Resident Evil 5 Scores Big Across the Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil 5 Scores Big Across the Board

Gamasutra recently compiled a list of the best selling games of the year across various consoles in the U.S and Resident Evil 5 was high on both the PS3 and 360 charts, in fact it's the highest selling game on the Xbox 360 this year so far, and the 2nd highest on the PS3 .

Resident Evil 5 Scores Big
    Last edited by A-J; 07-21-2009, 12:40 PM.

That is an incredibly frightening picture.

Comment

that's pretty impressive!

Comment

wouldn't be surprised if capcom announce RE6 any time now (and then keep on delaying it for the next 4 years atleast).

Comment

RE5 hasn't exactly had much in the way of competition, so it's to be expected that it's done relatively well.

And that's not a good thing, IMO, because it means we'll get more action games in the series if the reboot idea isn't followed through.
          A man chooses...a slave obeys.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMemories View Post
            And that's not a good thing, IMO, because it means we'll get more action games in the series if the reboot idea isn't followed through.
            There's nothing to say that the reboot wouldn't still be an action game, though.

Comment

True, Archelon. Still, even a chance at horror (or at least, what RE4 was IMO action horror) is better than nothing.

All the same, the sales do assure the series won't be dying any time soon. There's that much to be thankful for I suppose.
              A man chooses...a slave obeys.

Comment

If the next Resident Evil could be a lot more like Chapter 5-1 of RE5, then I have hope.

Comment

Those sales were already predicted for sure. Look at RE5's production's values. It's easily one of the most expensive games released in 2009.

Comment

^ Still doesn't take away from the fact that by comparison in general this year has been shite for sales across the board though. You can tell when only 2 non-1st party games have managed to sell more than 1 million on any single platform, and both of only just managed to have done it. There is even a huge gap between the 3rd and 4th on the Wii list, the first non-1st party title being EA's Sports title is 800,000 units less than Nintendo's own 3rd placer Mario Kart Wii title. This is all a change compared to last year.

Capcom did well with an hyped game by promoting it correctly and getting the sales. There are games that don't even appear on that list that were just as well backed and expensive (and often got just as good or better reviews than RE5) but just didn't get the sales RE5 has managed. Capcom did the hype thing right and regardless of if you liked RE5 more than 4 or even the earlier titles, seems to have pleased a lot of people. Nail in the coffin for returning the series in any way back to the old style... but I don't think they can rely upon the same system for the next main title in the series either. So I agree, I expect to hear an announcement around or not long after Darkside Chronicles is released for the next major title, regardless of if it takes a number of years to arrive.

I do note though on that... people are complaining about all these major games being pushed back to next year at this rate, but considering the costs of a failure you can see why... companies are wanting to spend the extra time and cash on presenting a tidy and completed product in the current financial climate, rather than racing it on out with problems and issues which will hurt it's chance to sell.
                    Last edited by Rombie; 07-21-2009, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Well capcom must be happy as they had two games in the top 5 and maybe this means they will get working on RE 6. Personally I would like for them to take their time and not rush another game out. I really think that thought has to be put in where they are going to go with the story as well as the question is Resident Evil an action game or a survival horror game?

Comment

As long as RE6 has more horror and brings back the zombies i'll be happy I also get the felling that RE6 will be announce soon.

Comment

That is great news. ♥

Comment

Working...
                          X