Capcom Has Not Yet Decided Resident Evil 6 Producer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capcom Has Not Yet Decided Resident Evil 6 Producer

"Honestly", RE5 and Lost Planet 2 producer Jun Takeuchi told Kotaku, "the producer for Resident Evil 6 hasn't been decided yet." Takeuchi has previously expressed interested in a fresh take on the RE series. With Resident Evil 5, he spearheaded the implementation of a dual control scheme that allows players to play with more traditional RE controls or newer, tweaked ones.

"I think, while Resident Evil 4 is a great game, its appeal was limited somewhat to maniac players," Takeuchi said. "With RE5, I wanted to bring the series to a larger audience. I think its important to do the same for the next RE."

Part of Capcom's plan to bring the franchise to a larger audience includes the Wii Resident Evil titles. Since Resident Evil 5 is coming to the PS3 with wand motion controllers, it would make sense for Capcom to bring the title over to the Nintendo Wii.

Wii ports might be possible, but according to Takeuchi, "With the difference between hardware specs for the Wii and the PS3, porting might be hard. We currently have no plans."
    Kotaku

Uhh keep bringing and bringing it to a larger audience? I mean it was one of the biggest sellers of the year so far.

Comment

With RE5, I wanted to bring the series to a larger audience. I think its important to do the same for the next RE.
      Well just make Resident Evil Sports: Resort with MotionPlus capabilities and then you'll appeal to a much wider audience...

Capcom shouldn't give Takeuchi RE6. I'd rather see 6 with Masachika Kawata (DSC), Keiji Inafune (Dead Rising), or a returning Shinji Mikami (it's a pretty slim chance since he's on Platinum Games, I know).
      However I'll be happy if they bring back Jim Sonzero to direct cut-scenes... He did a fantastic job.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

"With RE5, I wanted to bring the series to a larger audience. I think its important to do the same for the next RE."
        I guess that means we won't see a return of the original gameplay formula..
        After Darkside Chronicles, I'll be done with the series.. If they truly 'reboot' the series, that is.. While the gameplay is excellent in RE4/RE5, it was the characters that really kept me hooked. So, if they replace the characters, and broaden the action-style gameplay even further, I'll really have no interest.

It's the characters that really draw me to the games. Especially the stories/characters that revolve around the Umbrella Corporation.
        In RE4, when they decided to give Umbrella the axe, I think they made a big mistake.. Just my humble opinion.
        (I don't know what possessed me to share all of this. I am normally very inactive in forums.. XD..)
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zomBD View Post
          Well just make Resident Evil Sports: Resort with MotionPlus capabilities and then you'll appeal to a much wider audience..
          You know.. I would love that, actually.. That and Resident Evil Kart.
          Does anyone remember that article where Takeuchi was asked about the Wii Fit board?
          He said he would love to make a zombie fitness game. I'm still waiting for it. XD..
          sigpic

Comment

Videogame companies are just that, companies - And they're constantly looking to expand their markets in the same way any other business selling any other kind of product would. That's just how raw capitalism works - Produce a good modern product, market it to the appropriate audience and then repeat the formula, gaining a bigger audience and more money with each successive release. Anything less is considered a failure.

I really don't care where they decide to take the Resident Evil series, i'll probably enjoy the next game regardless of how it evolves since i'm an enthusiast of... good stuff. If it's well made and enjoyable, then i'll appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by PracticalAl View Post
              I guess that means we won't see a return of the original gameplay formula..

If someone manages to make controller schemes and fixed camera angles somehow flow with the majority, I'm sure it'd be considered. Unfortunately, last time a Resident Evil game was released with several elements of the original formula, the game was heavily frowned upon by many of the franchise fans...

Comment

I'd like to see them give it to a completely new team, preferably one that has never worked on an RE title before. That way they can really be creative and not be held back by any one person's preconceived notions of what constitutes a Resident Evil title.

Or heck, try what they're doing with Dead Rising 2 and give it to a Western developer. Have some overseers from Capcom Japan, but leave the actual development and majority of the creative process to the Western team. If Dead Rising 2 turns out well enough, they could even give it to Blue Castle.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                  If someone manages to make controller schemes and fixed camera angles somehow flow with the majority, I'm sure it'd be considered. Unfortunately, last time a Resident Evil game was released with several elements of the original formula, the game was heavily frowned upon by many of the franchise fans...
                  I thought the control schemes in the REmake and RE Zero (Excluding the lack of item boxes..) were absolutely perfect.
                  But, I understand where you are coming from. The majority rules.. ; n;..

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
                  Or heck, try what they're doing with Dead Rising 2 and give it to a Western developer. Have some overseers from Capcom Japan, but leave the actual development and majority of the creative process to the Western team. If Dead Rising 2 turns out well enough, they could even give it to Blue Castle.
                  Silent Hill 5 was developed by a western team.. And look what happened to that.. *shudders*.. D8..
                  Last edited by PracticalAl; 09-26-2009, 09:29 PM. Reason: Hit submit by accident. Sorry!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PracticalAl View Post
                    Silent Hill 5 was developed by a western team.. And look what happened to that.. *shudders*.. D8..
                    While that's certainly true, the development team behind Homecoming didn't exactly have a very good track record going into it.

On the flip side, Blue Castle, to my knowledge, has only ever developed baseball games, and yet they seem to be really hitting it out of the park with Dead Rising 2 (terrible pun intended). It obviously depends on the team, but Capcom has picked some solid Western developers for other games in the past, so I'd feel a bit more confident about a Western-developed Resident Evil than I would another Japanese franchise.

Comment

While that's certainly true, the development team behind Homecoming didn't exactly have a very good track record going into it.

On the flip side, Blue Castle, to my knowledge, has only ever developed baseball games, and yet they seem to be really hitting it out of the park with Dead Rising 2 (terrible pun intended). It obviously depends on the team, but Capcom has picked some solid Western developers for other games in the past, so I'd feel a bit more confident about a Western-developed Resident Evil than I would another Japanese franchise.
                      Very good point. Capcom does indeed, have a good record of doing just that. Ha-ha, and I like your pun.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zomBD View Post
                        Well just make Resident Evil Sports: Resort with MotionPlus capabilities and then you'll appeal to a much wider audience...

Capcom shouldn't give Takeuchi RE6. I'd rather see 6 with Masachika Kawata (DSC), Keiji Inafune (Dead Rising), or a returning Shinji Mikami (it's a pretty slim chance since he's on Platinum Games, I know).
                        However I'll be happy if they bring back Jim Sonzero to direct cut-scenes... He did a fantastic job.
                        I agree. It seems after the series got handed to him, everything goes downhill. RE5 was a carbon copy of RE4 with even more actions, and he's going to reboot the series without typing up the end of the plots especially for Sherry and Steve. Now he's saying that the direction for future REs will be to appeal to the general audience rather than making it more scarier?

Comment

Originally posted by xfactor View Post
                          I agree. It seems after the series got handed to him, everything goes downhill. RE5 was a carbon copy of RE4 with even more actions, and he's going to reboot the series without typing up the end of the plots especially for Sherry and Steve. Now he's saying that the direction for future REs will be to appeal to the general audience rather than making it more scarier?
                          And he's completly copying the formula of RE4 Wii Edition to make RE5 "PS3 Wand" Edition... Takeuchi has no good ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgDV48JbYXw @ 5:14, is the most obvious example.

The only thing I like so far is the new scenario, other than that...

And I also agree that giving the franchise to a Western Developer could be a good idea... Let's see how Dead Rising 2 turns out and then I'll make my veredict .
                          Last edited by Beanovsky Durst; 09-27-2009, 12:36 AM.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

I can see it now...

Play as a rookie 2nd baseman who just got brought up to the big leagues, only to arrive at the ballpark to find that it has been infested with bio-weapons! It seems the team's manager has gone insane, and is hunting down everyone in the park after locking all the exits. Has the park been selected as a test site for a new evil corporation? Discover the tragic secrets behind the veteran shortstop's family, including his young daughter who is seen running around the park dodging bio-weapons. And watch out for those zombie pitchers!

You've used the Bullpen Key. This key is useless now. Discard?
                            Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

When the rumors came about how Blue Castle was doing Dead Rising 2, these are the things that I started thinking of;

-Physics and hit detection; they probably have great knowledge and experience with object interaction.
                              -Crowd and Singular AI; both from players and audience, they probably have experience with making systems for making stuff act both on their own and in hive mind.
                              -Animation and framerate; every millisecond counts in their sport of choice and the object interaction calls for various "on the fly" generated animation solutions. Milking it all (performance wise) is something they probably know.

Dead Rising 2 is probably in good hands.

Comment

Working...
                              X