No announcement yet.

Mikami "I Probably Won't Play Biohazard 5"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Although as much as I hate to say this... Mikami not playing RE5... Actually means that he and I have something in common...

Comment

• There's a difference, though. He won't play something that he created himself. He won't play RE5 because it would be the same as If he played it... just... he knows that the money that RE5 will make won't go to him... BRAVO!!

Comment

• Oh, okay... As opposed to the fact that I won't play it because I believe the series is something very... DMC these days.

Comment

• Well, that's because one of the early betas of RE4 ended up being what we all nowadays know as DMC. I'm not suprised.

Comment

• Yup. RE4 was doomed from the beginning.

Comment

• Why would Mikami feel the need to say this? Why does the series need to reinvent itself again...unless the RE4 system was flawed to begin with? And wouldn't that be his fault?

Or, is he just pissed that RE5 is building upon his framework and actually improving (and thus, showcasing) the flaws of RE4?

So what if RE5 is using a lot of the stuff he brought to the series? It's not like he's Mr. Originality, having stolen a LOT from Metal Gear and The Matrix (namely Ada and NeoL).

EDIT: This thread really was slumming for the first few pages...who the hell was that "Forensic-Klown" whackjob? Was that beasley?
              Last edited by Jill's Boob; 11-29-2008, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gradon View Post
                lolwat?
                Shinji never said hes a mastermind, or that the others are amateur idiots.
                Stop making up useless rumours that make no sense.
                All he said was that he wouldnt play it? Wow? How is that saying:
                "Im liek teh best game makerz ever and liek capcom nowz sucks for liek ruining my seriess liek!"
                My fucking God.
                (Excuse my attitude, not a nice day)
                You and me probably read different articles, because thats the only way you could have messed up that bad.

Next time, be so kind and open the link provided you by the OP.

Quote, Mikami.

"I probably won't play it. I won't like it, because it's not going to be the game I would have made,"
                Before you think about a rebuttal including an excuse for Mikami for him just liking RE5 to be different, drop it. Hes specifically talking about how the game will be t3h suckage.

"If I see anything in Resident Evil 5 that isn't done well, I'll be angry!"
                And finally,
                "ME ME ME ME ME ME ME and MY projects"

Mikami is a classic arsehole, stop defending him. Now, if you had a bad day, get some Scotch, a cigar and a hot footbath.

Comment

• I have to give Mikami some respect for what he has made, but he's just being a bit crazy here. I get what he's saying but it comes off a bit pretentious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Member_of_STARS View Post
                    Before you think about a rebuttal including an excuse for Mikami for him just liking RE5 to be different, drop it. Hes specifically talking about how the game will be t3h suckage.
                    I still don't see anything about "I am teh masta and every1 else sux". People are over interpreting his words :/

He didn't say the game will be bad, he hates it or anything like that - just that he doesn't want to play it, because during the gameplay every now and then he would think that he would do this and this differently, that doesn't suit him etc. And you can't really blame the guy - he used to work on these games and now he can only see how someone else is continuing what he started. And I think that's the case with every creator.
                    You think Kojima could, for example, play a MGS game (that uses characters and universe created by him) that was created without him? I doubt it.
                    Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 11-29-2008, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• Youre comparing Da Vinci with my painting skills. Kojima and Mikami arent even close to being in the same league.

The article reflects an attitude of a man who thinks he created something amazing and that the moment someone else takes the project away, they drive it into ground. Its as if he firmly believes that the financial success his titles have been grant him the sole right to succeed at making REs. And that his greatest success was RE4. He is wrong on all accounts. Its not an accident that RE games are compared to B category Hollywood horror flicks. He was too busy running the series stale for 9 years, so that, when RE4 "recreated" the series (anothe term for just changing the series into something else as the last, desperate resort) he was actually proud of himself.

Sure I dont have much confidence in RE5 staff, but honestly, can you actually do worse than RE4 with the biggest budget there ever was in the series so far?

Hardly possible.

Comment

• Wow. Now all the "veterans" have a mascot to look up to.

"HE WON'T PLAY RE5 JUST LIKE ME! OMFG I LUV U MIKAMI"

Comment

Kojima and Mikami arent even close to being in the same league.
                          Well, Kojima is good at storytelling, Mikami is good at gameplay.

I'm not comparing them, I'm just saying that both of them created something and it would be hard for both of them to play/watch something that someone else created and what once they were creating.

The article reflects an attitude of a man who thinks he created something amazing and that the moment someone else takes the project away, they drive it into ground.
                          No it doesn't. It reflects an attitude of a man who created a series and now someone else takes it over. He doesn't have control over it anymore, he can't include his own ideas etc.
                          Like I've said, where did he tell that no one else can make a good RE game? He just have said that he will be angry if they screw something.

And that his greatest success was RE4.
                          And wasn't it? The game won lots of awards and are acclaimed to be one of greatest (if not the best) game of the last generation.

Its not an accident that RE games are compared to B category Hollywood horror flicks.
                          Because the story in RE games is of B-horror flick type. But that has nothing to do with gameplay. As I remember in one of early interviews about RE1 Mikami even confessed that he wanted no story in RE1 - but the management insisted to include one. That shows what kind of gamer Mikami is - he is not interested in the story (and thus this element sucked in RE4), he's all about gameplay (and this element is all what RE4 is praised for).
                          Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 11-29-2008, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Youre comparing Da Vinci with my painting skills. Kojima and Mikami arent even close to being in the same league.
                            Are you trying to say Kojima is some sort of video game dude who only creates masterpieces?

Jesus Christ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr_Zombie View Post
                              Well, Kojima is good at storytelling, Mikami is good at gameplay.
                              If by "good" you mean using the exact same gameplay for 10 years, then yeah, you might consider him "good". Especially since, under his own supervision, CVX was a downgrade from RE3 in terms of gameplay. Meanwhile Kojima has significantly improved MGS franchise from MGS to MGS4 while indeed keeping the basics, but all the while improving it with technological advancements.

You may not know this, but RE so called "tank controls" have always been universally hated by almost all groups excluding RE fans. And while as fun as RE4 may be, its ONLY fun aspect was shooting ... erm... people. And it wasnt even a revolutionizing concept in the first place. 3rd person shooters are a dime a dozen, over the shoulder shooting was utilized in Cold Fear and far better. Pretty much everything else that you would consider "gameplay" in RE4 was behind its time. The horribly impotent AI, simple bosses, abundance of ammunition. As a package, it was lacking.

Why it fared so well? Comparison to older Resident Evil titles with, what has not become a niche, stagnated gameplay and lack of proper competition.

I'm not comparing them, I'm just saying that both of them created something and it would be hard for both of them to play/watch something that someone else created and what once they were creating.
                              Mikami hasnt created anything that he would be able to call his own invention. In fact, if you look at 9 years of "old skool" RE development, he didnt improve anything, anywhere. Saying the things he did is a testament to arrogance, nothing more. Whereas Kojima would be genuinely frightened that what he has created, can be underused and ran into ground, theres little to no thing one can FUBAR after RE4, because all you have to do is create a semi-coherent story on an already proven gameplay.

No it doesn't. It reflects an attitude of a man who created a series and now someone else takes it over. He doesn't have control over it anymore, he can't include his own ideas etc.
                              You speak of the series as if theres something to mess up. Remember, all bets are off. Theres no expectations, whoever takes RE5 is expected to deliver a Ganado/Zombie shooter. Check the previews and articles by major gaming sites, noone is talking about the story bar mentioning "Chris Redfield and his hot new partner Sheva". Hes not losing anything. In fact, his stagnated and lacking creative brake is released. The terrible thing about this is that it seems as if CAPCOM is hard pressed to let go and thus youll have the next 5 years of the same stagnating series. Wasnt it Eurogamer (correct me) that already pointed it out that RE5 isnt delivering anything new to the table.

So where do we end up? We end up with a guy who couldnt improve on himself for all these years, moaning about his ex partners not being able (management reasons, I bet) to keep the series self-evolving. Ironic, dont you think?

Like I've said, where did he tell that no one else can make a good RE game? He just have said that he will be angry if they screw something.
                              The article reeks of it. I was just trying to be semi-comedic. A hypocritical fear of his colleagues not being able to do better than he did (while he did poorly) is funny and it shows arrogance. Not lack of faith, not genuine concern but arrogance.

And wasn't it? The game won lots of awards and are acclaimed to be one of greatest (if not the best) game of the last generation.
                              No. Take it this way. One of the greatest series of our times, Half Life. What did it do to revolutionize the videogame industry? Nothing. Absolutely nothing new. Even Source engines physics werent particulaly "new", considering a lot of games were moving in that direction. But how come it reaped so many award, got so many fans and is definitely one of the pinnacles of what we can remember of our gaming times? It took everything there was great in videogames at the time, fit it perfectly together and polished it to a shining mirror. Thats something very few have been able to do... hell, if any.

So how come RE4 took its awards? It took the concept of FUN and gave the masses what they needed. A shooter with mechanics one would love to use. The only time you see the term "revolutionise" being used, is when its compared to older REs.

Because the story in RE games is of B-horror flick type. But that has nothing to do with gameplay.
                              Is this the reason why the common denominator for RE audience has significantly gone down during the past 4 years?

As I remember in one of early interviews about RE1 Mikami even confessed that he wanted no story in RE1 - but the management insisted to include one.
                              Thank god for the management, then. Mikami seemed as if he was living in the 80s.

That shows what kind of gamer Mikami is - he is not interested in the story (and thus this element sucked in RE4), he's all about gameplay (and this element is all what RE4 is praised for).
                              Seems like an excuse or a copout. The ironic thing is that worlds most known multiplayer shooters which rely 100% on gameplay get less praise.

Originally posted by Jill's Boob View Post
                              Are you trying to say Kojima is some sort of video game dude who only creates masterpieces?

Jesus Christ...
                              Only if you dont know anything about DaVinci. The guy spent years just to paint Mona Lisas lips and some of his designs are horrible. You dont have to like Kojima, but after he proved himself and got the funding and creative freedom he needed, hes been churning out nothing but gold, and Konami knows this.
                              Last edited by Member_of_STARS; 11-29-2008, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• In my opinion Mikami did well just like Kojima if we consider at that time
                                Konami was more rich than Capcom, and you can be the biggest genius in the world but without a lot of money from the company you can't do a masterpiece... Kojima usually spent 2 or 3 times of money Mikami spent for his game when he was in Capcom.

Comment

Working...
                                X