Resident Evil levels of gore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil levels of gore

While this topic wont interest most people I thought I'd ask regardless.

Since the first game Resident Evil has always had a fair amount of gore in it and on and off since 2000 the series has been censoring itself.

For me I want things to be as they were, I like my RE games gorey, as that's how they've always been.

But for the past 2 entries in the main series, RE5, and RE:R things have been getting toned down towards the gore level of Code V(Which was self censored, possibly due to the columbine incident earlier that year.)

I'm not saying that we need to have the games as overly gorey as Dead Alive, or Evil Dead 2.

But it feels like ordering a chocolate cake, and then where you pick it up they only put on half the frosting.

But I want things to stay put. Exploding heads, exploding zombies, on Screen hunter finishing movies, Everything.

Was curious how many folks felt the same way or were indifferent to it.

Play ORC, most gory RE game yet.
    Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

I want beheading hunters again!
      They were gone ever since Survivor.

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
        Click image for larger version

Name:	P9230257.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	400998

That takes care of Dracarys, anyone else feeling cheeky?

Comment

To some extend I want to disagree that since 2000 RE games were less gory.

RE4 had multiple death animations (decapitations or face melted off by acid) and RE5 was definitely a step up in that direction.

Dead Space 1&2 are a benchmark for the most detailed, violent and gruesome death sequences in horror games, but I don't think RE should get to get level of "nasty", it would feel quite right.

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
            The gore in ORC is overdone.

The games were never really about gore and I don't miss it. Though it would be nice if they toned it up a bit.
            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

RE4 was the goriest game i think
              PSN Gamercards

Comment

Resident Evil 4 was gory in the very cheesy ott way. I think the headless bodies in ORC was a bit over the top in the realistic way but only made worse by the overuse of it.

I think the REmake was the best overall. Realistic when needed but not to an extreme level.

Comment

Remake didn't have exploding zombies which frankly...its odd to shoot a zombie with a rocket launcher and have it drop over dead in one peice, with an undead 'Deeeerp'.

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot
                    The gore in ORC is overdone.
                    Ok, we got it. ORC is a bad game in your opinion. But seriously how the gore in ORC is overdone? It's not because it's ORC that everything in it is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Grem View Post
                      Ok, we got it. ORC is a bad game in your opinion. But seriously how the gore in ORC is overdone? It's not because it's ORC that everything in it is bad.
                      Probably the fact that Zombies appear to just fall apart at the slightest hint of damage. It's overdone because they tried too hard for the gore aspect. It was already clear from the "violence" trailer that had some shitty heavy metal guitar track playing that they were simply going to crank the violence and gore up to 11. It's not like it's an awful aspect which breaks the game, it's just pointless and appeals to nobody except people who get off on arms flying off with no real impetus. However, it works for ORC since the game is just an action-fest of bullets. However, the game just treats Zombies like disposable sacks of flesh literally ready to fall apart with the slightest contact. The other games were smart with their choice of gore and Zombies felt more threatening because they weren't going to fall apart unless you broke out a shotgun. In this, handguns are enough to mutilate a Zombie like it's a pillow filled with red shit.

Of course the gore could be to make up for the lack of any horror aspect in the game, because gore = scary shit. Saw mentality.
                      Last edited by News Bot; 04-07-2012, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Perhaps, but it's still far better than the censored RECV and RE5 anyway.
                        Last edited by Grem; 04-07-2012, 05:32 AM.

Comment

To be honest, I was kinda happy to see zombie limbs flying in Operation Raccoon City.

What annoys me is how that only applies to the zombies (and how humans are friggin bullet sponges).

As for the censorship in various versions of games; some of it comes from the "one size fits all" treatment of SKUs these days, making it more necessary than ever to make sure you "offend no one." Since you'll be shipping the same version to all regions.

Another thing is of course how you can see that the average userbase these is split between old fans and those aren't even old enough to technically be allowed to purchase the older games in the series in most stores ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Grem View Post
                            Perhaps, but it's still far better than the censored RECV and RE5 anyway.
                            I suppose, I'm just not a fan of gratuitous gore. It bores me and just seems incredibly lazy. More isn't always better.

CV was unfortunate timing (Survivor had GunCon use removed at the same time), BH5 is an issue because this generation virtually eliminated regional differences. Games have to appeal to every region now, rather than just censoring the Japanese region and such. The only thing that really suffered in BH5 was the death scenes though, so it doesn't matter much to me personally. The rest of the game is on-par with BH4 in terms of violence, minus tit jiggles.
                            Last edited by News Bot; 04-07-2012, 06:03 AM.

Comment

I actually prefer the violence of Resident Evil 5, which focussed more on the unseen, imagination is always more powerful than being shown everything and seeing something in a sack being viciously beaten is better than just blood flying everywhere.
                              http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                              http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                              Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X