No announcement yet.

RE5 Screens, Info Leaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's generally foolish to bitch and moan about how crap the new Resident Evil looks. The series had to progress to garner more sales, the system was getting stale. I mean, how well did the Outbreak series sell, relative to Resident Evil 4? REmake? Zero? They didn't do too well compared to the new formula.

I'm interested to see how SH Homecoming goes, to tell us if the old school survival horror format (though Homecoming does push it) still shifts units.

I'm all for change. Bring on RE5! =)

Comment

Sorry Dot, long post buddy... please forgive me....

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
      I guess I'm just surprised at how old-timers in the community seem to be calling it quits. It sorta makes me feel out of place, Like I should be joining you guys or something. The only thing I can think is that some of you guys don't like action-type games. Certainly, I dislike some aspects of the new direction but I'm not going to quit playing the series or anything.
      I never said I was calling it quits persay because I know in the end I'll play the game, but that I've been far more enthused about other sequels to other games than I currently am about RE5 (aside from that though I have less time in my actual life to devote online to the series, something thats been happening more and more since 2003 even when I was still right into the series as a whole... but I digress...).

I'll put it this way.... my choice in gameplay of late has been clearly devided into two camps; games which I can pick up and play with little to no story and are fun (see stuff like Burnout Paradise etc.) or completely the opposite end of the spectrum with a inclusive or (reletively) cohesive storyline which is involving (see GTAIV or MGS4). I think it's because I have to be specific with the amount of time I have towards gaming (and online, and everything else).

There just isn't any middle ground because I either want to invest time into something or not a lot of time.... and with the Resident Evil series now.... well RE4 was a problem because the gameplay is a little more than really pick up and play alone but the story really didn't go anywhere in all honesty to keep me hooked (I can summarize the entire thing in three lines) and really after it all I didn't give a rats ass about what happened. I've played through RE4 about six times now and the gameplay is awesome, no doubt about it, and Capcom's clearly done a good move on their part for the series when it comes to sales... and I can accept at the same time it was really the only way to fix what they'd clearly lost a grip on a long time ago.

Capcom keeps changing the plot so much now that I'm half expecting we'll find out that Wesker's intentions are actually a plan to thwart the original Umbrella owners from taking over the world because they were in fact aliens from another planet. I jest, but well you said it yourself when you say do they want to keep developing Wesker and all this with crazy changes.... the story doesn't have any meaning anymore and even the inclusive story in RE4 just didn't cut it.... RE5 may have more ties to the series in the end, but the question now does anyone still care after everything they've done?

It's tough.... I think the damage to the story is done now and we can't go back.... I wish we could in some respects but I also still agree you cant stagnate on being the same thing every year with little changes... so moving the title forward is okay as well... but someone needs to realize that the title needs to strike a balance of horror and it's current gameplay... RE5 at this stage is not looking like it.
      Last edited by Rombie; 05-23-2008, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Resident Evil Outbreak was great! It was also a change to the classic gameplay, but not changing it too much, adding no-weapon-hitting, and the co-op was fun online! (The only downside being offline, though, it is fun watching them die)
        I agree they could've added more to Outbreak File #2 apart from a new call button and extra items.

Comment

@ Dot

Yes, a long post :p

Perhaps I should explain how big of a fan I am of the old series. I don't have a library for the sake of keeping a collection, but I bought multiple versions and OST's because I played and listened to them.

Having recently archived the saves,I didn't realize I had actually played through the JPN version of RE3 27 times until mid 2000 (So it's 40X+ with all versions released later). That's the only game that actually has a counter, and I know I've played more of RE2 and 3. I did manually count Zero runs, and I stopped at 22.

Sounds like a lot of time wasted, but they served as the only entertainment in some months alongside Tekken (in the arcades anyway). Add speed runs too, which I did religiously back then. So yeah, I love the old series to bit, and even enjoyed Outbreak. RE4 was a shocker, but it was such a well done game by itself, though lacked challenge (thanks to abundant ammo and weapon upgrades). Add online, dodging and a cover system and it's another matter. Especially with more open areas.

I liked the pacing and gameplay of the old series. I loved exploring areas and solving puzzles; especially with the given atmosphere. I even loved conserving ammo while being careful with certain enemies (going back to hunters in Arrange mode as a great example). You can even make a game by running past enemies and it was satisfying. The new formula is much simpler and focuses on shooting action. I don't like shooters, be it first or third person. Action games like NG and DMC are another matter, and I prefer both over RE4.

Capcom is a business, and Mikami did the right thing by remaking the formula to keep the series going. Problem is just that. They're notorious for milking franchises to death and did just that with RE; RE4 wasn't even the 4th in the series. They could've had a proper ending to the series and started a new franchise in 2005 with the current formula. I'm not dillusional to think that they'll EVER go back to the series' roots, but given my old series love affair if you will, you can see why I blew up when I heard "online and cover system". Businesses don't care about customers as long as they get a lot more of them to replace them.

What's particularly funny is RE4's numerous versions and delays. Kamiya's original version was rejected by Mikami (he was the executive producer while Kobayashi produced). Why? It leaned more towards action and it was a heavy departure from the series' norm with shooter action feel. Enemy designs were criticized too though incidentally, marionettes did throw blades at you and some had guns. So it's ironic that the man who rejected that formula fell back on it to rejuvenate the series.

Who knows, if they add more shooter elements, they might replicate the commercial success they had with the original PS1 games.
          Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 05-23-2008, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Aye, Rombie it wasn't directed at you Good post though, I agree in a way. The story retcon in UC was kinda bad. But overall I dont think its beyond help. Certainly the "matrix" moves the people are pulling off now are a bit stupid, like the laser room in UC and such. But I see UC as more of a side-story. I wouldn't take what happened in that (most of it) literally.

Thats interesting Umon. I never knew you played the games that much. Far more than me

You guys are making me want another classic game now. Something I hoped they would do with UC. Turn that into the classic mode games to tie up some loose ends and then leave the numbered sequels to the new style.
            Last edited by Dot50Cal; 05-23-2008, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Each to his own i guess. Don't get me wrong, i'm excited to have the story continue, i'd just rather have a classic horror RE rather than this new direction. And just the fact it seems to be a complete rehash of RE4 in terms of gameplay just doesn't bode well with me.

Comment

I could live with online play, but only if it was limited to a side story or Mercenaries. With a two-player main story and a game based on action, this is starting to sound like Capcoms version of Halo, and I don't like that at all. One of the things I always liked about RE was the fact that it stood out from first person shooters and other similar games. I'm hoping that they pull a 1.5-esque turn around with development for this one, because I promised myself I wouldn't buy a 360 just for Halo. Or a Halo clone.

Comment

Jesus Christ.

So now the game is a Halo clone?

People are DESPERATE to just take shots for the sake of it on this one aren't they!

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis556 View Post
                    I think it's generally foolish to bitch and moan about how crap the new Resident Evil looks. The series had to progress to garner more sales, the system was getting stale. I mean, how well did the Outbreak series sell, relative to Resident Evil 4? REmake? Zero? They didn't do too well compared to the new formula.

I'm interested to see how SH Homecoming goes, to tell us if the old school survival horror format (though Homecoming does push it) still shifts units.

I'm all for change. Bring on RE5! =)
                    Outbreak didnt do poorly just because of the series getting stale, it did poorly to reflect the game's content

Really, my biggest disappointment is still the lack of closure. Ill admit I havent gotten around to playing REUC yet,but I just feel like theres so much more left in Raccoon City or Umbrella, and I feel like it was just cut short. I could deal with the action since, at this point, I feel like its a bit harder to scare me then it was 10 years ago, but just give me REAL closure. Give me ONE great game that wraps everything up correctly, then you can get back to your volcano.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Stu View Post
                      Jesus Christ.
                      Big Stu, remember, Luke 12:10 says:
                      Everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but those who blaspheme against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Stu View Post
                        Jesus Christ.

So now the game is a Halo clone?

People are DESPERATE to just take shots for the sake of it on this one aren't they!
                        Third-person Halo Clone with different enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunglasses View Post
                          Big Stu, remember, Luke 12:10 says:
                          Well Big Stu says:

Faaaaaantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Borman View Post
                            Outbreak didnt do poorly just because of the series getting stale, it did poorly to reflect the game's content
                            What killed it for the mainstream are two things: Lack of online communication and the dreaded loading times. If it weren't for IM's online, I wouldn't have played it online. Good times though.. some of the boss fights had to be fought co-operatively.

The gameplay formula was touched up and the introduction of melee weapons and abilities (without making any character broken) was well done. The gameplay alone was as far as the traditional formula can be pushed (even had swimming in it).

It did well enough to get the Greatest Hits line in NA and Japan (Best). File 2 on the other hand tanked all around.

Comment

@Big Stu
                              Forgive my bad "humor", but I think you use "Jesus Chris!" excessively.
                              Please accept my present:
                              With love from Sunglasses At Night

Comment

XD That was hilarious! I kind of saw the last part coming, but it still made my chest hurt with laughing!

Comment

Working...
                                X