Interesting "Unused" Backdrop in REmake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting "Unused" Backdrop in REmake

Wasn't sure of the best Resident Evil site to post this, but since a lot of interesting things come out of this community, I thought someone here might appreciate it. If all of the backdrops have been extracted from Resident Evil on Gamecube already, then this likely isn't news to anyone, but I can't seem to find an archive anywhere... or at least, one that's still available.

So, anyway... through a series of events I won't delve into, I came across this backdrop while playing (please forgive the low quality):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rebirth_Unused.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	406094
    "未使用"

Like I say, this might not be news to anyone, I don't know for sure. My good friend Google Translate claims that the kanji characters read, "UNUSED." This file loads with the rest of the dining room renders, evidently. My best guess is that it's an older render of the backdrop for the clock puzzle. The composition is actually very similar to a shot in the original Resident Evil, except it was on the opposite side of the table. Clearly, this is not the window wall, as the flash of lighting is coming from the wall opposite of it.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by TreblaYevrah; 06-13-2012, 05:22 PM.

Well it might be a render before the clock was put there, not sure. But interesting find nonetheless
    PSN Gamercards

Comment

It certainly looks interesting... I'd love to see a higher quality picture though. We'll also need to get Love Bot or Enetirnel in here to do a proper translation on that.
      sigpic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AsteroidBlues View Post
          It certainly looks interesting... I'd love to see a higher quality picture though. We'll also need to get Love Bot or Enetirnel in here to do a proper translation on that.
          The person that started the topic is correct about it saying unused. There's actually a decent amount of backgrounds with crosses over them or marks to say not use them or things to be changed in the files for the game.

I'm pretty sure I have all of the background renders on my external harddrive off the top of my head, just I had thought that The Mortician had reuploaded them onto his site/resource site.
          sigpic
          Non-blurry Signature Version
          Youtube | Steam | Website (Under Construction)

Comment

Originally posted by DXP View Post
            Hahaha, well there ya go. I figured somebody probably already had this. I was never sure about the tools people used to extract the backdrops from REmake, so I couldn't do it myself. Having said that, I'd be interested to see the rest of the unused backdrops.

I was porting a European room modifier code for the NTSC version, and while I was messing with that, I accidentally came across this backdrop during gameplay. It seems odd that Capcom would have bothered to leave something like that in the game files... wouldn't it be more efficient to delete it altogether than to put place text over it telling people not to use it?

Comment

Originally posted by DXP View Post
              Originally posted by Enetirnel View Post
              The person that started the topic is correct about it saying unused. There's actually a decent amount of backgrounds with crosses over them or marks to say not use them or things to be changed in the files for the game.

I'm pretty sure I have all of the background renders on my external harddrive off the top of my head, just I had thought that The Mortician had reuploaded them onto his site/resource site.
              Thanks for the High res, DXP! Looks like we solved another mystery, gang. Let's all hop in the Mystery Machine and find us another caper to solve!

Originally posted by TreblaYevrah View Post
              Hahaha, well there ya go. I figured somebody probably already had this. I was never sure about the tools people used to extract the backdrops from REmake, so I couldn't do it myself. Having said that, I'd be interested to see the rest of the unused backdrops.

I was porting a European room modifier code for the NTSC version, and while I was messing with that, I accidentally came across this backdrop during gameplay. It seems odd that Capcom would have bothered to leave something like that in the game files... wouldn't it be more efficient to delete it altogether than to put place text over it telling people not to use it?
              Yes. It probably would... but then you wouldn't of been fascinated by the material you found while digging around in the game. XD
              sigpic

Comment

It was probably left in as a reference shot or something. But most developers don't clear away the beta stuff on a game before sending it out. It's cheaper to leave it be and sometimes, if you mess with apparently unrelated files, the game implodes. No point in clearing it all off.

Comment

Yeah, it's certainly entertaining to find traces of what developers left behind. There's also a render of an opened drawer in the residence that I came across, which I'm sure could also be provided by someone on this site. It's of the drawer directly under the Plant 42 file before heading down to the aqua ring. I believe there were shotgun shells or something there in the original game. I'm almost certain that there's no way to open it in the REmake, though... but the render does exist.

Were backdrops of entirely unused rooms ever discovered in the REmake? The only unused room IDs in the memory that don't load areas used in the game are ones that cause it to freeze, but their places in the memory seem to indicate that something was once there. For example:

00 - Mans. Elevator
                  01 - *FREEZE
                  02 - Mans. 2F Dining Room Balcony

I suppose it would be ideal for me to just download the extracted backgrounds myself, if they're available... but I'd like to know what other people have to say about all of this.
                  Last edited by TreblaYevrah; 06-14-2012, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TreblaYevrah View Post
                    Yeah, it's certainly entertaining to find traces of what developers left behind. There's also a render of an opened drawer in the residence that I came across, which I'm sure could also be provided by someone on this site. It's of the drawer directly under the Plant 42 file before heading down to the aqua ring. I believe there were shotgun shells or something there in the original game. I'm almost certain that there's no way to open it in the REmake, though... but the render does exist.

Were backdrops of entirely unused rooms ever discovered in the REmake? The only unused room IDs in the memory that don't load areas used in the game are ones that cause it to freeze, but their places in the memory seem to indicate that something was once there. For example:

00 - Mans. Elevator
                    01 - *FREEZE
                    02 - Mans. 2F Dining Room Balcony

I suppose it would be ideal for me to just download the extracted backgrounds myself, if they're available... but I'd like to know what other people have to say about all of this.
                    Afaik there really isn't that many angles within REmake apart from ones with symbols on and the code box on the west wing 2nd floor door has a few renders with big crosses in them and as for the drawer you mean this one?

If you want to see entire content that didn't make it into the game I would suggest hunting down the Bio zero trial backgrounds there is an abundance of unused/still in development renders to see here's a few for example(click for full size images):

This is the original version of the basement level of the management training facility aka the place with the puzzle involving the animals yet...its completely different I'll be more than happy to upload these bare in mind its over 500+mbs worth of images and uploading will take a while(and i'm now going to get some sleep since I haven't had much these past couple of days) so hopefully someone has these already, the other thing i'm after is the final version of zero's final backgrounds so I can do my own comparisons since i'm wanting to do some sort of write up eventually...
                    Last edited by DXP; 06-14-2012, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Yeah, that's the drawer all right!

As for BH0 Trial Edition, that is actually one of the most interesting pieces of Resident Evil history to me (that's available to the public, at least). I've seen pretty much all of the backdrops extracted from it over at resident-evil-beta.de. There is definitely a lot of interesting stuff.

I made a few action replay codes for that game myself, and while I'm not sure, I haven't seen any sites that show any of the actual 3D models of the items present on the disc. For example:

^That one just cracks me up.

^Old version of the clock hand... Pretty significant change.

^This is also interesting. Most of the weapons will crash the game when you try to equip them in the trial edition, but the shotgun is at least somewhat functional. It can be equipped to both characters, but has no textures, and can't be fired.

Comment

Some nice info in this thread! I've got the REmake backgrounds saved on a harddrive but I can't upload them because I don't have a computer. I have to say though I have a sudden earge to play RE0, it's one of the few RE games I've never fully played, it's always interesting to compare trials to the retail builds I never even knew a trial of RE0 existed.

Comment

Working...
                        X