Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We now interrupt this program - Dino Crisis available on US PSN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We now interrupt this program - Dino Crisis available on US PSN!

The PlayStation blog recently updated with the list of new content for the US PSN, including this little bit of good news, confirming the PSN release of the first installment in what was once considered Capcom and Mikami's sister series to Resident Evil.

Dino Crisis ($5.99)
    Survival Horror on a Much Larger Scale. Your most primal fears grab you on this new journey into survival horror from the creators of Resident Evil. Suspicious and terrifying… the world’s most renowned scientist has disappeared and you’ve been recruited to investigate on a mysterious, remote island. Suddenly, out of the mist appears a predator, which has haunted mankind’s imagination for centuries… experience the pure terror!
    ESRB Rated M
    File size: 248 MB
    Unfortunately, for the fans who hunger for more or just can't stand old PlayStation graphics, there are still no news on whether or not we'll actually ever get to see a new game in the Dino Crisis franchise (or a long overdue remake of one of the previous ones... such as the first one)

Source: PlayStation Blog - Thanks for the heads up, ChrisRedfield29

I've been waiting for a true sequel ever since the cliffhanger set up by dino crisis 2. Capcom needs to get on the ball with bringing this franchise back. Thankfully my psp has more time to spare with all these survival horror classics on the go.
    Last edited by Smiley; 11-24-2009, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Bloddy hell, finally!

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
        I've been waiting for a true sequel ever since the cliffhanger set up by dino crisis 2. Capcom needs to get on the ball with bringing this franchise back. Thankfully my psp has more time to spare with all these survival horror classics on the go.
        Do I have $100 on "Testing the waters?"

Comment

Dino Crisis was a great game and this gives me the perfect reason to go back and get more of endings. Multiple paths in videos games are what is missing today and that is why I loved Resident Evil and Dino Crisis.

Comment

Originally posted by Stars1356 View Post
            Dino Crisis was a great game and this gives me the perfect reason to go back and get more of endings. Multiple paths in videos games are what is missing today and that is why I loved Resident Evil and Dino Crisis.

Multiple paths and endings are awesome. Gives plenty of sweet and delicious replay value. Makes me a bit sad on the inside that there are people (even around these boards) crying about how games shouldn't feature such things, as it supposedly makes it hard for them to know what's supposed to be the official canon...

Comment

DINOS IN SPACE

What a stupid idea that was Capcom. Please pretend DC3 never happened and continue the story from the end of DC2 pls.

K thx.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                Multiple paths and endings are awesome. Gives plenty of sweet and delicious replay value. Makes me a bit sad on the inside that there are people (even around these boards) crying about how games shouldn't feature such things, as it supposedly makes it hard for them to know what's supposed to be the official canon...
                Ain't that the truth. I'm actually glad that Spoiler:

Comment

Yes but then with different ending it causes douchebags on here and other sites to debate that canon on message boards. I think if they do multiple endings on games, they need something to make the canon ending obvious. With achievements and trophies they could label them as "Finished the game" and then "Alternate Finish A".

Comment

**LONG POST ALERT**

Meh. Why do one ending have to be the "correct" ending?

Silent Hill 1 left a couple of conditions that had to be true for Silent Hill 3 to take place, however, Silent Hill 2's endings are all open. Silent Hill 3 had so few endings that as far as replay value goes in the narrative, you only really needed to save at one point near the end and pick the other option on a simple Yes / No like answer to decide which ending you wanted. What do Silent Hill 1-2 have that the later installments does not? Near universal praise for their replay value, content and narrative. This while at the same time featuring even more archaic controls, visuals and combat systems than their sequels. The fact that their stories are non-linear and full of variables allows for replay value and an actual feeling of accomplishing something as you alter the outcome of the narrative through your own actions.

Or what about Resident Evil 1-2? Sure, it's obvious that certain events "had to happen", but under most circumstances, you can still add in variables to the mix and have somewhat the same outcome (take events of all scenarios in all games covering the same ground)
                    It's not without reason these two are considered the big favorites and the must plays of the franchise.

What about games where the sequels even include/refer to elements that may never even have happened during gameplay or were completely optional/secret? (Compilation of Final Fantasy VII is a nice sample of a gigantic "offender" there.)

In general, as far as labeling endings goes; some games label their endings with names and/or "rank" the endings, based on the content and how "good" the outcome supposedly is. But the "good" outcome isn't necessarily the best outcome for building the sequels on. The canon is nothing but what you make for yourself, and how you fill in the blanks. In some cases, sequels/supplemental material may suggest that specific material is required to have happened in order for the sequel to take place, but they should always be treated as "If" variables. Nothing is set in stone as long as you can always go back and play something and get a totally different outcome. Game narratives are hardly what can be considered fact, given their fictive nature.

Games aren't movies. Games are interactive. The ability to provide branching storylines triggered by even adjusting the tiniest of variables is a rather huge and important part of their unique charm, purpose and functionality. The option of picking the knife instead of the gun. The option to climb rooftops or steal a car. For anyone who thinks storylines should always be fixed and there should always be a one "true" ending, I think it's time to go back and play the first two Silent Hill games, or maybe the 4th, or how about some Shadow of Memories (Shadow of Destiny for the US folks), the PSP port of the latter is available in Japan with full English voice and text and will soon be released in the US too (hopefully Europe will see this too, as it's quite possibly one of the best narratives ever put together in an interactive medium).

Not to make this super long or anything, but I'd like to point out that the latest GTAs have all had terrible narratives. The main problem is that their fixed storyline makes the main character that you play as become a totally different character everytime there's a cutscene. GTAIII got it right. The protagonist never goes out of character. Mass Effect did it right. Fallout 1-2 + many D&D license games have got it right. The narrative should never become a separate entity from the gameplay. They need to co-exist and take place in the same "universe." Niko can't run around burning people alive in the streets one second, to then bitch and moan about how it's all his cousin's fault that he gets into trouble all the time. It's a massive and constant case of ye olde "Why not Phoenix Down?" in regards to Aeris' death. (Bad sample. I know. As anyone with half-a-brain knows that Phoenix Down only cures KO status, not sword through stomach TAKE THAT, CLOUD! NOWPLZDIEKTHX!-status)

Comment

(Bad sample. I know. As anyone with half-a-brain knows that Phoenix Down only cures KO status, not sword through stomach TAKE THAT, CLOUD! NOWPLZDIEKTHX!-status)
                      ...Be that as it may, I never understood why they wouldn't just use a SOFT on Red XIII's dad ;_;

Or am I forgetting something? lol

Comment

Originally posted by YamiYumes View Post
                        Or am I forgetting something? lol
                        Such as those huge arrows/spears/thingies sticking out of his body, making him look like a cross-breed between his own species and a porcupine, maybe?
                        Last edited by Carnivol; 11-26-2009, 09:51 PM. Reason: Unpretrifying him would only serve the purpose of letting him die... again.

Comment

Such as those huge arrows/spears/thingies sticking out of his body, making him look like a cross-breed between his own species and a porcupine, maybe?
                          Yeah. Definitely forgot about those. My bad. =/

Comment

Yup, I downloaded this during my US PSN shopping spree. Along with RE1-DC, RE2 and Silent Hill.

RE3 should come soon and then I'd just want Dino Crisis 2... The latter seems unlikely, because for some reason Capcom dosn't seem to rate DC2 very highly. I thinks it's easily one of the BEST PS1 games ever made. It has a LOT in common with RE3 (my favorite PS1 game).
                            Maybe we just need to hassle Capcom some more at their forums to make it happen...
                            Last edited by Skunky; 11-27-2009, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Nah Capcom have said it's coming so don't worry. They announced the games they had coming out on their Unity blog and it wasn't there, but they Twittered shortly after that it was.

But yeah, great game.

Comment

Working...
                              X