Degeneration gets reviewed, more RE5 TGS coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degeneration gets reviewed, more RE5 TGS coverage

Wired's Chris Kohler happened to be one of the attendee's at the TGS showing of Biohazard Degeneration and he has posted his review. The review itself is pretty negative calling the movie a boring puppet show and claiming that it was visually inferior compared to Resident evil 5.

The final verdict was a 3/10. Read the full review here.

Also, not a "review" but in this week's 1upyours podcast, Garnet Lee talks a lot about Degeneration and how he loved it and claimed it clears up a lot of the plot confusion and is a must see for all RE fans.

Game Trailers have put up new gameplay footage (off-camera) from the caves area of Resident Evil 5. Check it out here. Another co-op video which looks like the split screen being live demoed can be seen here.

Joystiq have an article up where they run through the "Gears" control scheme of the game along with a handy image of the new control scheme on the 360 controller. Check it out here. A similar image for the PS3 version can be seen here.

Finally, in this week's 1up yours podcast they talk about the game's co-op gameplay and its controls a bit. Listen to it here.

Thanks to Archelon, The Dude and Sunglasses for the heads up.
    Last edited by A-J; 10-11-2008, 07:40 AM.

Kohler: I suppose it does do that -- the plot of the film leads directly to Resident Evil 5,
    well there's the prime reason to watch Degeneration right there ..

edit : post added with some more tidbits.

garnet lee's 1upyours degeneration review is pretty enthusiastic.
    Last edited by A-J; 10-11-2008, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Is the review spoiler free?.

Comment

yeah, its spoiler free.

Comment

The new footage looks ok. Those spiders look to be almost as annoying as Half Life's headcrabs though, and i don't like Sheva's ghosting onto the screen one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by A-J View Post
            yeah, its spoiler free.
            thanks

Comment

This Kohler sounds like an ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Colvin View Post
                Based on what?

They're just as entitled to their opinions as anyone else. Just because they're not "die hard fans" of the games should be enough just to tell us that they think as a film in it's own right, it sucks hard, and that the only saving gr.ace (mega lolz at that word being banned!) for the film will be that we have to like the game first.

Personally, that's not the way i'd want people to receive Degeneration.

What was stopping Sony and Capcom working on a great film by itself whilst keeping in enough game references to keep us happy? And to be fair, the points the reviewers make about the animation are spot on (and like me and Rod said), they don't look any better than what we'd seen in the latest RE5 trailers.

Consider my buzz dampened somewhat.

Still, i'd download it the moment it appears online, i just think i'll wait til the missus is out of the house, not so keen on putting her through an hour and a half of Resident Evil fan service.
                Last edited by Stu; 10-11-2008, 07:33 AM.

Comment

They appear again Brain Demos!

They've the same characteristics and attacks.

Comment

I must admit a certain disappointment that it fails to be a decent movie in it's own right and really only serves as a prequel to RE5. Although I wonder if it will be included as a bonus in any PS3 bundles now...

Still, there must be somewhere between Degeneration and the movie series, where the movie stays true to the game without super powered fanfic characters flashing there assets at every opportunity.

Comment

I thought Takeuchi said this was separate from Resident Evil 5?

Comment

I thought he said it would lead into RE5 some way or another? Back on the Famitsu DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by Colvin View Post
                          agreed

however there is a second gameplay video showing co-op slit screen in the caves
                          IGN’s home for the latest game trailers, including new gameplay, cinematics, announcements, and reveals. Subscribe to stay up to date and get notified when new trailers arrive, that includes during events like Nintendo Directs, Sony State of Plays, E3, The Game Awards, Gamescom, and more. Check out our playlists for trailers coming to your preferred gaming platforms like PC, Nintendo Switch, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X. For more content, visit IGN.com or check out our other channels: IGN - https://www.youtube.com/IGN IGN Games - https://www.youtube.com/IGNGames IGN Guides - https://www.youtube.com/c/IGNGuides IGN VR - https://www.youtube.com/IGNVR IGN Movie Trailers - https://www.youtube.com/IGNMovieTrailers This is only a small taste of the videos and content available from IGN. Get more, visit http://www.ign.com

Comment

I'm not surprised by the review, the film seems to fan service of the highest calibre, and will be panned in the same way the Silent Hill film was by film critics.

game fans however liked the film for its realistic adaption.

On the gamespot forums i believe there has been translations concerning the little girl.
                            Rani i think her name is, of Indian descent,

we'll find out more with the podcast

Comment

Originally posted by Neptune View Post
                              game fans however liked the film for its realistic adaption.
                              Not the fans on the Silent Hill site i'm a member of, they think the film's a disgrace.

Comment

Working...
                              X