No announcement yet.

Community Input: Ad's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the end of the day - it's your site. If you need to use some small ads to help ease operational costs then it's not really fair on anyone to say otherwise. I doubt it'll go out of control because we've all seen how complete spam-whoring of ads can lead to the death of a fansite, but that was because it was for profit, not to ease the burden of costs. It's completely up to you.

Comment

If it's good for the site's well being and continued existence than there's no way in hell I would oppose this in anyway

Comment

I guess this might sound like I'm pulling things out of proportions, but I've always kinda felt that not being ad-driven in any way gives us a nice feeling and standing of independent and having a certain flavor of integrity.

(Heck, some people were kind enough to label me in all sorts of ways when they learned of my volunteer work as a moderator and support assistant at the community site for Bionic Commando. Really doesn't take a lot before people start throwing stuff around.)

Say, could we get some input from non-regulars here? That'd be really sweet. I'm kinda curious about what both the newcomers and non-regulars think.
        Last edited by Carnivol; 08-31-2010, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Un-registered (or people who're not just logged in) browsing the forums will get googleads boxes snuck in between posts every now and then (think the plug-in that's used on the board there has them also tucked into the profile segment of the opening post or something too).
          Those things are horrible and unsightly. I dont want to turn people off browsing the boards. I know I don't like it when I see that stuff on a board. About the only ad's I really tolerate are those sneaky ones were thinking about using that are placed in an area where it will blend in well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
            Those things are horrible and unsightly. I dont want to turn people off browsing the boards. I know I don't like it when I see that stuff on a board. About the only ad's I really tolerate are those sneaky ones were thinking about using that are placed in an area where it will blend in well.
            Just checked how they look on the PP boards, since I haven't checked them in a while and just wrote the above out of how I remember them when they were first implemented ages ago.

There are currently 3 ad spots showing up per thread page (nothing when just browsing forums/sub-forums). They're all text only ads, no banners/pictures, and mostly just translation/linguistic service related (Since you get to disable anything you don't want showing up). The first appears beneath the avatar of the OP, the second in his signature space, and the third at the very bottom of the page (between the board software copyright text and log-in box at the bottom and the next/previous page and reply buttons and stuff at the bottom of the last post).

I could probably check with Cless what the activity is on them.

No one's winning any design awards for them (but redesigning their presentation shouldn't be hard), but the fact that they are just pure underlined text links (with mostly just headlines/keywords) makes them blend in with the backgrounds and everything (and the fact that they are le gone when you're logged in is a pretty sweet touch.) Besides, as far as actual clicks goes, you'd be relying on non-regulars for anything that isn't directly tailored towards the members of the community (which at least stuff like the Play-Asia referral links are - for those who're old enough to order stuff online, anyway...)

I dunno what you mean by "blend in well", but I hope it's not gonna be like the REHorror ones where you seriously couldn't tell whether a headline in the top banner was an ad or a real site feature/article (unless you looked at the URL or just clicked to find out). A dedicated ad space as part of the redesign? Sure. Full control over what type of ads we actually have? Mandatory.

Anyway, for those of us who're actually kinda skeptical to this sudden change (especially after years of wholeheartedly agreeing to not only the complaints about certain other sites' (ab)use of ads and how THIA will never follow or even remotely go in that direction), I must say you'd probably have to actually be online sometime and try to illustrate what you have in mind. 'Cause what you're describing now is exactly what we apparently would never do for the past half-a-decade, and I must say that if I wanted to be an ass about it (which I am), I'd almost dare to say that it's just a matter of time before you make an accompanying "business blog" on the side

Comment

Ads are fine with me, but its still your site when it comes to the bottom line.
              Finally playing 1.5. Woo-Hoo!!!

sigpic

Comment

When it comes to operating costs, recuperating a little money so you don't have to shell out so much (when it comes time to renew a domain name, server hosting plan, or other expenses) isn't a bad idea.

With a community as close knit as we are (regular posters anyway) will more than likely show their support at first because it's something new and overtime, they will get accustomed to it and pretty much ignore the ads. This is how it seemed to be over at ResidentEvilFan when Rombie/Roody introduced ads a few years (I think maybe 2007/8?) back. Users now show their support of REF by occasionally clicking on relevant/interesting links. If the ad is a non-intrusive advertisement, 9 times out of 10 it will be overlooked be cause we train ourselves to expect it and thus not pay attention to it unless it's in a different in-the-way place every time.

Image ad's are more obtrusive, but can also be quite comical in a sarcastic sense if for example a topic is about how much a person hate's the resident evil movies and the ads are promoting say Resident Evil Afterlife due to keywords in the topic.

Flashy ads are the ones that get me. Yesterday for example, I was chatting with hot singles in my area because flashing graphics confuse me and compel me to click them. Especially when the close "x" is not really a "close this window now, because I'm at work and don't want to get fired, kthanx" but more of a "haha, we will now blast obnoxious music and ad (see what I did there) more flashing lights to ensure all your co-workers know you're goofing off on the job".

Stay away from those Dot!

Comment

I love those hot singles ads. They always list a location based on your IP. Living in a tiny place always means those ads list hilarious locations. (There were apparently lots of hot single babes living in the swimming resort at a local hotel, just waiting to chat it up with me. There were also lots of hot singles living at the local glue factory... sweet! Hot women AND the smell of boiled dead animals!)

I think we should try to advertise for these guys Pizza Movil (We decided not to order food from them when we visited that website)

Comment

When we get a working example I'll post it. But I'd rather have ONE specifically placed ad than something which hooks into vbulletin. I dont want the forum experience to be degraded by ad's. Ultimately, if we do go ahead with this, I'm probably the harshest judge here on having ad's, so its going to be done well and as unobtrusive as possible.
                    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 09-02-2010, 11:47 AM.

Comment

1x1 iframes?

Comment

At least I think play-asia is the least "in the way" solution (along with other major and reliable web-stores that allows for product affiliate links and search boxes w/out really having a logo or anything). They pay pretty well (based on a viewable percentage on each product on their site) and you're pretty much free to present them in whatever way you want.

Comment

Dot, you should see if you can't resurrect that mosquito ad that was on reH for a while. Everyone loved it.

Comment

This is so 2006. Down to the smallest detail. I dont know whether to laugh or facepalm.

For the record, I have no problems with ads.

Comment

If it were me I would've put ads on the site a long time ago. The site gets so much traffic as it is you would've been a millionaire by now!

Think Dot, think!

Comment

Working...
                              X