No announcement yet.

Biohazard 5 Demo Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• allright im getting sick of this so here is this college or whatever that does electronics and here is their research. If you dont understand this then grab a book.

Comment

• That's not a research, just a bunch of schematics and specs grabbed off IBM's site and others put neatly in a pdf. There have been some professional comparisons done in the past with as much information available (without having to pay for them).

Hardly relevant to the topic of comparing the two RE5 demos though.
      Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 03-09-2009, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• i know but like half of this thread everybody is talking about the GPU and everything so i just thought this is discribtive enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rombie View Post
          Umon - I see from that Blog you linked to, his Twitter feed says he's started his capturing of the HD footage for the comparion and seems to be noting some very interesting choices made by Capcom in regards to the title. I'm looking forward to see the results.
          Didn't notice it until now, and it's apparently out tomorrow at Eurogamer and proper 720p vids at the blog.

Late Edit: As expected, the fluctuations may have never been an issue gameplay wise, even with those few really noticeable instances, a frame rate analysis' numbers show them better. If it revealed 5Hz or so differences between the GTAIV's that no on noticed, you can imagine how it bodes for RE5.

Having beaten the main game in all the difficulties for now, I went through the game and noticed the dips better. Sadly, this isn't another cause like DMC4. Think of it something between the quality of that port and LP.
          Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 03-10-2009, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• Yeah I just got done reading the eurogamer comparison. Looks like the QAA is still there and acts funky just like it did in the demo... Looks like I'll be getting the 360 version instead. How come they can't implement the 4xMSAA on the ps3?? Couldn't they tap some of that Cell power to pull it off?? Maybe the developers were just lazy? Hmmm...

Comment

• so i just read through eurogamer's comparison ..

wow they haven't given a single game in any of their past face off's to the ps3 lol..

Comment

• wow they haven't given a single game in any of their past face off's to the ps3 lol..
                Even the ones that are actually better on the PS3. The GTAIV one was particularly funny, but he is a frame rate whore.
                Not that the guy is biased or anything, since he thinks of Uncharted and Killzone 2 as the best looking/performing console games out there.

I read through the DMC4 one, and I'm surprised that the better shaders and higher cutscene frame rate weren't mentioned on the PS3 (and even said he thought the 360 one looked better which was funny). What's interesting about their comparisons is the guy's posts and others' analysis on B3D later on since he does have great capturing equipment. They've gotten better now though but purely technical of course, so most don't quite appear as obvious.

Anyway, essentially Dot's demo comparison stands in the final games as well. So from now on, it's hard to not blindly recommend a 360 version of a Capcom game unless their engine is optimized properly for the PS3. Given that LP2 wasn't announced for the PS3 yet, I'd say that the ship has sailed.

EDIT: I found this part interesting, particularly in relation to the engine's PS2 roots:

However, Capcom has made extensive use of the 10MB of 'EDRAM' that is directly attached to the Xenos GPU in order to maximise its visual effects. With virtually unlimited bandwidth, effects can be processed enormously quickly. The Cell/RSX combo doesn't this advantage, although ironically, the PS2's graphics synthesiser does - one of the reasons why full software emulation of the older console is difficult on the PlayStation 3.
                Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 03-10-2009, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• here's the IGN head to head video for those who don't have insider. Also available in HD.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• I've started a game of the PS3 version with Mr. Spencer. Thus far, I've noticed some odd things. One, whenever there is a heat haze effect in the distance, the edge of the screen (like 20 pixels or so) will warp, badly. I'm not sure why its only doing it on the 20 pixels, but you can see it somewhat here. Basically, it looks like its "faking" the 20 pixels on the side by mirroring, and then distorting the previous 20 pixels. Take a look at the right side of the attachment.

Its really bizarre in motion, as in the beginning of the game, I had it tuned on a building. It kept mirroring the windows, then gliding out to sky and so on. Very odd. I'll look into it more and give more impressions.

Thus far though, 360 is obviously the better of the two. The QTE's are very weird on 360 too. For some reason, they don't seem to count a light button press. You have to literally slam the buttons down. This can be very difficult in later difficulties, especially with the triggers which have a wide range. AJ and I damn near repeated a scene 9 times because of this. Nothing like that on PS3 yet.

Concerning the framerate, PS3 is pretty bad at times. 360 has almost no slowdown that I have noticed.

Also, in the "shipping yard" with the crates, the lower precision shadows on the PS3 really become obvious. The crates have diagonal banding which is very distracting. As seen in the second pic, the shadows are lower res as well.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 03-13-2009, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• There are areas where it's at the top of the screen, but covers a smaller portion. Wherever there is a body of water such at the trains chapter or the marshlands (where the frame rate is at its worst). I'd mention specific areas I've noticed but they're spoilers. I'm not sure what to make of it; the top portion I assumed it was a consistent tear because they're in areas where it dips below 30Hz.

Anyway, the marshlands is where the frame rate stuck out for me, as well as the assembly. Of course, the empty assembly showcased it better but it's still better than the demo.

Keep playing both versions. When you take the time to explore and take things slowly, you'll notice the inconsistencies. Still, as I said, the most severe/noticeable ones are few and dont' affect the gameplay. Once you switch to the 360, you'll just notice how polished the game really is, and the PS3 version shortcomings look bad and disappointing. I wouldn't recommend getting a 360 just for it since the differences ultimately don't really warrant a console purchase.

But distracting shadows? lol

EDIT: I linked your post on B3D to see what their take is.
                      Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 03-13-2009, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Both versions have it's inconsistencies...360 suffers the screen tears for almost thru out...whereas ps3 version suffers framerate the worst being in a sequence where u'll snipe out enemies in circular motion(not revealing spoilers)

Comment

• And one thing i would like to mention is the frame rate factor is not deciding issue to make overall verdict.

Comment

• Dot, it's apparently a bug, that's all.

Comment

• Heres a quick shot of the shadow bug. You can notice this a lot on the shipyard crates on the PS3. Take a look at the statue + pedestal.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Yeah, I've noticed them. They're not distracting exactly, but like every flaw in the PS3 version, it's annoying and sticks out once you've played the 360 game... and I have.

Comment

Working...
                                X