explosions and online multiplayer. It's pretty much easy to sum up that a big percentage of the gaming audience enjoys games with a lot of action, explosions, and multiplayer. Capcom and many other publishers/developers see this, and are now trying to find ways to mimic if not topple the success that those big three gaming franchises have done. The result is moving away from survival horror and going into the action genre.

With Resident Evil 6 they are calling it "dramatic horror", so perhaps they will still incorporate some survival horror with the action to please both sides of fans. We only saw a 3 minute trailer, so lets give them the benefit of the doubt to bring us a end product that will be pleasing to both sides. In the end, I don't blame them, and honestly have accepted the fact that going forward this is what we are to expect. I rather have my Resident Evil fix than have no more Resident Evil at all because of low sales.

Comment

I've given them the benefit of the doubt for a long time. Even before they released their trailer.

Someone else put this another way. "Capcom Math: 4 + 5 = 6"

Comment

*Thinks that Wesker566 is secretly Paul W.S Anderson desperate for new material to rip of for future films, supporting RE6's more 'Gears of War' approach*

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
              *Thinks that Wesker566 is secretly Paul W.S Anderson desperate for new material to rip of for future films, supporting RE6's more 'Gears of War' approach*
              If only I had that much money and time on my hands! Not a fan of the movies but the cash would be nice!!!

I am not saying that I am happy with the direction nor am I saying that RE6 will be survival horror this is just a random thread on the series as a whole that I was pondering about during my night shift at work.

It is still possible to make survival horror games thats true, but we just aren't as scared anymore, we are older and de-sensitised(sp) now. I would not mind if they rebooted to the reBirth style of gaming but it's just not what the market is sadley, it could not contend with the action oriented games. I wish I had a RE-esque Hideo production with plot twists and some horror elements, I do not think that RE can be a survival horror anymore. It can still be a great game with zombies much akin to L4D.

I am satisfied with fun games thus why my hope is high for RE6, it looks cinematic and cannot be any worse than 5. Just like I am dully excited for ORC. It will be fun in a universe I have been a fan of. I do not expect anymore at this point.
              And RE5 was the first to use a Gears approach. Even the tank controls were modified to that as an option. "Gears" is just what over the shoulder shooters are now. I do not support it for RE but I can say it works for what it is.

And Newsbot: I am not getting into canon with you, you would win haha. Not as much plot holes as open ended storylines that have never been resolved or explained.
              Last edited by wesker566; 01-21-2012, 04:47 AM.

Comment

All I know is that this:

Doesn't belong in Resident Evil. This I'd expect from the movies, but not the main game series.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
                  All I know is that this:

Doesn't belong in Resident Evil. This I'd expect from the movies, but not the main game series.
                  Or from Wesker...haha (but then again part fo me thinks Wesker turned into what he was thanks to the movies)

Comment

For some reason that doesn't bother me not nearly as much as the knife twirling sillyness on the licker we saw in the recent OCR trailer.
                    http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                    http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                    Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

And Newsbot: I am not getting into canon with you, you would win haha. Not as much plot holes as open ended storylines that have never been resolved or explained.
                      The only ones that haven't been resolved or explained yet are those that are going to play the centerpiece of a new game. Ada and her organization appear to finally be taking the spotlight in RE6, same with Alex Wesker (assuming it is him). Aside from those two, there are no other unresolved plot threads.

Originally posted by wesker566 View Post
                      Or from Wesker...haha (but then again part fo me thinks Wesker turned into what he was thanks to the movies)
                      Actually, that gif is pretty much what Resident Evil 4 was going to be when Kamiya was directing. Superhumans caused by the Progenitor Virus were planned very early in the series, with Wesker, Spencer, Tony and Paul slated to be examples. Then RE4 was revised and only Wesker became an example.

Given that the guy in that gif is most likely Alex Wesker, his abilities are easily explained by the fact that he was injected with the same experimental Progenitor strain as Wesker. He also developed a new virus based on Progenitor on his own, able to grant immortality. That virus is probably why his blood is special, while he has to inject a serum like Wesker in order to control the experimental virus.
                      Last edited by News Bot; 01-21-2012, 08:48 AM.

Comment

So everyone is pretty much convinced that the bald guy is Alex Wesker, huh? I guess it does make sense, and he does look quite like Wesker, minus the hair and sunglasses.. Sigh.. Damn you RE5.. Damn you and your Wesker children bullshit..
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PracticalAl View Post
                          So everyone is pretty much convinced that the bald guy is Alex Wesker, huh? I guess it does make sense, and he does look quite like Wesker, minus the hair and sunglasses.. Sigh.. Damn you RE5.. Damn you and your Wesker children bullshit..
                          There is nothing wrong with the Wesker children story. I personally loved the Hitler undertones.

Comment

The story itself is fine; it was more the seeming 'we're gonna replace Albert with an even meaner Wesker who kills puppies' thing, trying to stretch out Wesker even after he's dead. If it is him, I'll have to admit I underestimated the writers at Capcom. This is not the direction I expected.

Comment

I don't think the new guy is Alex Wesker, but I can imagine him to be one of the Wesker children.

Comment

Working...
                              X