Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some cool 1.5 exclusive screenshots (**As seen on TV!**)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See, I don't mind romance as part of a story even in something like Resident Evil - looking for a missing lover is as good a motivation as searching for a sibling or child. The desire to bring a dead lover back from the dead, while cliche, is still a solid motivation for a villain. It's the shitty Leon x Ada and Claire x Steve ones, where they've spent twenty minutes together during a single night before declaring there undying love that piss me off. A well built and told romance can be a great plot point, and really give a character the motivation to keep going in the face of stupid odds. A poor one destroys a story.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
      See, I don't mind romance as part of a story even in something like Resident Evil - looking for a missing lover is as good a motivation as searching for a sibling or child. The desire to bring a dead lover back from the dead, while cliche, is still a solid motivation for a villain.
      This is RE7- Chris turns villain and seeks a way to resurrect Wesker from the Volcano. I can totally envision the first words coming out of Chris' mouth in the prolog being "The only thing hotter than the volcano Wesker died in... was the passion I held for him in my heart. A passion that took me to the edge of reason, and beyond."

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
      It's the shitty Leon x Ada and Claire x Steve ones, where they've spent twenty minutes together during a single night before declaring there undying love that piss me off. A well built and told romance can be a great plot point, and really give a character the motivation to keep going in the face of stupid odds. A poor one destroys a story.
      Regarding Claire and Steve, I agree with an earlier opinion stating that the dynamic between them was less romance and more confusion. Then again, I'm probably biased because Steve both confused and infuriated me.

As for Ada and Leon, you kinda have to give it to them. I mean, they were going through a high stress situation, Ada was a hot Asian spy and Leon's hair was immaculate. xD For all they knew, they would die any minute. It was an irrational response to an unimaginable situation. And really, that's been the model of their relationship in every ensuing meeting throughout the series.
      Last edited by AsteroidBlues; 04-18-2013, 09:21 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

• I don't think there's anything that says romance shouldn't be a part of the series, especially Capcom's inability to include a good romance in previous titles (if anything that's just an example of bad writing). You can ask your self, in a zombie outbreak what exactly should be people's motivations? Is survival and revenge the only themes that should be a construct of a Resident Evil title?

In real life most humans have friends, families and loved ones who they hold dearest to their hearts and long to protect, in dangerous situations like a zombie outbreak most people would go to any length to find, help and protect the people they love. Should RE really be about self centred individuals who have nothing on their minds besides escaping danger and saving the world? It's almost as if at the end of the day the protagonists go home to their wife and kids and have a lovely meal in front of the TV, that's how little insight you get into their love life and how unrealistic their motivations are.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2013, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by geluda View Post
          I don't think there's anything that says romance shouldn't be a part of the series, especially Capcom's inability to include a good romance in previous titles (if anything that's just an example of bad writing). You can ask your self, in a zombie outbreak what exactly should be people's motivations? Is survival and revenge the only themes that should be a construct of a Resident Evil title?

In real life most humans have friends, families and loved ones who they hold dearest to their hearts and long to protect, in dangerous situations like a zombie outbreak most people would go to any length to find, help and protect the people they love. Should RE really be about self centred individuals who have nothing on their minds besides escaping danger and saving the world? It's almost as if at the end of the day the protagonists go home to their wife and kids and have a lovely meal in front of the TV, that's how little insight you get into their love life and how unrealistic their motivations are.
          Self centered people who only think of survival and saving the world. Oxymoron-ish, but I see where you're coming from. One thing you have to realize is that most of the main protagonists in the RE universe DON'T have anyone to go home to/care for due to the sacrifices they have made to fight Bioterrorism.
          sigpic

Comment

I don't think there's anything that says romance shouldn't be a part of the series, especially Capcom's inability to include a good romance in previous titles (if anything that's just an example of bad writing). You can ask your self, in a zombie outbreak what exactly should be people's motivations? Is survival and revenge the only themes that should be a construct of a Resident Evil title?

In real life most humans have friends, families and loved ones who they hold dearest to their hearts and long to protect, in dangerous situations like a zombie outbreak most people would go to any length to find, help and protect the people they love. Should RE really be about self centred individuals who have nothing on their minds besides escaping danger and saving the world? It's almost as if at the end of the day the protagonists go home to their wife and kids and have a lovely meal in front of the TV, that's how little insight you get into their love life.
            And all of that matters naught in the series. The romance aspects that are there happen to be the absolute worst parts of each story and detract from the rest of it. Not even because of bad writing, but because they literally don't fit in the game. Leon and Ada's relationship is rushed because the game's length isn't that long and game's have deadlines to meet that prevented them from stretching it out. Steve is alright (he's 17 and stupidly hormonal and has just found the hottest ass he's probably seen in months) apart from Japanese people making yet another terrible actor choice but yet again, his interactions with Claire are brief and unnatural because it's a horror game and not a romance yet it's trying to pander to the latter.

Yes, the series should be about individuals escaping danger. That is the very foundation of it - Survival Horror. I want to be trapped in an imposing atmosphere with threats all around. I do not want Jill asking me what day tomorrow is while a Hunter is trying to rip me a new asshole and I'm busy trying to bring down an international corporation trying to rule the world. While it's not impossible to include romance in something, it simply doesn't work in this particular series unless they made another Outbreak where the story has a lot more leeway and doesn't have a primary focus (Umbrella, Wesker, etc).
            Last edited by News Bot; 04-18-2013, 09:57 AM.
            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Originally posted by Italoxorn View Post
              I too prefer this uniform, it looks more real.

Indeed, its the same clothes that Leon use on the first demo game play of Resident Evil 6 on E3 in the XBOX console.
              I mean the gameplay that ends witth the crash of helicopter in a big teather of a lof of zombies.

EDIT: When I mean the same I want to mean that mayeb Capcom used this new similar uniform with base of this 1.5 uniform.

Last edited by PROTOBOY; 04-18-2013, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Romance or gay romance lol? Nothing wrong with a bit of romance, it's a great motivational drive for a character. Romance > your typical motivations like saving the world from a tyrannical bio terrorist.
                I agree, it's quite natural for emotions to be high in these sorts of situations....you know with it possibly being the beggining of the end of human life as we know it. Of course people are going to fall in love easier especially when the characters save their life. To say it has NO place in the game is abit overboard

aslong as it isnt based on romance and romance alone i dont see the problem lol
                Last edited by Don Piano; 04-18-2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AsteroidBlues View Post
                  Self centered people who only think of survival and saving the world. Oxymoron-ish, but I see where you're coming from. One thing you have to realize is that most of the main protagonists in the RE universe DON'T have anyone to go home to/care for due to the sacrifices they have made to fight Bioterrorism.
                  Indeed that is a bit of a contradiction. What I mean is that, for example, their focus is mainly on their occupational objective (i.e working for the B.S.A.A) and getting the job done, as opposed to thinking about loved ones and doing it for personal and emotional reasons.

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                  And all of that matters naught in the series. The romance aspects that are there happen to be the absolute worst parts of each story and detract from the rest of it. Not even because of bad writing, but because they literally don't fit in the game. Leon and Ada's relationship is rushed because the game's length isn't that long and game's have deadlines to meet that prevented them from stretching it out. Steve is alright (he's 17 and stupidly hormonal and has just found the hottest ass he's probably seen in months) apart from Japanese people making yet another terrible actor choice but yet again, his interactions with Claire are brief and unnatural because it's a horror game and not a romance yet it's trying to pander to the latter.

Yes, the series should be about individuals escaping danger. That is the very foundation of it - Survival Horror. I want to be trapped in an imposing atmosphere with threats all around. I do not want Jill asking me what day tomorrow is while a Hunter is trying to rip me a new asshole and I'm busy trying to bring down an international corporation trying to rule the world. While it's not impossible to include romance in something, it simply doesn't work in this particular series unless they made another Outbreak where the story has a lot more leeway and doesn't have a primary focus (Umbrella, Wesker, etc).
                  In 1996 those could be perfectly good reasons for excluding these sorts of themes from a video game title, but in this day and age it's no excuse (unless of course they simply don't want them there in the first place, which I guess your argument caters to). Movies are usually between 90mins and 120mins long and have no problems conveying legitimate messages of love and romance during what might be an action movie. Video games in this day and age often have 90mins worth of cutscene footage let along gameplay time, so conveying romance in an action title should be no issues to a competent writer.

A character doesn't have to be crying or reading poetry every step of the way just to be in love with someone and motivated to survive for someone else's safety. The romance could easilly be a side story of what turns out to be a much larger picture of bioterrorism. It's not something that would destroy the series unless it's poorly written, it's something that could very well be a part of the series and give it a much more human and personal tone.

I think a lot of RE fans (not talking specifically about you here, just many people in general) are too set in their ways and afraid to go new directions. For me RE isn't just about bioterrorism, it's about zombie outbreaks and absolutely anyone could be trapped in that situation, even me or you. Capcom could create a new entry in the main series with completely new characters and completely new themes while still staying true to their formula, that's how broad the consequences are and how much of an impact a zombie outbreak would have on human civilisation. RE shouldn't only be about the heroes, it should be about the ordinary people who become extraordinary as well, something the series once used to be about.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2013, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• You just played into what Carn said earlier.

Fact is, if they can't do it well, there's no point in doing it at all. They've given us plenty of examples to judge, and none are good. And yet again, if it's completely unnecessary in any given story, it should be left out. Tacking things on is an easy way to build a bad story.
                    Also, don't misunderstand, I'm not against romance altogether. It just won't fit into the series as it presently stands unless they move away from the main plot/characters and create something more subdued.

The romance could easilly be a side story of what turns out to be a much larger picture of bioterrorism.
                    Oh, so BH6.

RE shouldn't only be about the heroes, it should be about the ordinary people who become extraordinary as well.
                    Oh, so Outbreak then. The example I gave earlier.
                    Last edited by News Bot; 04-18-2013, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• We don't need the Outbreak series just to have an ordinary guy as a protagonist, Leon once was an ordinary guy, a rookie, and that is absolutely part of the main series. To say that you can't explore old ideas is like I say, being too set in your ways.

Comment

• You missed my point entirely.

The series presently isn't about "ordinary guys." They could make the next installment about an ordinary guy, but that would require taking the focus off of whatever they're going with now (The Family).

Comment

• Dead Rising has its share of ordinary guys, with fantastic ego centric "non-world saving" motives (and also plenty of tits -- without anyone feeling any need to get down on their knees to offer anyone any rings to poke their fingers through). Why can't people just act normal in games? Why does everything have to be something that happens in the course of one game? Why does everything have to be something you, as the player, have to endure with your own eyes when you'd rather be playing the game? Are people's lives so incredibly boring that even the most boring and mundane parts of a video game character's lives are more exciting and thrilling than their own day-to-day existence?

Food for thought.

Comment

• It shows how much I actually care about the current storyline lol. So you can't think of any ways to tie new protagonists into the current storyline? The only way is to keep on doing the same shit? If the series is only ever going to be about the same group of individuals I'm not sure I even want it to continue. One could say "play another game" in which case they're probably right, but Capcom had a lot of good qualities in the 90's that have been lost today, one of which was not being afraid to try new things. I can't see how long the series can go on for before our heroes start getting grey hairs and wrinkles, in which case a fresh face is deffinately welcome.
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2013, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• The series has been about the same close-knit group of people for 16 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                                The series has been about the same close-knit group of people for 16 years.
                                Indeed it has, doesn't mean it always has to be, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X