Play ORC or watch the RE movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play ORC or watch the RE movies?

Nothing says I'm a sell out more than finding Operation: Raccoon City entertaining. I'm still weighing in on how it ranks with the other RE spin offs out there in this overblown franchise.

But with that said, I can thoroughly say there's reasons why I'd play ORC over the live action movies. Why compare the two? Well let's just say that I'm of the opinion that neither is really favored by RE purists because they represent everything the main series isn't and give the implication the Resident Evil is all about mindless action. With that said, let me continue.

1. Monsters and the threat they pose. I think ORC gives us a good range of favorites. The movies really like lickers and dogs, and in some cases they mashed things together like majini and zombies infected with the T-virus. But here we have the whole package. I love hunters and crimson heads. And it's good to fight a Nemesis and Tyrant without mental powers or super strength.

2. Returning cast. As a reference, Nicholai is a lovable back-stabbing bastard. What he is not is a goody two-shoes bent on being your friend and staying loyal to the end.

3. Action is balanced. Nothing I hate more than a mary sue. Especially one that has no opposition. Here, each good and bad character has some outlandish skill, but is balanced out with an opposing force to make you question the odds.

Those are more than enough to get me to enjoy a round of ORC rather than a night of RE movies. But I'm sure I'll get a different opinion so let me hear it.
    Last edited by Smiley; 03-22-2012, 11:55 PM.

Ok. lets compare some of the most craptacular spin-off RE games

Resident Evil: Gaiden - rating............................ 56.46% (gamerankings)
    Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City - rating.......51.53% (Xbox360), 48.50% (PS3)

Therefore, RE:Gaiden>ORC

That is all.

P.S. I've seen only the cgi RE flick and the first two live action ones. Got no opinion on them other than "meh!, they're ok"
    Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
    sigpic

Comment

I dunno, people are being too harsh with ORC. In the case of "reviewers", Capcom must have not paid them to say their game is good.

ORC sure has issues and lacks polish. But I found it AS A SPINOFF somewhat decent. The premise is not bad, the execution is. I actually liked the Wolfpack as RE characters and the game's plot.

In the case of the Live Action movies, those are terrible and get worse with each sequel, those stray way off the games. I'd take ORC any day over Anderson's RE movies.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

The movies, for sure. Even as a side game, a spinoff that holds no bearing on the canon of the game, ORC looks like S6 put absolutely no time or effort into playtesting. The gameplay itself doesn't look terrible, but the game is so riddled with bugs that I can't bring myself to play it right now.

The movies, they don't bother with the game canon in any capacity. I can enjoy them for being action flicks. Sure, they're basically using the RE name to help generate sales, but hey, ORC is basically doing the same thing. The movies are entertaining enough for me.

Who knows, maybe I'll play ORC down the line on the PC if I'm feeling bored.

Comment

Originally posted by Beanovsky Durst View Post
          In the case of "reviewers", Capcom must have not paid them to say their game is good.
          So the vast majority of the reviewers in the western world didn't get that check in the mail. And they took out their rage on poor old ORC.

Payola is it?
          Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
          sigpic

Comment

Id rather burn out my eyes and chop off my hands i think they are both garbage. Lol at Gaiden getting a better score than OCR says it all. Offically the worst RE game EVER!

Comment

Actually if you go by that site it says Survivor is the worst. Keep in mind the number of reviews each rank is accounting for.

Why just looking at ORC that PS3 dip could factor from having less reviews scored as opposed to the 360 version of ORC. And neither have enough reviews stacked like those of the games ranked high on the list. 15 reviews against 98 factored into a percentage?
              Last edited by Smiley; 03-23-2012, 05:00 AM.

Comment

I'd rather burn them both and watch Home Alone on loop.

Comment

Kinda like choosing between herpes and syphilis. Either way I'm getting open, weeping sores and a feeling of being horribly unclean.

Comment

Playing ORC for sure. The movies are an absolute travesty, a recent rewatch of Apocalypse suprised me in actually being worse than I remember it. They are awful.

Yet there are moments of silly, brief hope in ORC, it's still for the most part pretty awful most of the way through, but yeah.... It's kind of fun.
                    http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                    http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                    Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

Watching Shit and playing shit , Both are Shit

Well movies are ok ! Oh No they arent , oh yes maybe , Well they suck and soo does ORC
                      Darkness : Tactical reload wasn't even in deadly silence LMAO
                      ^ Lol ...

Comment

Originally posted by alinhoalisson View Post
                        I'd rather burn them both and watch Home Alone on loop.

Random but hilarious.

I'd have to pick ORC. While I think it's a weak and lazy game all around, it at least uses the characters from the games (with their same likeness) and tries to recreate events from the game series (but fails miserably). The movies are utter garbage; only the first one is mildly tolerable because it didn't really butcher anything from the games, and (if I recall) Alice wasn't a Mary-Sue at that point. But when Nemesis started having feelings and Jill played second fiddle to Alice, I was done.

However, I may be a bit biased because I generally prefer games to film.
                        Last edited by Det. Beauregard; 03-23-2012, 10:47 AM.
                        Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

I'd choose ORC.
                          See you in hell.

Comment

ORC kinda sorta relates to events that actually happen in the games, so I think I'd have to choose ORC by default. I'd choose it anyway, though, because the movies have zero entertainment value to me and ORC is at least actually fun to play sometimes.

Comment

I'd play ORC, at least it seems to have some entertainment value in multiplayer mode.

Comment

Working...
                              X