Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Playground - Chris Kramer talks about RE5's PC exclusive 3D mode

"So...as if this game isn't freaky enough, now it's going to
    be imposing itself onto your real world.
    " - Chris Kramer.

Jason MacIsaac, of the electric playground, wrote in to us to let us know that they recently put up a video preview/interview with Capcom's Chris Kramer, focusing on the PC version of Resident Evil 5 and its exclusive support for nvidia's fancy GeForce 3D Vision kit.

So if you've got about 3m30s of time to spare: Check it out!

This is why I need a gaming-quality PC... I would love to play No Mercy mode in 3D.

Comment

Why everyone's so hyped about 3D? Especially since it's not real 3D, but an illusion that requires glasses to work. It's not like playing RE5 in 3D at 60fps or more will change the game itself. DMC4 runs at 60fps, but DMC3 at 30 fps, and with PS2 graphics, it's still so much better then DMC4. Or Silent Hill 2. No 3D, no surround sound, bad graphics(by todays standarts of course), and it's still scary as hell. Much more scary then Dead Space, with its surround effects, great graphics, and 16:9 ratio. Even if it was 3D with 100 times better graphics, It'd still lose to SH2 big time.

Yeah, 3D is "cool". For first 60 minutes that is.

Comment

I think it would give me a headache.
        Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

At least capcom is adding thing to the releases of RE 5 but I think I would get RE 5 on PC just for the mods.

Comment

Originally posted by BahamutRetsu View Post
            Why everyone's so hyped about 3D? Especially since it's not real 3D, but an illusion that requires glasses to work.
            Games are an illusion too... sort of (they're not real!)

How'd you expect them to create "real" 3D anyway?
            Holographic projections? Action figures in motion on your table?

It's not like playing RE5 in 3D at 60fps or more will change the game itself. DMC4 runs at 60fps, but DMC3 at 30 fps, and with PS2 graphics, it's still so much better then DMC4. Or Silent Hill 2. No 3D, no surround sound, bad graphics(by todays standarts of course), and it's still scary as hell. Much more scary then Dead Space, with its surround effects, great graphics, and 16:9 ratio. Even if it was 3D with 100 times better graphics, It'd still lose to SH2 big time.
            Dunno where to start, but, various audio/visual effects affects the experience. Some of them only in positive ways. As for DMC3 vs 4 is more a matter of game design in general, it's not a question of whether or not one is in HD. "You can't polish a turd" (or, well, if you do, fact remains; it's a turd). Comparing Silent Hill to Dead Space is like comparing apples with oranges. Dead Space has a greater focus on combat than any Silent Hill game has. +It's worth pointing out that Silent Hill 2-4 still hold up pretty okay-ishly in the graphics department and all 3 of those games support "out of the box" Dolby Surround sound.

Yeah, 3D is "cool". For first 60 minutes that is.

At the end of the day:

Being able to see "space/depth", without the constant flickering or extremely expensive gadgetry, is pretty awesome and adds a lot to the experience (Watching movies at the cinema, such as Coraline, in 3D is pretty amazingly hot.)

The next step in this 3D thing is of course to combine it with motion tracking (in this case; head tracking), so rendering would be relative to head positioning. Like this

Comment

Silent Hill and Dead Space are horror games. They can be compared. Sure DS is more action oriented, but it's still a horror game. Great horror game. What I say is that all this hi-tech stuff does little in terms of improving the depth of experience. At least for me. If the core of a game or movie is "rotten", no matter how boomy or 3D it will be, it will still be a bad game/movie. I don't say that new tech is bad. In fact, I LOVE HD gaming and BD. It's awesome. But did I change my opinion about, for example, Gladiator movie? No. I said 3D is cool, but overestimating it is a big mistake. They are hyping it too much.

Real 3D is any 3D that does not require glasses, and the image exists in 3 dimensions. No technology exists yet, to create it. But who knows what the future will bring?

I agree that HD and surround enhance the experience a little. What I don't like is when people get insane about it. To the point of being unable to watch/enjoy SD at all.
              Last edited by BahamutRetsu; 10-11-2009, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X