X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was the Plot RE5 a Rehash of History?

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

~ George Santayana
    A few nights ago, as I was watching the History Channel (actually, it could have very well been the Military Channel, now that I think of it), I saw a special report on a Nazi Project called the "Amerika Bomber". The Amerika-Bomber project was an initiative of the German Reichsluftfahrtministerium (Ministry of Aviation), to obtain a long-range strategic bomber for the Luftwaffe (aerial warfare branch of the German Armed Forces) that would be capable of striking the continental United States from Germany, a range of about 3,600 miles (5,800 km). Though the concept was raised in the late 1930's, however plans were not submitted to Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring (the commander-in-chief of the Luftwaffe) until 1942.

German aircraft manufacturers submitting their designs included Messerschmitt, Junkers, Heinkel, Focke-Wulf and the Horten Brothers. The most interesting design is that of the Horten Brothers: It was a large flying wing.

The ultimate design the Nazi's were striving for was a vehicle that would launch with rockets to the very edge of space and then would skip along between space and stratosphere, where they could then drop dirty bombs made of radioactive sand which would explode in the atmosphere above a populated city and create a giant radioactive cloud. As crude as would have been, it would have killed thousands and made even thousands more sick... There plan was to make America move their anti-air defenses off of Britain and back to America, which would have made England easier to invade... Luckily, Germany surrendered before any of these projects got fully off the ground...

Now, fast forward to the Resident Evil universe, and we seemingly have history repeating...

Wesker's Uroboros project had the same goal and delivery method. A giant wing with missiles with a viral payload that would be released over various points along the troposphere's trade winds. The resulting viral cloud that would fall and spread on anything in it's path infecting everything that either breathed it in or let the cloud touch them. Any infected that wasn't compatible with Uroboros would become a "black worm monster" and would then exist only to locate and infected anyone that wasn't already infected...

Just something I wanted to share that I found to be interesting.

Explore National Geographic. A world leader in geography, cartography and exploration.

Spencer himself was compared to the Nazis, and his Wesker children are essentially the same principle as the Hitler Youth. Models for a new "race". There's no doubt that the series writers did at least basic research on the Nazis and biological weapons.

Ironically Hitler did not allow for the development or use of bio-weapons.
    Last edited by News Bot; 06-01-2012, 11:35 AM.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
      Spencer himself was compared to the Nazis, and his Wesker children are essentially the same principle as the Hitler Youth. Models for a new "race". There's no doubt that the series writers did at least basic research on the Nazis and biological weapons.

Seriously? So the sick bastard did have a limit. Fascinating.

Comment

I've long believed that Raccoon City's destruction was modeled on Hiroshima and Nagasaki (so many things in Japanese media are), so yeah sure, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post

I've had a sneaking suspicion that "Sheena Island" may have actually been one of the islands in the Azores archipelago or at the very least, constructed to be a part of that territory. (If not there, then north of the the Sea of Crete, perhaps even north of the Aegean Sea off the coast of Greece).

It's just far enough away from anything that not too many people would stumble there by happenstance by either boat or plane unless that was their intended destination.

The Azores is located above an active triple junction between three of the world's large tectonic plates, a condition that means that the region lies on many faults and fractures thus resulting in a region that is seismically active and susceptible to volcanism. A perfect method to hide the island's self-destruction mechanism--As a volcanic eruption. It would explain the plume of smoke rising ino the air and explain the any seismic anomolies that are detected on any near by islands...

Tying back into RE5, given that this area is prone to volcanic activity, this may have been the possible location of the the crash site where Chris/Sheva had their "final" battle with Wesker...

Unless this was confirmed to be still in one Africa's active volcanoes...

Edit- I got on the topic of the Azores because the Amerika Bomber plan was to utilize the Azores as a jumping station from Germany to America... Allied forces did in fact occupy the Azores (and Iceland) to prevent something like that from happening... Whether it was intentional or not.
          Last edited by Project Omega; 06-01-2012, 07:59 PM. Reason: Herp Derp, forgot to include some stuff about the Azores and WW2.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonElder View Post
            Seriously? So the sick bastard did have a limit. Fascinating.
            Only because in WW1 he was exposed to mustard gas and knew how horrible it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
              Only because in WW1 he was exposed to mustard gas and knew how horrible it was.
              Im sorry Mustard gas? :-/ Oh I can imagine that being terrible Mustard is disgusting.

Comment

Im sorry Mustard gas? :-/ Oh I can imagine that being terrible Mustard is disgusting.
                It may seem like a humorous name, but it was not a humorous product. Caused vomiting, temporary blindness (sometimes leading to permanent blindness), extreme nasal burning leading to permanent damage and severe lung damage. That was just for the people who survived it, most just died if they didn't get their mask on in time.
                Last edited by AsteroidBlues; 06-02-2012, 10:54 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

WWI has been thoroughly romanticized, but it was horrific - even worse than WWII in some ways because it was a clash of traditional and modern warfare. Like Ewoks trying to take down AT-ST's with slingshots.

Comment

Oh yes. There are many tales of people with injuries being dumped somewhere and then eaten alive by rats and such. World War 1 was horrendous. Hence why so many people in it swore never to go to war again.

It should be noted that the Nazis did use gas and such - especially in concentration camps and the like. They did employ it in warfare a few times, too. There is a reason that during the Blitz everyone had to carry a gas mask around.

Comment

Working...
                    X