No announcement yet.

RE5 Screens, Info Leaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re 5 looks great but like an action game,and the thing tha i hate the most about it is that if the story sucks i still going to play it becase it has the resident evil name in it,but hope they not screw with this game,but if the story suck really bad then i think twice before buying another re game,i buy it for the horror,storyline and a good gameplay but in the end only the gameplay is good just like in re 4,of course i cant have sure about it until i play it but it seems that ater mikami leave capcom re games become shooters.
    Last edited by ZERO; 05-23-2008, 09:02 PM.

Comment

In response to John, mostly. It's somewhat a question of personal taste in ideas, specifics, interests, and expectations.

I won't argue, like many others would agree about, that what they did definitely pushed the name Biohazard/Resident Evil in such a way that it kept it alive and sold amazingly well. And I've never disagreed that the game was fun to play, at least once or twice through.

But first off, in the manner of interests, stepping outside the world of a zombie story in Biohazard made me lose a lot of interest. As a huge fan of Romero's original trilogy as my favorite, having those movies be a basis off what the first Biohazards became was a big factor. I'm a fan of the slow, dumb zombies world.

So, I miss the zombies, because the old slow ones represent to me a more creepy, horror inducing image in my head. Trying to run down a tight corridor or being surrounded by them seems a bit more horrifying in my mind. Their slowness and dumbness keeps them from being that quick-immediate threat, giving your mind time to soak in the grotesque, rotten corpses that are slowly moving in on you. Sure they can be easier to handle if you are well armed/trained and in open spaces a bit easier to get away from, which is why they work best in the claustrophobic areas like in the originals which took place majority inside buildings. And personally, I find the more intelligent and fast "zombies" to be only dangerous, not so much scary in a horrifying way. I compare them more to humans, and they are becoming more human in the BH games. I just don't like that. I imagine with the new enemies in BH5 using motorbikes, I'm expecting to be shot at as well a few times, not to mention the ability to flank, surround, cut off, lock doors, ect. that may be traited to the new enemies. I just feel like it's no longer that cold, slow horror it used to be. Might as well be fighting regular humans with guns and intelligence in some other game or FPS. And yes, being shot at and fast-paced running, intelligence zombies, ect. are scary in their own way, but not the way I like.

And finally, I feel similar to how Rombie feels in the story department. The first game was a damn fine horror, survival, mysterious game that wasn't so much about any grand story. It was a pharmaceutical company that had labs in an old mansion in a small town and things went wrong. It had such a simpleness to it. Then it just stretched too far and Capcom could never handle the story properly. Ironic since they cancelled 1.5 because the story wouldn't deliver sequals well, or at least that's one reason. Why they didn't come up with a concrete blueprint for a well-conceived story at that point since they planned on milking the series anyway is beyond me. If they had made a good resolution to the original story and made a new story or game, I think it would have been great.

When it gets to the point where I feel like I'm dealing with a business, it can easily become no fun anymore. Capcom milking the name and stretching the story to the point there's been no real coherency and dramatic changes had to be made to keep interests and make new ones is a bad plan. Biohazard should never have been more than 3 games, if that, just in my personal opinion. I'm a fan of quitting while you're ahead, or too much good thing turns bad.

I also don't like it when people berate us for feeling this way about the new games. I've never insulted anyone for liking RE4 or feeling it's a great RE named game, although I have argued my disagreement of issues. To be called noobs or snubbed for our complaints, when I have mostly seen very little to warrant it is pretty wrong. It's sad to see when people like me bring up our issues with -the game(s) in question-, the retorts are issues with -the complainers-. It's just so rude. Obviously I'm sure there are rude and just as wrong comments made by people on our side of the camp sometimes, but in the majority of places I've seen the arguments, it's always the people who are fine with RE4 and the new direction that seem to be rude to those who aren't. Is it the current tean-generation thing/way to be? Cause I seem to see that most of the mid-20s or older who bought RE1/2 on release date and grew up with the originals(with exceptions of course) are the ones unhappiest with the new direction and mostly the teans or new fans who recently discovered the series are the ones cool with it. I mean no disrespect to anyone, btw.

Basically I think it's just a matter of personal tastes in interest and expectations. You can't expect everyone to like or accept a change. And being a fan doesn't make anyone obligated to go either way on the decision. Nor does their decision make them any more or less a fan.

Let's all just be cool and find obtain 1.5 somehow. That would be quite appeasing!
      sigpic

Comment

A volcano releasing a virus is not silly --

A virus is not a living organism. They can be frozen in ice for hundreds of years then be defrosted and infect someone. Perhaps the volcano melted its ice cap and released the virus via precipitation. Not very likely, but not impossible.

Actually, I just talked to my friend and learned that there's a movie comimg out this year with a similiar premise; a frozen mammoth is found and in a melting glacier -- but, it contains an prehistoric parasite that infects the people who find it and they begin to turn on each other. Seems like it rips-off The Thing. It's called 'The Thaw'. Here's its poster, familiar, huh?
        Last edited by U and S; 05-23-2008, 09:40 PM.

Comment

1up's writeup of the current information overload.

Comment

Hello Everyone

Long time reader, first time poster. I wanted to add my thoughts on this topic.

The problem with 4 was that it was a straight path, from start to end. You always knew where you were going.

There was no exploring, running from area to area, back and forth between rooms exhausting ever possibility before finding that key, or solving that puzzle. Everything was always right in front of you or slightly off, always looping back to where you needed to go to proceed.

But don't get me wrong, I did like Resident Evil 4 and I'll buy Resident Evil 5 as soon as it comes out. I'm just disappointed at how the series has changed so much to be like everything else.
            Last edited by Mysidia; 05-24-2008, 01:15 AM.

Comment

My biggest issue is simple...all of the Resident Evil games have been scary. Outbreak creeped me out. I was nervous to open the door in Zero. I was horrified in 2 to find I had to back track and get a new key.

RE4 isn't scary. It doesn't have puzzles. It doesn't have exploration. Changing the format to keep the series alive? Great. I love the new combat style. Did that really mean they had to cut out all the bits that made RE great? Nope, and the 3.5 videos show that.

Resident Evil 1 was a frigthening game with with puzzles, mystery and horror and clunky ass control scheme. Resident Evil 4 had great action...and no horror, puzzles or mystery.

If RE5 actually combines the two then it will be the finest RE game yet...but it's looking like they're ripping the characters and enemies right out of RE4 and that doesn't bode well for me.

Comment

all of the Resident Evil games have been scary
                RE4 isn't scary
                Eh?

Comment

Originally posted by U and S View Post
                  A volcano releasing a virus is not silly --

A virus is not a living organism. They can be frozen in ice for hundreds of years then be defrosted and infect someone. Perhaps the volcano melted its ice cap and released the virus via precipitation. Not very likely, but not impossible.

Actually, I just talked to my friend and learned that there's a movie comimg out this year with a similiar premise; a frozen mammoth is found and in a melting glacier -- but, it contains an prehistoric parasite that infects the people who find it and they begin to turn on each other. Seems like it rips-off The Thing. It's called 'The Thaw'. Here's its poster, familiar, huh?
                  A virus may be under discussion over whether it is truly living or not, but it is certainly still composed of organic compounds. These compounds will deteriorate under extreme conditions, like say a volcano. Have a prehistoric parasite live through defrosting is just laughably dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Krispy View Post
                    These compounds will deteriorate under extreme conditions, like say a volcano.
                    LOGIC FAILURE.

Different compounds respond in different ways to different extremities. Where one such compound could be destroyed by said condition, an entirely seperate compound could thrive under it.

Comment

There are creatures, called extremeophiles, that can survive in such tempreatures. A virus couldn't, though. If I remember correctly the enzymes of a virus will be warped out of shape by extreme tempreature conditions, and they no longer function.

Comment

i'm a little -a lot- worried about the game ...
                        Resident Evil is a part of me , and i don't like it to be like "what have you done with me ? where is my Resident Evil?"
                        RE4 was a great game , and RE5 will be a great game , the question is , will it be a good Resident Evil too ? can they bring the lost horror of Resident Evil back ? ( i was going to write honor ) RE was a game , known with it's horror elements ... and now it's gone ... who is scared of a infected biker ? or some human-like intelligent creatures ? they even don't look like a monster ! ... i still hope they can make horror out of this one , we had horror movies that went through sun ... and they were scary though.
                        i liked other Takeuchi's game , they were like Modern yet Classic games.
                        i really liked the RE4 gameplay , the action was awesome , the over shoulder mechanism rocked but ... i missed all the old good horror !
                        and i can just wait for the new trailer too see the game in real-time gameplay , we can judge about how is the game after that

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                          There are creatures, called extremeophiles, that can survive in such tempreatures. A virus couldn't, though. If I remember correctly the enzymes of a virus will be warped out of shape by extreme tempreature conditions, and they no longer function.
                          But viruses don't have enzymes. A virus is just a protein shell with a nucleic acid inside (RNA or single strand DNA or double strand DNA). However the protein casing can warp into an unusable form, just like any other protein molecule. It depends on what organism the virus parasitises. If it's an organism that lives in hot places, then the virus will have co-evolved to tollerate the high temperatues, and have thermally stable proteins too.

THAT SAID: All molecules are subject to the laws of physics. And so extreme temperatures (such as those found inside a volcano) will destory the information stored in organic molecules. And as such, this is why you don't see bacterias or other organisms living inside of a volcano. 80 degrees celcius seems to be the cut off point (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroth...al_communities)
                          (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermus_aquaticus)
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SinValentine View Post
                            ... but maybe it's just becoming harder to scare us because we're all getting older? the old techniques will become mundane after awhile, so they had to spice it up somehow..
                            Ding ding ding

We Have a winner!!!!!

Pliiiiiiis

i hear the same thing since the comeout of RE4

"Its not scary", "its not survival horror", "its not dark"

pfffffffffffffffffff

Its evolution Baby

You say: RE4 and 5 have the same scenario

i say: RE1 2 3 and CV have the same escenarios (a girl,a guy, a traitor , etc etc), Why you dont complain abut this?

You say:there is no puzzles

I say: not the whole world was built by George Trevor

You say:RE4 Its not SH because it not dark

I say:no one of the RE games is dark, the only that i can say is dark is the remake and its not like "WTF i can´t see anything". RE IS NOT Silent hill

you say: RE about normal guys in the wrong place and now are action heroes

I say: more than 10 years have passed, they survive more than an outbreak and know that it is capable people like weskern... but you are right it's better if the characters not be prepared and pretend surprise and fear in this kind of situation, despite what lived since before....

you say: if a players of 2002 that goes in the future and sees RE4/5 will recognise the saga?

I say: and you think if he see the exactly same thing that in his time it would make him happy?

you say: Its a shooter because you shoot a lot

i say: yeah shoot against a dead dude who can barely walk and an alive thinking man reinforced by a parasite its the same thing...

you say: RE is about strategy and be afraid of what's behind the door

I say: Strategy? maybe the 2 or 3 first time you play... when you dont know the amount of ammo per enemy and once you have the shotgun all things are much more simple(especially against zombies). Afraid of what's behind the door? again maybe the 2 or 3 first time you play, the amount of enemies in each room barely changes in every game. Like in RE4...

Scary you say? i fell the despair when nemesis chaseme an when the doc salvador screem at my back "detras de ti idiota!" while I'm reloading my gun.
                            If you do not feel fear, does not mean that the game is not scary.

like i say before its evolution baby

For the record I love every game of RE with their pros and cons and i dont wanna be a asshole(or sound like one) o something like that but i dont like when there is senseless complaints like "is not a god game/a survival horror/a Resident evil because i say it"
                            Last edited by LeigiBoy; 05-24-2008, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Oh my god LeigiBoy, Bravo! Hahaha.

Comment

I didn't say it would pop-out of a volcano, neither does the information from the preview. It says volcanic activity releases it. And viruses HAVE been know to survive being frozen and all I added was that volcanic activity could melt its ice cap and release the virus. Doesn't need to go through lava heat.

Anyway, there's prehistoric viruses infused in our DNA. Viruses are thought to be the originators of the ability for self replicating DNA. What's more cool, there's chunks of data in our DNA from other prehistoric creatures we evolved from.

--- Also, the new gameplay RE4 style doesn't mean the game can't be old school scary. It's just that RE4 had really unscary, crappy monsters -- especially the ganados. RE series prior perspective had enemies appear off screen a lot and you could only hear them coming, which was scary. But RE5 could replicate that by having more enemies creep up on you from behind, which is a blind spot for the camera system of RE4/RE5. Ad to that some more horrific enemy design, then it could be much scarier than RE4.
                                Last edited by U and S; 05-24-2008, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X