IGN Reviews Resident Evil 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGN Reviews Resident Evil 5

IGN have put up their Resident Evil 5 review, including the video review. They gave the game a 9.0 out of 10.

With Resident Evil 5, Capcom has broken away from many of the survival horror conventions it pioneered. The creepy suspense of the earlier games has been replaced with an action-packed intensity that will instantly appeal to some gamers and disappoint others. As an action game, RE5 is a success, and there’s a wealth of replayability through item collection, weapon upgrades, score chasing and the unlockable Mercenaries mode. But this is no gentle nudge to the formula of the previous main RE games; it’s an evolution. And if you can accept it as that, you just might love Resident Evil 5.
    The full review can be read here.

IGN Resident Evil 5 Review / Video Review thanks to revil5.

Did they not play RE4 or did they just forget about it altogether? Their argument is that RE5 is such a departure from the rest of the series, when really, it's basically the same ish as RE4. RE4 was a departure from the series and RE5 is an extension of RE4. When they say that "[w]ith Resident Evil 5, Capcom has broken away from many of the survival horror conventions it pioneered," it just doesn't make sense.

"But this is no gentle nudge to the formula of the previous main RE games; it’s an evolution." Um, no, RE4 was the revolution, RE5 was the evolution. RE5 took what RE4 did and added in co-op.
    Last edited by Vector; 03-07-2009, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
      Did they not play RE4 or did they just forget about it altogether? Their argument is that it's such a departure from the rest of the series, when really, it's basically the same ish as RE4. RE4 was a departure from the series and RE5 is an extension of RE4. When they say that "[w]ith Resident Evil 5, Capcom has broken away from many of the survival horror conventions it pioneered," it just doesn't make sense.

"But this is no gentle nudge to the formula of the previous main RE games; it’s an evolution." Um, no, RE4 was the revolution. RE5 took what RE4 did and added in co-op.
      Exactly what i was thinking, they rate Re4 so high and valiant, and praise it for all its worth, and then its as if they forgto Re4 was nothing like the classics, and place the blame on Re5. Yorue missing the point IGN, Re4 was the departure and the revolution, Re 5 was the continuation and the evolution, they have it backwards ..this review therefore seems wrogn and out of place too me, despite the high score

Comment

ZOMG IGN MENTIONED MERCENARIES

Comment

Well I'm glad IGN let us know that once you beat the game, you can play through the game single player offline as Sheva. Which makes me pretty damn happy.

Comment

Good review but I don't understand why reviews are criticizing RE for departuring from the series now. That departure happened back in 2005.
            sigpic

Comment

Exactly. They use it as a criticism, when it is a very hypocritical thing in all honesty. We were used to this "change" back when RE4 was released.

Comment

To be honest, having played the game A LOT in the last few days, RE5 is actually much closer to classic RE than 4 was. It's not like them, don't get me wrong, but it certainly has some x-factors that make it at least resemble the older games. RE4 was completely out in left field.

Comment

Originally posted by aris13 View Post
                  Good review but I don't understand why reviews are criticizing RE for departuring from the series now. That departure happened back in 2005.
                  Because game reviewers are retarded. When they have nothing to bitch about, they start bitching about the obvious.

Comment

Ya, I don't understand why they are complaining about the changed now, that happened 4 years ago.
                    Last edited by Mr. Kennedy; 03-07-2009, 01:57 PM.

Comment

They need something to fill a few pages. How about bitching?

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
                        ZOMG IGN MENTIONED MERCENARIES
                        how can we ban ign?

anywho, I can't wait another week this must come out nowww

Comment

Working...
                        X