RE5 Screens, Info Leaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
    I can't speak for anyone in particular Dot, I enjoyed RE4 as well and can't agree more with your comments on the changes to the series, but I can also see the flipside that potentially there are people here who like the series as a series but aren't big "action" game fans or have a different view of what an action game is compared to what RE4 even was. And in that way they are missing the clostrophobic areas and scares which RE4 was mostly lacking.

Personally I'm fine with RE5 being what it is, my interest in the series in general has been lost and that generally is due to the lack of cohesiveness in the story than anything else.

If I want something closer to old school gameplay "reinvented" for the modern age then potentially something like the new Alone In The Dark might be more suitable.
    I love action games, very much. but i love also survival horrors.

There are a lot of action games, why change a SH to another action games? Create a new title. So both the old fians of Re and tghe people who love action are satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Petronio View Post
      In past REs you were a "normal" man/woman who was in the wrong place in the wrong time. Now you are a supermacho that can beat nemesis with a single kick....
      Well I don't agree with that. Resident Evil 1 had you take the role of a trained STARS member, people who knew how to handle themselves. I thought Resident Evil 1 is very easy, much more so than Resident Evil 4. In Resident Evil 1 your only enemy is lack of foresight. Wasting ammo, not knowing how to properly combine herbs, enemy attacks. Once you figure that out, its smooth sailing. Resident Evil 4 adds a batch of unpredictability to the game. Enemies are much more dangerous. One axe throw and it could lead you getting juggled by Ganado's.

One thing I really hope they do in Resident Evil 5 is add a monster like Nemesis. Something that will stalk you throughout the game (Steve?). With the power that new consoles afford, I'd hazard a guess that they could make these encounters randomized. It would be much more terrifying on subsequent playthroughs.

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
      Personally I'm fine with RE5 being what it is, my interest in the series in general has been lost and that generally is due to the lack of cohesiveness in the story than anything else.

If I want something closer to old school gameplay "reinvented" for the modern age then potentially something like the new Alone In The Dark might be more suitable.
      I sort of agree. I keep hoping that Spencer will somehow be brought into the series again so we can at least have full closure on the Umbrella of old, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Its a shame, RE0 hinted that he'd take a more central role and now that we know what happened to Ashford and Marcus it just seems silly not to "do-away" with Spencer as well.

I guess I'm just surprised at how old-timers in the community seem to be calling it quits. It sorta makes me feel out of place, Like I should be joining you guys or something. The only thing I can think is that some of you guys don't like action-type games. Certainly, I dislike some aspects of the new direction but I'm not going to quit playing the series or anything.
      Last edited by Dot50Cal; 05-23-2008, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Resident Evil not just chainged it evolved from survival horor to survival action, and now this "normal" man/woman who was in the wrong place in the wrong time became a trained fighters that strugle against biohazard threats in order for Racoon City horor to never happened again. So everything is logic.
        P.S. There are still plenty of scary moments in chainged RE4 when you play it in the first time.

Originally Posted by Dot50Cal
        One thing I really hope they do in Resident Evil 5 is add a monster like Nemesis. Something that will stalk you throughout the game (Steve?). With the power that new consoles afford, I'd hazard a guess that they could make these encounters randomized. It would be much more terrifying on subsequent playthroughs.

THAT would be Great! I miss Nemesis a lot.
        Last edited by Nomad9026; 05-23-2008, 08:16 AM.
        "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

I think that's the main reason RE4 disapointed me and RE5 looks set to do the same. We know it's perfectly possible to make a game that has the far superior RE4 control system with the horror of the older games. It would be so very easy to do it as well. Sure, have plenty of enemies...but space it out. And have some puzzles beyond, 'Hunt the key,'. RE4 was easiest the dumbest RE game.

The suggestion that Re5 will be less linear is a good start, but they need to cut down on cannon fodder enemies and have something that makes you afraid. Granado's weren't scary, even though they were as tough as zombies and smarter. Zombies were scary. The idea that even in death your body could be reanimated into a monster that would turn on your loved ones is much scarier than a bug in the brain.

If they given it some good puzzles, made the scenes where you fight off huge numbers of enemies into something unusual rather than the norm and make these new enemies more terrifying than Granados then it could still work out. But, let's face it, that ain't happening. It's Granado's Mk II with as much violence and as little thinking as they can cram in, from everything we've seen.

If I want scary I'd play an old game, or Siren, or Silent Hill. If I want action I'll play BioShock. I don't see the point in turning RE into another action game in a geeneration of games flooded by action games, while cutting down both the fear and the puzzles, then sodding the story over.

I'm not so bothered by the online mode, though. If you don't like it...don't play it. I won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
            Well I don't agree with that. Resident Evil 1 had you take the role of a trained STARS member, people who knew how to handle themselves. I thought Resident Evil 1 is very easy, much more so than Resident Evil 4. In Resident Evil 1 your only enemy is lack of foresight. Wasting ammo, not knowing how to properly combine herbs, enemy attacks. Once you figure that out, its smooth sailing. Resident Evil 4 adds a batch of unpredictability to the game. Enemies are much more dangerous. One axe throw and it could lead you getting juggled by Ganado's.
            If you are talking about RE4 without merchant, I agree, but standard RE4 hard diff is too easy, you have a lot ot powerfull weapons! I really hope you are joking saying RE1 is easyer than RE4!
            Yes in RE4 enemies are much more dangerous but also weapons are much more powerfull!
            Last edited by Sunglasses; 05-23-2008, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad9026 View Post
              Resident Evil not just chainged it evolved from survival horor to survival action, and now this "normal" man/woman who was in the wrong place in the wrong time became a trained fighters that strugle against biohazard threats in order for Racoon City horor to never happened again. So everything is logic.
              P.S. There are still plenty of scary moments in chainged RE4 when you play it in the first time.
              Do you think it's a normal evolution? From survival to action?

In RE1 Chris and Jill were well trained agents, not prepared for the nightmare of Spencer's mansion (remeber Rebecca's words in the bravo's chopper). In reuc, chapter Russia, jill and Chris were well trained agents too. But Chris and leon in RE4/5 seem more than well trained agents.

Chris in RE1 didn't touch zombies, in RE5 he punches his opponents...

Comment

Don't you guys think Resident Evil 4's backlash was a bit strengthened by its lack of ties to the series? About the only thing that did tie it were the characters, and even that was very loose.

Resident Evil 5 seems set to change that a bit. We'll likely be going up against Wesker this time. Doesn't that appeal to you guys? At least IMO It seems good. Finally a resolution to Code: Veronica but at the same time Weskers character has changed quite a bit. He seems to have been made into a Neo reject to appease the "new" fanbase. I'd love to see him out of the picture, but I doubt Capcom would do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                  I think that's the main reason RE4 disapointed me and RE5 looks set to do the same. We know it's perfectly possible to make a game that has the far superior RE4 control system with the horror of the older games. It would be so very easy to do it as well. Sure, have plenty of enemies...but space it out. And have some puzzles beyond, 'Hunt the key,'. RE4 was easiest the dumbest RE game.

The suggestion that Re5 will be less linear is a good start, but they need to cut down on cannon fodder enemies and have something that makes you afraid. Granado's weren't scary, even though they were as tough as zombies and smarter. Zombies were scary. The idea that even in death your body could be reanimated into a monster that would turn on your loved ones is much scarier than a bug in the brain.

If they given it some good puzzles, made the scenes where you fight off huge numbers of enemies into something unusual rather than the norm and make these new enemies more terrifying than Granados then it could still work out. But, let's face it, that ain't happening. It's Granado's Mk II with as much violence and as little thinking as they can cram in, from everything we've seen.

If I want scary I'd play an old game, or Siren, or Silent Hill. If I want action I'll play BioShock. I don't see the point in turning RE into another action game in a geeneration of games flooded by action games, while cutting down both the fear and the puzzles, then sodding the story over.

I'm not so bothered by the online mode, though. If you don't like it...don't play it. I won't.
                  Completely agree, except for online. My fear is that having a real person who controsl the secondary character could change your experience.

Comment

Wesker's good...but honestly the RE storyline isn't important. I do like it, as it ties together the experience, but what I want is, 'Aw shit, I'm afraid to enter this room...I dunno if it's gonna be safe, or have five zombies, or what.' Re4 was, 'Hmmm, new area, how big a gun should I use to fight them?'

Wesker's not dying until the last game. He was brought back to life for no good reason, and he's been made into a Mary Sue character because people like him.

Honestly, I can get my fill of shooting crap on any number of game series. With RE I want fear, and I want it beyond, 'Oh noes, lots of people are running at me, allow to kill them all.'

Comment

Darkmoon, RE5 has an element that might be like that. When entering a house after being out in the light, your eyes take a moment to adjust. It might help increase the tension. For me the old series has been fear of the unknown. That sort of got stale to be honest. It wasn't really about fear anymore by the time Zero hit.
                      Last edited by Dot50Cal; 05-23-2008, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Well the best solution to your argument is : Have a sound sleep and try it(the game) before coming up with any personal judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by Petronio View Post
                          Do you think it's a normal evolution? From survival to action?

In RE1 Chris and Jill were well trained agents, not prepared for the nightmare of Spencer's mansion (remeber Rebecca's words in the bravo's chopper). In reuc, chapter Russia, jill and Chris were well trained agents too. But Chris and leon in RE4/5 seem more than well trained agents.

Chris in RE1 didn't touch zombies, in RE5 he punches his opponents...
                          Well... As i said, RE4 is still a survivor but it is a survivor action. And in RE 1 Chris stabed zombies with a dagger in their head's and put a grenades in their mouth.
                          And they are no zombies in RE5 aswell.So why dont you punch your enemy when you have a chance.
                          Last edited by Nomad9026; 05-23-2008, 08:32 AM.
                          "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

I'm going to. But I'm expecting more action and no puzzles, or fear, and if that's what I get then this is the last RE I plan to buy on release.

The room things sounds cool, Dot, but I'll still probably be aiming a shotgun and looking for enemies when I walk in...because if the game attacks you while you can't see that's gonna be cheap as hell. So I expect they'll hang back a moment before attacking. And it's still a case of, 'Which enemies are here and how many?' rather than, 'What's here? Zombie? Booss fight? Puzzle? Save point?'

Comment

What kind of games do you guys all play? Any action games that you like? I mean, do you dislike the game just because it has the Resident Evil name on it, but otherwise enjoy the gameplay?

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad9026 View Post
                                Well... As i said, RE4 is still a survivor but it is a survivor action. And in RE 1 Chris stabed zombies with a dagger in their head's and put a grenades in their mouth.
                                And they are no zombies in RE5 aswell.So why dont you punch your enemy when you have a chance.
                                Re4 isn a survival action. Is action. Too many bullets, to many kicks...

You can say it is a horror action... but not so horror...

Comment

Working...
                                X