Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some theories I have regarding the Global Pharmaceutical Consortium.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some theories I have regarding the Global Pharmaceutical Consortium.

I was having a rather interesting discussion on Biohaze, figured I'd quote what I said on here. Provided below are some posts that I made regarding the relationship between the GPC and the BSAA, along with some zany theories about Raccoon City and Chris being nothing but a useful pawn. Plenty of spoilers here.

I've said this for a while now, the Global Pharmaceutical Consortium ARE the "organization" that Ada was working for. I was toying with the idea of this being the case since BH2. The GPC as a whole is used as a front by all these pharmaceutical companies to get away with the things that they do, and if any singular company makes a mistake (in the case of Umbrella), they can simply step in, disassociate themselves from that company and in turn, absolve themselves of any wrongdoing.

Besides, they essentially operate the BSAA. An interesting setup - any biohazards that occur as a result of their machinations, they can send in their own officially sanctioned clean-up team to bring everything under control and make themselves look like the good guys in the process. That's all the BSAA are, just pawns used by the GPC to clean up the mess that they make.

It's also a means for the corporations to shift power and authority away from the U.S. government, away from states and governments and more towards the private sector. Essentially, mass privatisation.

I mean, perhaps that was the intention of the GPC all along - to get rid of the FBC, who answered to the U.S. government and not themselves. Corporations seeking to remove authority from centralised governments and towards themselves. The BSAA are essentially a form of private military for these corporations. I mean, they answer to the GPC. So Jessica and Raymond were used by the GPC to orchestrate the downfall of the FBC, in turn using the BSAA to expose them.

Chris is fighting for the very same thing he seeks to destroy. He thinks he's doing the right thing, when all along he's actually helping to cover up and protect the GPC's secrets. Kind of ironic.
    Oh, so Tricell were responsible for that mess in Africa back in 2009? Well, first of all, the GPC could argue that Tricell were acting alone and Tricell in turn could point out that Excella Gionne was working alone under the influence of Albert Wesker. It's all about passing the buck, shifting blame and placing responsibility on someone else. Wesker and Excella will be the fall guys from BH5.

Think about it, could always blame it on Wesker, label him as just another 'bioterrorist'. Terrorism has become a great way to shift blame in the real world too. How many examples can you give where terrorism was used as a justification to be absolved of blame?

"It's not our fault, it was terrorists!"

Hell, Lansdale tried to pull that card in BHREV. Kind of.

Bioterrorism being the new threat to the world? No, more like it's become the perfect excuse. Or rather, the new excuse for corporations to get away with the things they do in this series.

And because the FBC were nicely taken out of the picture, the GPC can now move in. They needed to get rid of Lansdale, he would have been difficult to control. Chris, on the other hand? Tell him that bioterrorists are causing trouble and he'll battle his way to hell and back to (inadvertently) clean up the shit you caused.
    Though I had the initial idea of the U.S. government being the biggest bastards in the series, I suspect that changed after Raccoon City when Umbrella (a key figure of the GPC at that point, I might add) cleverly shifted blame. But here's another thought, what if Umbrella were "instructed" by the GPC to do this?

I mean, it's the ideal way to demonise the U.S. government, generate public disapproval and in turn shift the balance of power to the corporations. Afterall, the government answer to the people, but who does the GPC answer to? No-one. Spencer even makes a point about this in his notebook, about the U.S. government being forced into an uncomfortable position. It even brought the president down.

Going on from that, I think these anti-Umbrella initiatives (e.g. Anti-Umbrella Pursuit and Investigation Team) were an attempt by the U.S. government to try and regain support. Makes them appear good in front of the public by openly going after Umbrella.

Chris, Jill, Parker, Bruce, etc. All of them are nothing but pawns being moved around on a chessboard by masterminds, a power game between the U.S. government and the GPC. Then you have other governments wanting a chip in the game, e.g. China using Fong Ling, etc. Problem is, the BSAA is now an international group with branches around the world.

Leon is a strange case, since he seems to work directly for the President - who seems like a genuinely nice bloke. Which is a problem for many, actually. We can't have this Josiah Bartlett type going on a personal crusade to leak the truth! Hence why he had to become the victim of a bioterror attack. He needed removing from the picture. Anyone on either side has much to gain from his death, certain figures in the U.S. government or the GPC themselves.
    As for what happened with Raccoon City, if you look at Degeneration, the U.S. government's reputation was damaged by the incident, at least from their handling of the situation and their decision to use a nuclear warhead to destroy the city. Do you think that would look good for the U.S. government? Detonating a nuke on American soil and killing thousands of American civilians? That went in the favour of the GPC at least.

And here's another thing, Senator Ron Davis? This man had shares in WilPharma, AND was on the committee who approved the bombing on Raccoon City. Imagine if that asshole was working in the interests of the GPC, using his clout to force the U.S. government into making a decision that would have dire consequences for them?
    So, you've made it this far.

Thoughts?
    See you in hell.

Like I posted on PU - I absolutely loved reading this. Adding a depth to the series people perhaps don't give it credit for having. And further highlights how much I love all the powerplay.

But I always can't wait to see how the BSAA turn it against the powers that be.
    http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
    http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
    Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

I think you played to much of Deus Ex. But seriously now your theories are interesting, but little too much complicated.
      Spoiler:

Comment

I posted similar in less words elsewhere. The Organisation being the GPC or a circle within it fits pretty well.
        Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
          I posted similar in less words elsewhere. The Organisation being the GPC or a circle within it fits pretty well.
          You also could have posted something similar to that with less of a bitchy attitude.
          PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
            You also could have posted something similar to that with less of a bitchy attitude.
            You read my words in a bitch tone? Haha, classic.
            Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
              You read my words in a bitch tone? Haha, classic.
              Yeah, it was bitchy. Nothing new.
              PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

I've had a similar idea since RE5, I view the BSAA and the GPC as an international version of what happened with the STARS and Umbrella, a company running its own private armed force and using them as test subjects, which I don't doubt happens with the BSAA as well. I never went so far as proposing them to be Ada's organization, pretty good line of thought there.

I think Chris' line in the trailer regarding facing the truth could be somewhat related to that.

Comment

Working...
                X