THIA: Forum only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THIA: Forum only?

Just curious on your thoughts on this. I've discussed it with a few people and met with mostly positive reactions. I just don't have the time to work on the site and don't see the need for what we were planning on doing anymore.

Suggestions?

Personally? I prefer content to a website. I know I tend not go near near places that are only forums - THIA is something of an exception. I think we'll see the community slowly dwindle down as people have no reason to come here when they can head to another site and get both.

Comment

Just repeating something from the chat w/Dot50Cal here now;

we'll be keeping all current features up online, but we're still uncertain on what we'll do about the current frontpage (probably keep the newsfeed + try to see if we can make a new presentation/style for the old content; while at the same time more or less bringing forth the message that it's from the old site and that new content's not to be expected.)

We'll probably be trying to find some subjects for a few podcasts here and there. They're easy to do and we enjoy doing them quite a lot (especially since they're pretty much the only times we manage to gather larger groups)

Anyway, I think the first thing we'll probably try to nail down is how to share with you all a lot of the content that has been prepared, but which we've never really gotten wrapped up for presentation. I recently found one of the drafts for the TSBB in my backup drive (not the last pass I did, that one's on the drive of a now dead laptop...). This is the one that the Spanish translation was mostly based on. Guess we could see about whether or not we could get that one wrapped up somehow (or at least share the text files with the public).

Same goes for some other neat stuff that's gone largely unseen for ages... Most likely it'll just be a length newspost of some sort with a little bit of backstory to each piece of random content, what we had in mind and why it ultimately fell through.
      Last edited by Carnivol; 08-31-2011, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Shugotenshi (think that was his name) will go absolutely BALLISTIC haha

But yeah, if you've no time to work on updates than there's no need to keep people hanging on. It's not like people will be driven away by the idea that there won't be newer content in future.

Comment

Since it would be a waste to remove what content is already there, I suppose it's best to keep some kind of front site up.

But yeah as Carn said, we pretty much need to just put up whatever we're doing with a clear message that new content won't be coming. Or at least to not expect any. Maybe a podcast here and there or something or a writeup about stuff.

Though I know it wasn't really necessary of my responsibility, at least now I don't have to justify the absence of stuff like the promised RE1 & 1.5 sections anymore haha.
          sigpic

Comment

Your forgetting it's been pretty much a forum for a long time.. I don't think anything will change, but if the features/news sections aren't updated often with good material the community will eventually get smaller. I imagine most hardcore RE fans will stick around though and people will still arrive from Google etc..

I like the usability of this forum, quick and easy - you don't even need to upgrade to VB4 actually, I heard a lot of problems about it. Xenforo (created by ex-VB team) may be a good choice in the future after the lawsuits have been settled..

I still disagree with the idea however, there's a lot of stuff to do with RE, just need to be creative..

Comment

I suppose the question here is; why switch to pure forum content? If Dot lacks the time or drive I'm sure there are some trust worthy folks (me and whoever I can beat, abuse and bully) who'd be happy to do some stuff for the site. We can at least do some stuff, and maybe even some editorial type things...if I can find enough voltage to remind people of common sense.

If there's another reason, then sure. We can go this route. I just don't think it's the best bet.

Comment

Alzaire, why don't you just make a site about it entirely by yourself?
                Last edited by Anders; 09-01-2011, 06:01 PM.
                lostreleases // demopals

Comment

Oh boy... first residentevilfan and now THIA...

Its ridikulas how many RE sites don't update their site with RE news these days.

I guess I'll have to continue using Google News to get all my RE related news.
                  Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                  sigpic

Comment

Nah, we'll still have our news section, I'm sure.

Comment

I was really looking forward to the RE1 section.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'd be more than happy to help the site's news section! I look through video game news/blogs/sites all day long. And with the TGS coming up I'm sure there will a lot of news on the way. (Hopefully...)

I've actually wondered for a long time why the news front page rarely gets updated; made me wonder what this site considered newsworthy..

So.. Uh.. Yeah! I'd be happy to help update the front page news. (I'd also love to see a new design for the site.. Not that I dislike the current one.. ..)
                        sigpic

Comment

I'd support you being a newsposter. You've been here a while now and have always seemed nice.

I also prefer content to a website. I don't think we should remove any content, just make it clear there won't be any more.

Comment

Keep with it - there's always the future and if it doesn't cost a great deal to keep this running then you might find your interest peaks and you are renewed with vigour again with regard to the site and series.

I'd be very sad to see this place go, this and Project Umbrella are the only things I have to do with Resident Evil on the interwebs now.
                            http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                            http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                            Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

I think you should at least keep the news section, because it's not that much work to update and people already post them so they can discuss them, also it helps bringing new people here.

Comment

Working...
                              X