No announcement yet.

A RE2 well-known concept art is my remake sugestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controversial thought; if anything, Capcom should turn to Quantic Dream and let them have a go at a Resident Evil 2 re-imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
      Controversial thought; if anything, Capcom should turn to Quantic Dream and let them have a go at a Resident Evil 2 re-imagination.
      Hmm press X to LEOOOOOOOOON! or press X to ADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Comment

Resident Evil 2 re-imagination.
        Noooooooooooooo , Would make lots of problems than it solves !
        Darkness : Tactical reload wasn't even in deadly silence LMAO
        ^ Lol ...

Comment

Originally posted by shanemurphy View Post
          There is a HUGE difference between working with a pre-rendered system and a fully 3D environment.
          Only on the programming side of the engine. As for gameplay, you can achieve very similar effects with either, depending on how skilled and smart the engineer team is.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
          , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
            Only on the programming side of the engine. As for gameplay, you can achieve very similar effects with either, depending on how skilled and smart the engineer team is.
            There is a huge difference in the actual design, I can go into UDK or the Hammer Editor and make a basic room that is fully playable with collision.

With pre-rendered backgrounds? the process is very different.

Comment

Not entirely true. You can make pre-rendered stuff behave like a real 3D environment, even with animated parts of the background and dynamic camera angles (example: Parasite Eve 2 during the introduction scene where you actually walk in a pseudo 3D world simulated with a movie playing in specific part in which the motion takes place). It sure needs a lot of work and decent planning, but it's doable.
              Last edited by Gemini; 07-16-2012, 03:06 PM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
              , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

I think FF7 did something similar to that? Pre rendered backgrounds are stunning when done right, remember the first time Remake came out? the lighting, the shadows the blood and water actually blending perfectly into the pre rendered scenes it was stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                  Not entirely true. You can make pre-rendered stuff behave like a real 3D environment, even with animated parts of the background and dynamic camera angles (example: Parasite Eve 2 during the introduction scene where you actually walk in a pseudo 3D world simulated with a movie playing in specific part in which the motion takes place). It sure needs a lot of work and decent planning, but it's doable.
                  If you remember, at the Akropolis Tower you could only walk, very slow, it requires a lot of streaming data, and HDD speed it's really a bottleneck in this case.

It's "easier" to use the normal map technique along with a displacement map, then trying to optimize the mesh reducing the draw calls at minimum. you can then bake the light maps with a raytrace renderer.

I must say (since you mentioned Parasite Eve 2) that Squaresoft was way better than Capcom with pre rendered backgrounds.

Comment

I think people should dwell a little on my Quantic Dream comment and actually let it sink in. Maybe actually having played something like Heavy Rain could help getting onto some the track as my current train of thought.

Originally posted by shanemurphy View Post
                    There is a huge difference in the actual design, I can go into UDK or the Hammer Editor and make a basic room that is fully playable with collision.

With pre-rendered backgrounds? the process is very different.
                    As Gemini already pointed out; not really much different. Assuming you have a static camera or the camera is somehow locked to the rails needed for whatever level of interactivity you want the pre-rendered material to have (such as interactive FMVs and such). Most 3D games utilizing "cinematic" pre-rendered backgrounds pretty much just keep a full (usually very low-poly) 3D structure undearneath it all to act as terrain and hit-detection. The pre-rendered backgrounds more or less simply act as a backdrop/skybox/flat-texture to an otherwise untextured environment. With some overlays/layers for stuff that's to appear at specific depths and locations.

As for who was best with pre-renders on the PS1?
                    Fear Effect wants to jump into that battle; for pretty much only using animated/FMV backgrounds. Most games went to a friggin crawl whenever you tried to combine FMVs with anything at all (just take a look at the performance dips during the elevator sequences in FFVII and the garden war stuff in FFVIII)
                    Last edited by Carnivol; 07-16-2012, 03:33 PM.

Comment

As for who was best with pre-renders on the PS1?
                      Fear Effect wants to jump into that battle; for pretty much only using animated/FMV backgrounds. Most games went to a friggin crawl whenever you tried to combine FMVs with anything at all (just take a look at the performance dips during the elevator sequences in FFVII and the garden war stuff in FFVIII)
                      That's one of the game that I never played, but thanks to YouTube, it looks that they used various layers, for example the ventilation fans can be part of a layer and the animated stuff is only a little portion the screen is 16:9 (with the HUD that covers the pixels that make it 4:3), so the background is smaller than usual, unfortunately they didn't look as good as Resident Evil 2, but I did noticed that there is no pause between camera angle changes, or it's because of the emulator? If no, it's very well programmed, for example Koudelka is that slow loading the backgrounds that is disorienting.

There's another thing, the PAL version of the PSX games, as you already know, runs at 50Hz, in Parasite Eve 2, the Akropolis Tower scene runs skipping some frames, and the animation is chunky.

Comment

Originally posted by SonicBlue View Post
                        That's one of the game that I never played, but thanks to YouTube, it looks that they used various layers, for example the ventilation fans can be part of a layer and the animated stuff is only a little portion the screen is 16:9 (with the HUD that covers the pixels that make it 4:3), so the background is smaller than usual, unfortunately they didn't look as good as Resident Evil 2, but I did noticed that there is no pause between camera angle changes, or it's because of the emulator? If no, it's very well programmed, for example Koudelka is that slow loading the backgrounds that is disorienting.
                        Fear Effect loads fast 'cause it doesn't pre-load anything background related. The backgrounds are entirely streamed FMV videos. The only thing that's pre-loaded are character models, basic audio samples, sequenced music, etc.. This heavy reliance on streamed FMV backgrounds is also why the two Fear Effect games both utilize 4 CD-ROMs each, rather than just being tinzy winzy single CD-ROM games.

Comment

Fear Effect loads fast 'cause it doesn't pre-load anything background related. The backgrounds are entirely streamed FMV videos. The only thing that's pre-loaded are character models, basic audio samples, sequenced music, etc.. This heavy reliance on streamed FMV backgrounds is also why the two Fear Effect games both utilize 4 CD-ROMs each, rather than just being tinzy winzy single CD-ROM games.
                          I thought was better to read Wikipedia first lol.

Comment

I missed Fear Effect during PS1 era and played it on emulator for the first time a few years ago, and oh my god I fell in love with that game. Art direction is so strong and stylish I can only hope there will be projects with similar premise. Dark humor and a little bit of survival horror elements - a great atmosphere, but I don't want to spoil it to anyone who hasn't tried yet, you gotta experience it yourself.

As a PSX game, Fear Effect is the definition of 'cool' for me.

Comment

Working...
                            X