Silent Hill Movie Sequel Confirmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silent Hill Movie Sequel Confirmed

Roger Avary and Samuel Hadida of Davis Films have signed on for a sequel to the Silent Hill movie, which was released in 2006. To learn more, check out the link.

Hollywood Reporter

Obligatory?

Comment

I thought the first film was very well done and kept very close to the games, both in the feelings of playing it, and the story line. They even had the same music! I honestly believe that Silent Hill is the best video game to film adaption ever made, and am excited to see that a sequel is underway.

I really don't see how people don't like this movie. To me it just seems like they're complaining just for complaining's sake, because it has become en vogue to knock video game movies.

Comment

I agree that Silent Hill is the best game to movie adaptation, but that depresses me a bit. There were so many things that got butchered, although some did have a decent reason.

- Harry to Rose. This one annoyed me, but as my sociologically minded better half pointed out it makes a big difference when a man runs off with his daughter. Of course, they could have done the vacation tale with Harry stopping by Silent Hill for research for a book, but that's another tale.

- The Cult. I guess the changes here were to simplify the story into something the average movie goer could understand, but I didn't like the change. Evil cult wanting to raise a dark and terrible god whose leader is so dedicated she implants the God into her own daughter, then burns her when she gets out of control.

- Dahlia and Christabella. Alright, this one I don't get. Why have Dahlia be good if you're going to make, well, Dahlia by another name? Because having a mother harm her daughter is disturbing? News flash - we just saw Pyramid Head tear someone's skin off. I think we can cope with the idea that Dahlia's a crazy bitch. We managed in the games. Unnecessary character was unnecessary.

- Lisa and Kaufman - especially annoying with the inclusion of unnecessary character was the loss of Kaufman and the tiny role of Lisa. Lisa was one of the most heart breaking plotlines ever and Kaufman...well, he was a bit of a bastard really, but would have been fun in the film.

- The ending. Welp, there goes any chance of a movie based on Silent Hill 3...

On the plus side, the visuals were stunning and some of the ideas intriguing. I liked the idea that a good chunk of the cult could be locked away inside Alessa's dark world as punishment for what was done to her, and that they'd use the mining gear to explore. Not so hot on the hole 'town is one fire' thing because, let's face it, a town that's meant to be abandoned and is isn't as scary as a town that's supposed to be normal but is deserted.

The soundtrack was pretty much ripped from the games, and that was a good move. It helped create some of the Silent Hill atmosphere in the movie. The visuals were, once again, excellent.

The thing is...I think the returning people are the wrong way around. I felt, from watching the bonuses at least, that Avery as a writter wanted to take things his own way as much as possible and Gans, as a big fan of the games (or at least that's how he came across) tried to keep as much the same as he could. I'm worried Avery is going to steer the movies futher away from the games rather than closer to them. No, they shouldn't be identical, of course. But some things felt like changes for the sake of changes...Cheryl to Sharon, for example (and anyone notice the name Cheryl in graffiti in an early scene?) are just so random. And you might as well have called Christopher Harry and made him a writer...and then have him find Baby after the movie...hmmm.

I'm just worried by this. I don't trust them not to go even further away.

Comment

Well Silent Hill's movie adaptation is infinitely superior to Resident Evil's... So I guess a sequel it's a good thing!

At least videogame adaptations are trying to get closer to the ideas on the games... It has been a long way from Street Fighter and Super Mario Bros. to movies like Silent Hill and Hitman...

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

Silent Hill would have worked better as a Resident Evil movie, barring the supernatural elements obviously. My point is that the movie lacked all of the substance, subtlety, nuance, and, frankly, intelligence that the games have come to be known for. Instead, we get awful writing, stilted dialogue, and in your face gore. Perfect for a Resident Evil film, not so much for a Silent Hill film.

The only thing redeeming about the Silent Hill movie was the aesthetics. I think it was IGN who said that the movie nailed the atmosphere and visual presentation from the games, but ultimately, it was like a hollow shell.

EDIT:

Perhaps I should qualify the "in your face gore" comment. I know the Silent Hill games have their fair share of blood and gore, but I don't remember there ever being anything quite like the scenes in the movie where Pyramid Head rips off that woman's skin, or Christabella being torn apart from the inside by all of that barbed wire which, if I recall correctly, entered her body through her vagina. Perhaps it was channeling Pyramid Head. Neither scene seemed particularly necessary, nor did they serve any greater purpose, as similar scenes in the games at least try to do.

Well, maybe not Homecoming, but that might as well have been called "Silent Hill: The Movie: The Game."
            Last edited by Archelon; 09-16-2009, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
              Well, maybe not Homecoming, but that might as well have been called "Silent Hill: The Movie: The Game."
              Or Silent Hill: Hostel.

Spoiler:
              Last edited by Beanovsky Durst; 09-16-2009, 06:30 PM.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

I really liked the Silent Hill film. It was beautiful and featured a story that was unique. Lisa was probably cut due to keep the story flowing and simpler as there were many other characters that needed screen time. The development for Lisa would have required the film to be a lot longer I think.

The weak part of the film was some of the dialogue. I remember people laughing in the cinema because some of it was pretty bad. I remember Rose or Cybil saying something like, "everything's gonna be okay" after they just got nearly slaughtered by Pyramid Head.

I'm looking forward to this film although it is a long while away. I hope it does justice to the games and at the very least, to the first film.

Comment

Originally posted by zomBD View Post
                  Well Silent Hill's movie adaptation is infinitely superior to Resident Evil's... So I guess a sequel it's a good thing!.

Indeed. I really enjoyed the first one... and i'm looking forward to watch the sequel. The first one was brilliant, the atmosphere did a really good job and you really get the feeling that you are in Silent Hill. Although the ending was nothing new it did very well. It's really faithful to the series... and do i have to say that it's d@mn far superior to resident vil's?

Comment

Originally posted by Jill Lover View Post
                    and do i have to say that it's d@mn far superior to resident vil's?
                    That's kind of like saying an anal probe is superior to a colonoscopy.

Comment

I prefer STD references...the crabs are better than HIV for example.

The thing about cutting Lisa is they could have done it, if Dahlia/Christabelle had just been Dahlia instead. It would have saved enough time to do it, I think. Maybe an extra five minutes but nothing that couldn't be wormed in. Her story in the games is, what, ten minutes long or so? Plus a journal.

Comment

Well its about time. They were talking about the project being in limbo for too long and its nice that this is actually confirmed.

As long as it has the same awesome visuals like the first movie I'll be good. =)

Comment

Let's compare...

Resident Evil (2002) - Production Budget: $33 million
                          U.S. market: $40,119,709
                          "Foreign": $62,321,369
                          Worldwide: $102,441,078

Silent Hill (2006) - Production Budget: $50 million
                          U.S. market: $46,982,632
                          "Foreign": $50,624,821
                          Worldwide: $97,607,453

Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                          sigpic

Comment

I love the RE movies too, so that's good to know as well. Good to know it was close. Can't wait for Afterlife as well as SH2 (the movie, that is ). I'm so excited!

Comment

Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
                              I love the RE movies too. I'm so excited!
                              This is MADNESS!!!
                              *touches the stun rod to Canas' head*

Comment

Working...
                              X