No announcement yet.

Extended Paul Anderson Interview & Unofficial RE5 PC Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you think about it Death Race is like Mario Kart....but with machine guns and missiles.
    sigpic

Comment

^ I'd say more like Twisted Metal than Mario Kart.

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
        Huh? What are you blabbling on about with this?
        I doubt that Death Race was made as a direct remake of Death Race 2000. The movie shares way too many similarities with Carmageddon and Twisted Metal. In fact, if DR2000 never existed, there wouldnt be a doubt that these two games were DR-s base.

And it failed at all of three tasks. Remaking DR2000, and bringing TM and Carmageddon on screen.

Comment

Ummm... it wasn't a direct remake, but it was a "remake" in the loose sense, mainly because the original concept of the film was the same as the original but set in 3000 from the original reports when it was being made. But was deemed too expensive and was scrapped.

The finished PWSA film was exec produced by Roger Corman, who produced and did a draft script on the original Death Race 2000, the character names are the same (Frankenstein and Machine Gun Joe specifically) and Anderson got Carradine to reprise his role as Frankenstein (at least in voice) in the opening part of the film. I think under Anderson's budget, there just wasn't the possiblity of a cross-US race done these days that would have been believable (the 70's version wasn't at the time it was released) even set in a more modern time, let alone the original DR3000 concept.

The car combat definitely stems into inspiration for both TM and Carmageddon, as the cars in the original DR2000 were fitted with weapons, defensive items, and the like... and even though Anderson is a game fan, his jump isn't a hard one, videogames or not based only on the original film without having to take games into account. I think it's simply expected action with cars with weapons these days. To be exact the original movie, which I've always been a huge fan of, has more in common with the aforementioned games than his version does. Mainly as it takes place in public with specific drivers who drive soley to win the race as the surviving driver open to all hazards and other drivers while killing people in the public. Anderson's version has none of that at all.

That said... I should borrow the BluRay off my friend who has it and see if there is any mention of any games in the making of materials though...
          Last edited by Rombie; 08-05-2009, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X