Out of place B.O.W's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of place B.O.W's.

So I was watching Resident Evil Code V on youtube earlier and was reminded how much I hated the Albinoid B.O.W.

Not because it was hard or a huge pain in the ass, but because...its stupid. Its a fish out of water design wise in the series. Hunters, Lickers, Tyrants, and Ganado's all had something to add to the series and made a good impression..but the Albinoid?

Its kind of a pink...wormy..fish..torso thing that shocks you...and..yeah. Design wise and enemy wise ti felt really out of place to me and I was curious what other BOW's in the series felt out of place to other members.

But Albinoids have been my number one choice for this, what designs you guys feel didn't work? On the mian series, not the gun Survivor, Operation raccoon city, or Gaiden spin offs.

Only out of the main series? There's a few for me actually. I'll list em.

First off, the U-8.

I think out of all the creatures in the series, I have the biggest problem with this guy. He doesn't look like he belongs in RE at ALL. Sure it'd fit perfectly in something like Gears of War, but RE, no. Its just a ridiculously giant looking crab that doesn't even remotely compare to the U-3 from RE4. At least that fit more than this thing. Also, just looking at the way it's legs are positioned, how the hell is it supposed to move when it's not hanging in a shaft? That also leads me to another question: what was it doing in that elevator shaft in RE5 to begin with? Are you gonna tell me it was just chilling there at the bottom of a lab with a bunch of test subjects in test tubes?

El Gigante / Ndesu

OK, well this should be pretty self explanatory. Just look at the fucking picture and try to tell me that this thing is not out of place. Since when did cave trolls start becoming the new "tyrant" of RE? Ridiculous! Every time one of these has shown up in a game, I can't take it seriously.

Salazar

Oh, good. Now we got mutated napoleon midgets in our RE. Need I say more?

Final one for now, but I'm sure I'll think of more sooner or later. But anyway, last one would have to be the Blob from LiN.

What the hell is this? It's carrying a freaking ANCHOR around for Christs sake! In my opinion, terrible design. It's head is just a maw with a hood. Not to mention it's name is fucking BLOB. It just looks so out of place in my opinion.

I guess you can probably see that most of my problems with creatures in the series mostly stem from RE4 and RE5, but mostly the later. Hopefully RE6 will make up for that and offer some awesome new enemy designs.

Comment

I thought that El Gigante worked pretty well, not 100% but well enough. Ndesu was just copy and paste and didnt fit in RE5's hentai factory.

Comment

I've really never liked the giant bat and giant scorpion in RE0. I also didn't really like the aesthetic of the Queen leech, or James Marcus in general.
        sigpic

Comment

RE0 itself wasn't a good game, nothing really felt like it came together...cept the retcon.

Comment

The PopoKarimu was always a bit random to me. I mean, what the hell is it? obviously a bat mixed with.....what exactly? just never thought a bat type enemy really fit with the setting of RE5.

Comment

Ignoring the leech thing I liked the story in Zero, I just wished Billy's background got fleshed out further as something slightly more important, especially in the end when they did set RE5 in Africa. I'll probably have News Bot or someone in here soon telling me they actually did tie those together somewhere and I missed it.

I was going to say the same things Gene said though, really didn't like the oversized Scorpion and a Bat in Zero... that just seemed like lazy design choices ("we've had a shark, spider, giant plant in the original... giant gator in the second... lets just keep that oversized theme going..."). Both the giant worms in RE3 and CV are kinda there too although I'm not as bothered by them for some reason.

I liked the Albonoid when it was small and just electrically shocks you as it made getting out of the lab room a slight challenged, but I agree the oversized one was a pointless enemy.

Comment

RE 0 ? I heard its better than 5 , anything is ....
                5 Whole Majini and plaga stuff sucks more than 4s ....

That Nasty big bug , what is it called ? PopoKarimu ? Lol silly name , anyway it was totally out of place !

Excella herself was out of place lol !

RE-Played or played CV on PS3 Not long ago , oversized Albonoid wasn't that bad , it actually frustrated me , i didnt really know how to kill it Lol ! Yes the boss fight would have been more epic if it got to jump out of water and suck of chris's head xD
                Darkness : Tactical reload wasn't even in deadly silence LMAO
                ^ Lol ...

Comment

Anything bigger than a Tyrant, at some point RE just decided bigger was better, it isn't. Especially hen bigger ends up a mess of tentacles or various designs of blobs.

I suppose Birkin and Nemesis were ok hen they did it, they were both damaged heavily and had random mutations, later games though were massive by design.
                  Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
                    Anything bigger than a Tyrant, at some point RE just decided bigger was better, it isn't. Especially hen bigger ends up a mess of tentacles or various designs of blobs.
                    I generally agree with this, particularly in the later games (RE4, RE5, Revelations). I realize that the scope of those games was much larger than the classic series, but I think they just didn't realize when enough was enough. With RE4, if the whale-sized salamander wasn't enough, they then introduce us to a cave troll straight out of a dorky medieval game. I think that El Gigante may have been the most out-of-place enemy in the series; it felt nothing like RE at all.

Best enemy in RE4? Verdugo. Why? It was the size of a Tyrant and was more difficult to kill (without LN2) than anything else in the game. And it looked terrifying, unlike the laughable cave trolls. But to be fair, RE4 also had Regenerators and Novistadors, which I thought were interesting. The Iron Maiden variant of the former, however, I thought was ridiculous. I guess I tend to prefer things with at least some semblance of realism.

RE5 introduced a new brand of unimaginative enemies to the series with its Uroboros-tentacle theme, with bosses that were simply massive in scope. The only enemies I thought were interesting in RE5 were the Popokarimus and the Reapers. Everything else was just too absurd. And then along comes Revelations with that giant whale-parasite thing (Malacoda?) swimming around unnoticed in the Mediterranean, just so Capcom could work in boring out-of-place rail shooter segments (as if anyone actually liked the savannah section in RE5).

But it's not like the older games were immune to terrible enemy design, either. RE0 in particular seemed to have been bit by the "take scary-looking things that are the size of a quarter and blow them up to massive proportions" bug. Any insect-based BOWs in the series are ridiculous in the first place, since you can't just "make them bigger" and expect all to go well - they'd collapse under their own weight. Curious as to why? Read this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../SquareCubeLaw

The other early games had out-of-place enemies, too. Steve's mutated form looked like the Incredible Hulk, which was absurd (although he looked much better in DC). Wrathborne mentioned the Albionoids, which while I don't feel they ruined the game or anything, they did feel a bit strange. It would have been cool to see what they would have done with them had they been in DC (the Bandersnatches, for example, looked like a joke in CV but were creepy in DC). Graphics can mean a lot.

But what do I think is the most out-of-place BOW in the early games? It's a toss up, really - the Neptunes from Remake/Outbreak and the giant alligator from RE2. With the former, the scientists literally had a giant underground tank in the middle of the forest to research shark BOWs. How would they get them out of there? What practical fucking purpose could a shark serve to sell on the growing BOW market? How did they even survive in the river, considering Great Whites (which Neptunes were obviously based on) are saltwater fish? The developers didn't think when they created these enemies; they just thought "What's a scary animal that people have phobias of?" Hence all the spiders, snakes, sharks, etc. It also explains the giant alligator, which was so out-of-place it wasn't even funny.
                    Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

I always thought that Sergei's personal Tyrants from Umbrella Chronicles seemed out of place. Their design looks too "futuristic" for the series. Cool design, though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1930220_f260.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	400953
                      Last edited by Kaine; 03-26-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Yeah..we don't talk about Umbrella Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
                        X