Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you just make sure u use spoilers bud

Comment

• Actually, dude, please dont put that here. Can you direct it into the spoiler thread if you are going to put un-seen screens up? Thanks!

Comment

• The guys over at the Digital Foundry will be doing a thorough analysis as well when the US versions are out. For those who aren't familiar with them, check out the blog; they do frame rate analysis as well (so you'll know even if it dips 2Hz or less):

Digital Foundry specializes in technical analysis of gaming hardware and software, using state-of-the-art capture systems to show you how well games and hardware run.

Bookmark the page since they do this with almost every game out there. And out.
        Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 03-06-2009, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Funny, the guy who ran that contacted me on an old account I have, asking if I wanted to partner up with him to work for him, lol. I found it out too late and he already moved on

Comment

• Someone by the handle MazingerDUDE. I think he was scouting people with good capturing equipment to do part of the work aside from the frame rate analysis.

Comment

• I m not sure if this was posted already or if anyone cares, but IGN did their Head-to-Head on RE5 and here s the graphical comparison. I noticed that is has zero mention of the QAA technique that s used on PS3. My guess is that IGN being so casual, just doesn t even bother to mention things like that. I doubt that the final version of the PS3 has it removed.

Presentation
              Resident Evil 5 is one of the most technically spectacular games of this generation. It's crammed to the gills with environmental detail, elaborate character models, terrific natural lighting, and some fantastic explosion effects. Facial animations and lip-synching are also nuanced and bring out some subtle undertones in cutscenes. From a technical standpoint, you'd be hard pressed to find a more impressive game on either console.

Still, there are some small differences worth noting. The PS3 presents more brightly, and this helps to bring out more visual detail in dark areas. In comparison, the blacks in the 360 version tend to wash out some of the finer details. In brightly lit areas, however, the PS3's brightness adds a slight haziness to the image that makes brighter colors look a touch washed out. The PS3 takes a hit in the framerate department, with noticeable dips into the low 20's in some especially hectic scenes. It's also worth noting the PS3 version appears slightly more aliased than the 360 version. You won't see this without looking closely because environments generally have so much polygonal detail that straight lines never stand out. Still, you'll notice a slight jagginess on gun models and some simpler environmental objects in the PS3 version.

The PS3 version requires a hefty 4.8GB installation that took me upwards of fifteen minutes. Once the game is running, the PS3 version loaded into levels just a second or two more quickly than the 360. The PS3 will have you loaded in from the level select menu in 10-11 seconds while this takes 12-13 seconds on the 360. It's a small difference and shouldn't be an issue either way.

The biggest factor for most hardcore gamers will be the framerate. If you know in advance that framerate drops are an issue for you than the 360 version should be the one to get. Otherwise, both versions look just as good as one another. The 360 gets the win here because of its more stable framerate, but the PS3 version shouldn't be considered inferior by any stretch of the imagination. Both versions look better than almost any other game out there.

Overall
              1. Xbox 360
              2. PS3

The Verdict
              Resident Evil 5 is a lavish production and it's clear that Capcom has put a lot of emphasis on delivering an equivalent experience on the PS3 and 360. Both versions are technically polished and have a level of production value that few games can match. With a wealth of modes, bonuses, and unlockables, you'll be getting a terrific product on both the PS3 and 360. There are some small graphical differences that might matter to some hardcore fans. The PS3's framerate is more prone to dips and has some slight aliasing that's not as noticeable on the 360. The 360 loses some detail with its black levels, but, again, the same happens for the PS3 in brightly lit areas.

While I'm hesitant to say that one version is legitimately "better" than the other, I'm going to recommend the 360 over the PS3. The framerate dips on the PS3 weren't an issue for me, but they might be irritating to some hardcore gamers with a trained eye. If you don't care about framerate, both versions are equally good.

Overall
              1. Xbox 360
              2. PS3
              Last edited by Amphion; 03-07-2009, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• well, not really anything we didn't already know ..

did they have video or pictures ?

Comment

• It doesn't surprise me. In the past, IGN has done terrible head to heads where they completely leave out technical details.

Comment

• I think it's for the best, since they don't really have a technical guy on staff.

The frame rate is much improved in the final PS3 game and having finished the game, I can count the dips on one hand (and there's none in the assembly)... most of which seems that the engine slows down since it's v-locked. The most significant one was during a QTE.

It just depends on how picky you are and controller preference.

Comment

• ^ I agree. Having beaten the game on the PS3 twice, I can count maybe 3 times the framerate dipped noticeably, but it was only for 3-4 seconds each time and didn't hinder my amazing headshot kills at all. No complaints here.

Comment

• Great Sounds awesome guys. Looking forward to playing the game a lot now. I guess it finally hit me that its about to release

The comparison may be a bit delayed, I am moving to NY soon, and I can't exactly go spending 300$ before that for a new HDMI capture card. Rest assured, it'll be up eventually

Comment

• pheww... I was starting to get worried about those framerate issues. Thanks for the info!

Comment

• Umon - I see from that Blog you linked to, his Twitter feed says he's started his capturing of the HD footage for the comparion and seems to be noting some very interesting choices made by Capcom in regards to the title. I'm looking forward to see the results.

Comment

• ign have put up the comparison video

i don't think there's any need for this on the main page ..

edit : fuck it, its insider only.
                              Last edited by A-J; 03-09-2009, 05:39 AM.

Comment

• ^ Don't worry about it AJ, it's shit. I just watched it. They State the exact same as the written in video form, yet the only things they could actually show in video form was two things:

a) it's basically identical, and
                                b) the PS3 edition has a little more detail in the blacks - although that could simply be the fact they had their contrast ratio or settings on the console different.

The only other thing mentioned was the AA on the PS3 which was stated as you'd really have to look close to see the real differences, but they still award the 360 edition the win purely on the odd frame rate drops on the PS3. They never show any examples of the PS3 edition doing that on video. They do note that neither will be a bad choice but expect that people will be picky about the frame rate issues if they do care.

Comment

Working...
                                X