Resident Evil 3.5 = Haunting Ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil 3.5 = Haunting Ground?

I can't remember where I read this anymore, but I came across a site once (ONE single site) which claimed that the "Hooked Man" version of Resident Evil 4 eventually became Haunting Ground on the PS2. Now, I've never actually played that game, but that did spark my interest. Judging from the screenshots I've seen, it's kind of hard to imagine that it did come from any version of RE4, but I suppose it could have just been completely overhauled. The environments don't look completely dissimilar, I suppose.

Anybody have any information on this?
    Last edited by TreblaYevrah; 06-15-2012, 02:30 PM.

Some assets were used for Demento (Haunting Ground) when it was being developed, which I think was around the time that 4 got revamped by Mikami. I'd try to elaborate more on this, but unfortunately my information is limited, so I apologize.

Comment

Nothing from BH4 was used in Demento/Haunting Ground. It is possible they got inspiration from the BH4 castle, but no material was shared. This was confirmed by Yasuhisa Kawamura. The BH4 team had no idea what the Demento team was working on at the time.

The only connection is that Noboru Sugimura, the scenario writer for BH4 alongside Kawamura, also wrote the basic scenario of Demento. The girl and dog (which were to be in BH4) were most likely his idea.
      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Actually, external teams that were hired for Clock Tower 3 also had their hands in Biohazard 4 and Demento at the same time. The external teams were also brought back in for the PS2 version of 4 so that's most likely the main explanation for reused materials as the area structures in Demento match up to some rooms in 3.5 but with some slight changes.

There's also early concept art that used an extremely early 4/DMC look for Dante in the concept art (it isn't concept art for DMC3 either, I've already checked that with one of the storyboard artists) that Team Little Devil were also unaware of as I already ran it past them before, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the development teams didn't know what the external teams that were involved in multiple titles were exactly up to.

I've already found unused materials and have pulled some things like area textures that some were and weren't also used in 4 and I've also pulled beta textures for Fiona and some other crap from surface files in the game.

But you know, despite that I do actually have reused materials (and I do know they were reused, I've gone through every file out of 4 and earlier versions of the retail with crap left in them) on hand and am in the process of getting all of the area and character models out so I can see what other beta materials are sitting deeper in the game files I know that regardless of whatever I say or have gotten as responses from external staff involved - I know a certain person isn't going to believe it either way so I honestly don't see why I should post them on here with that in mind.
        Last edited by Enetirnel; 06-15-2012, 04:02 PM.
        sigpic
        Non-blurry Signature Version
        Youtube | Steam | Website (Under Construction)

Comment

Originally posted by Enetirnel View Post
          Actually, external teams that were hired for Clock Tower 3 also had their hands in Biohazard 4 and Demento at the same time. The external teams were also brought back in for the PS2 version of 4 so that's most likely the main explanation for reused materials as the area structures in Demento match up to some rooms in 3.5 but with some slight changes.

There's also early concept art that used an extremely early 4/DMC look for Dante in the concept art (it isn't concept art for DMC3 either, I've already checked that with one of the storyboard artists) that Team Little Devil were also unaware of as I already ran it past them before, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the development teams didn't know what the external teams that were involved in multiple titles were exactly up to.

I've already found unused materials and have pulled some things like area textures that some were and weren't also used in 4 and I've also pulled beta textures for Fiona and some other crap from surface files in the game.

But you know, despite that I do actually have reused materials on hand and am in the process of getting all of the area and character models out so I can see what other beta materials are sitting deeper in the game files I know that regardless of whatever I say or have gotten as responses from external staff involved - I know a certain person isn't going to believe it either way so I honestly don't see why I should post them on here with that in mind.
          Sounds interesting. Who were the external teams?

Comment

Originally posted by Enetirnel

But you know, despite that I do actually have reused materials on hand and am in the process of getting all of the area and character models out so I can see what other beta materials are sitting deeper in the game files I know that regardless of whatever I say or have gotten as responses from external staff involved - I know a certain person isn't going to believe it either way so I honestly don't see why I should post them on here with that in mind.
            If I'm going to place my money on anyone's knowledge of Demento, it'd have to be Enetirnel.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TreblaYevrah View Post
              I can't remember where I read this anymore, but I came across a site once (ONE single site) which claimed that the "Hooked Man" version of Resident Evil 4 eventually became Haunting Ground on the PS2. Now, I've never actually played that game, but that did spark my interest. Judging from the screenshots I've seen, it's kind of hard to imagine that it did come from any version of RE4, but I suppose it could have just been completely overhauled. The environments don't look completely dissimilar, I suppose.

Anybody have any information on this?
              Some backgrounds looks similar, nothing more.
              Last edited by killer7ITA; 06-16-2012, 03:12 AM.
              I'm looking for Resident Evil 3.5 (BioHazard 4 "Progenitor" and "Hallucination"-"Hookman" Version) or scans, articles! Resident Evil 1.5 release info = http://www.bioflames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3328

Comment

Given the theme of the story (immortality) I suspect there was more than just background stuff taken for Haunting Ground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	e6096b7ba9d3c0_full.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	401378

In fact, this old man is trying to become immortal. He sits in his wheel chair, in his castle, plotting just how to be immortal

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spencer_wheelchair.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	466.9 KB
ID:	401379

So is this old man. In his wheel chair. In a castle. Trying to get him some immortality.

There's also that image of of a blonde haired woman that looks similar to Ashley/Fiona with a dog that looks very much like Hewie among the 3.5 beta material Dot grabbed from one of those RE4 discs years ago.

It's not 3.5, at least not quite, but I recall Enetirnel has mentioned several of the rooms and maps are similar/identical to 3.5 ones, some rooms skins seem to be there, etc. I think you even find the creepy fucking dolls from 3.5 in Haunting Ground, although I might be wrong. Unfortunately, Enetirnel might not feel like sharing because a couple of folks yell at her whenever she does. We'll probably have to wait until her own site is up and running, with her own article explaining it all in detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                  There's also that image of of a blonde haired woman that looks similar to Ashley/Fiona with a dog that looks very much like Hewie among the 3.5 beta material Dot grabbed from one of those RE4 discs years ago.

Her Beta model had weird eye lashes , that's the best i could have done , Though those texture look like an Alien Lol , i have a fixed one X_X
                  Darkness : Tactical reload wasn't even in deadly silence LMAO
                  ^ Lol ...

Comment

There's also reason to suspect 'hookman' being what we now know as Debilitas based on specific concept art of him.

Comment

is haunting ground a gd game? is it worth a buy?

Comment

Originally posted by P.I.M.P. View Post
                        is haunting ground a gd game? is it worth a buy?
                        Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                          Yes.
                          does it make u jump? is it really scary?

Comment

It makes you feel helpless, so very intense.

Comment

It's not really a "jump" scare game, it's about fearing for your life and trying to hide while being chased by three stalkers who each want to do something gruesome to you. There are a lot of unique situations in the game and each stalker is distinctly creepy in their own right.

Comment

Working...
                              X