Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRC Protocol?

I'm sure you guys have considered it.

Is there a specific reason why you haven't, or has this idea really hadn't had that much thought put into it?

I don't think it would be that bad of an idea.

Dot50Cal is afraid of IRC!

Anyway, the subject was brought up a few years back, but has kinda been dead for some time now (mostly 'cause the "regulars" amongst staff hardly do group chats these days, mostly 'cause we're busy with personal/private stuff elsewhere, and because part of staff firmly believed the entire thing was a memory hog meant for horny teens... and 'cause their only real experience with it was through trolling another place I'm part of staff for )

Also, a lot of people are (surprisingly enough) incapable of getting themselves up and running with an IRC client and stuff... Hopefully nothing a quick guide (it'd be very short and direct) couldn't fix!

If you somehow manage to convince Dot50Cal that it is something that should be kicked into action, the entire thing is more or less "ready-to-go." Pretty much just have to flip the switch for it, wrap up the instructions for which network we're using and add things to the front page (Don't think we'd be integrating any java clients, for various reasons, so you'd have to settle with a normal app.)

And, oh, just a general thing;
    To anyone who want to see a THIA IRC channel; Please don't start your own channel using the THIA name. You can of course mention your own channel and such, but if you don't have a greenflag from the higher ups, leave the THIA name out of it ;)

Comment

Uh oh, IRC talk again. This didn't end well last time.

Comment

IRC = Chatbox, right? Initially I was against it, but after the chatbox on Dot50Cal's livestream channel, it's sorta changed my mind. I had a right laugh on there with other THIA members and it was good to be able to IM them in real time. I'd be open to the idea if Dot50Cal approved.

Comment

Now look guys, the idea just came to me...

But hey, let's see what Dot thinks when and if he sees this thread. I'd like to hear from the big man himself.

Comment

If you guys want to set up something official, I'd probably let Carn handle it. While I'm against the idea, I don't really have any thoughts one way or the other if someone else wanted to handle it. If you are up for it Carn, and have the ability to set something up through your contacts, then yeah, go for it.

The only thing I'd be concerned with is the anonymous nature of it, and the ability to trick folks easily into thinking you are someone who you aren't, thus possibly infecting them with viruses and such if you accept a file transfer. Thats why I've been against it in the past. Just don't expect me to show up on it
            Last edited by Dot50Cal; 09-16-2009, 04:04 PM.

Comment

DCC sends are almost impossible for the common man to even get working these days on IRC (thanks to firewalls and stuff) (+certain networks wont even let you do file sends without adding people to an approved list for incoming transfers)

Anyway, I could try to get something up and running soon-ishly, as a tiny experiment, I suppose.

Comment

I've been using IRC for years. I have experience being a netadmin on multiple servers and I practically know every network command (at least on UnrealIRCd and bIRCd). I'm not asking for any special permissions in-case this IRC idea gets pulled off, but I'd be glad to help out anyway I can if needed.

Comment

@VirusPunk
                  That could be handy. We probably wont be using a super secret private network or a server of our own, though. Feel free to PM me if you have any suggestions or want to know which ones I had in mind (I'd prefer to keep that under wraps until I've gotten around to set things up).

Anyway, we'll be going with something open and public, as it's generally better for appearance than using some "underground" or private thing... though, if received well, having a network of our own would be kinda cool.

Comment

Well well. Let's see what happens.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I still have some of the logs from the IRC chats White Umbrella used to do. This was like 7-8 years ago, so many of us were still in our teens back then, so naturally its hardly constructive material

I believed we used something called jPilot which was like a java-based IRC client that was web based so users didn't have to have their own IRC program like mIRC to connect to the channel, they'd just login through the website.

Comment

I've been on a few IRC channels myself as an admin and whatnot. Although I don't have the knowledge that VirusPunk does, I really liked the IRC for the idea that it was real time instead of waiting for responses to questions and such. I think it would be pretty cool to have an IRC for the site.

Comment

Okay, ladies and gents, we're not officially "open" yet, but we've now got a preliminary channel experiment going.

It's still a little rough around the edges, and we probably wont set up a java client (at least not anytime soon) on the front page.

However, you may now point your IRC clients (be it mIRC, x-chat, or something else) to;

Channel:
                          #THIA
                          Server:
                          irc.enterthegame.com
                          Port:

We'll probably wrap up a front page thingy for this later.

Also, people who're frequenters to IRC stuff probably know how to behave, while others might want to quickly check ut; ETG - Rules. Just to get a general idea of the "Do"s and "Don't"s (most of you should already know the THIA "Do"'s and "Don't"s, which also apply to our IRC channel)

I'll be idling there, most likely 24/7. Keep in mind that others might be idling too (no shame in just being "present" without talking), so don't be all upset if no one replies when you drop by ;D
                          Last edited by Carnivol; 09-21-2009, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Yay. Glad to hear its up. Thanks for all the work Carn, and to anyone else if they worked on it.
                            sigpic
                            Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

Wait, you need to download something in order to do this IRC stuff? I have no idea what it is, I just figured it was like a little chatbox in the bottom corner of the main page or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X