Resident Evil 2 Remake, 3 Remake and 7 Next-Gen Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil 2 Remake, 3 Remake and 7 Next-Gen Updates

With today's release of the patches to add various things like Ray Tracing to the slightly older RE Engine games, I'd like to take a quick look at some of the primary differences on the PC version of RE2 Remake.

Original vs. Next-Gen Update

Click image for larger version  Name:	re2r-claire-laboratory01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	902.9 KB ID:	447930 Click image for larger version  Name:	re2r-claire-laboratory02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	930.1 KB ID:	447929
    Click image for larger version  Name:	re2r-claire-library01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	447931Click image for larger version  Name:	re2r-claire-library02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	447932
    Click image for larger version  Name:	re2r-claire-chiefsoffice01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	821.0 KB ID:	447933Click image for larger version  Name:	re2r-claire-chiefsoffice02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	810.3 KB ID:	447934
    Click image for larger version  Name:	re2r-leon-mainhall01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	447938Click image for larger version  Name:	re2r-leon-mainhall02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	447935
    Click image for larger version  Name:	re2r-leon-helocoptercrash01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	835.7 KB ID:	447937Click image for larger version  Name:	re2r-leon-helocoptercrash02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	875.9 KB ID:	447936

The biggest difference is in the reflections in the new version. While the old version used Screen Space Reflections (SSR) and various cubemaps, they both have a lot of drawbacks. Note the overly bright reflections, grain, fringing on the edges, and even occlusion issues. The new version uses ray traced reflections, which will render off-screen objects. They have dialed back the reflectivity (or roughness) of materials in the game for the ray traced version. This is very apparent in the labs, as most surfaces were extremely reflective in the original.

Below you can find an in-game render in Unreal Engine 5, using it's Lumen Global Illumination system, along with Lumen reflections and Nanite for geometry. This was ported over from the initial release of RE2 Remake into Unreal Engine 5, to see how proper ray traced lighting and reflections would look in a scene from the game.

Click image for larger version  Name:	UE5-Lumen-Nanite.jpg Views:	0 Size:	742.3 KB ID:	447939Click image for larger version  Name:	UE5-Lumen-Nanite02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	538.5 KB ID:	447940

Light settings and placement are definitely different in my Unreal versions of the environments, but the same settings were used as the original for item placement, reflectivity (roughness) and so on.

In the end, I think this is a huge jump in fidelity for the RE Engine games and a very welcome change.

In sad news, these updates have reportedly broken all the mods for these games.

...oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
      In sad news, these updates have reportedly broken all the mods for these games.

...oh well.
      I haven't checked but I would believe it. It appears Capcom did go back through and change the archive folders, from what I can tell significantly. I'm glad I have the old versions installed on one computer. The RE Modding forums will probably be all over it. People like Alphaz and MarioKart are masters at reverse engineering shit.

Comment

Working...
      X