Interview With Paul Anderson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview With Paul Anderson

There's a new interview article with Paul Anderson over at Shocktillyoudrop. The article talks about the upcoming Resident Evil: Afterlife movie, as well as his opinion on 3D movies. The firm believer of the 3D technology also shares a bit of his experience with Capcom of Japan in the article.

Shocktillyoudrop

I'll never understand why this 3D garbage is such hot shit... I'm not interested in it whatsoever, and I really hope it's just another one of Hollywood's phases that will quickly pass. Then again, Hollywood has never known the definition of simplicity, so I shouldn't even question their mindset.

Comment

It's not just Hollywood...it's entertainment as a whole. Before you know it, there will be 3DTV's flooding the market, 3D glasses on the faces of middle- and upper-class kids across America, and very soon, 3D gaming as well. Sony hasn't been shy on their intentions of going head-first into the world of 3D video games. Plus, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Nintendo's upcoming 3D DS.
      Last edited by Vector; 04-14-2010, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
        Plus, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Nintendo's upcoming 3D DS.
        With dating sims on the Japanese DS, I'm shocked this isn't already in existance. Because with the stylus you can poke....yeah never mind not going there.

When 3D also means I'll be getting more than just pictures popping out at me, then I'll be interested. Was it George Carlin that that mentioned smell-o-vision? Yeah...that would be awesome for some shows, less awesomem for others.
        sigpic
        Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

It's not just Hollywood...it's entertainment as a whole. Before you know it, there will be 3DTV's flooding the market, 3D glasses on the faces of middle- and upper-class kids across America, and very soon, 3D gaming as well. Sony hasn't been shy on their intentions of going head-first into the world of 3D video games. Plus, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Nintendo's upcoming 3D DS.
          Ugggggggggggghhhhhhhh. :[

Comment

Originally posted by Rosetta Mist View Post
            With dating sims on the Japanese DS, I'm shocked this isn't already in existance. Because with the stylus you can poke....yeah never mind not going there.

When 3D also means I'll be getting more than just pictures popping out at me, then I'll be interested. Was it George Carlin that that mentioned smell-o-vision? Yeah...that would be awesome for some shows, less awesomem for others.
            I believe current 3D tech is capable of just having the stuffs popping out from the tv. It can simulate depth as well, and glasses-free 3D is becoming more prominent. The only problem is the cost, but I guess it'll drop sharply as 3D gets more common in the next year or two.

I've tried a bit in creating auto-stereoscopic content and there's still lots of rooms for improvement to be made to the technology.

Comment

As for the lower-class kids (hi, guys!), we can only watch these kind of TVs after sneaking in longer than we should at a somewhat-nearby Sears. D:

Although, somebody said something about 3D tech adding depth. I don't mind that. I mean, crap popping out is kind of annoying (for TVs, at least, imo), but I don't mind extra depth at all.

Comment

Originally posted by xdeadpan View Post
                I'll never understand why this 3D garbage is such hot shit... I'm not interested in it whatsoever, and I really hope it's just another one of Hollywood's phases that will quickly pass. Then again, Hollywood has never known the definition of simplicity, so I shouldn't even question their mindset.
                And why is it garbage? I like it, when done properly, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by doomed View Post
                  And why is it garbage? I like it, when done properly, of course.
                  It being garbage is simply my opinion. I have absolutely no interest in it whatsoever. It doesn't appeal to me. I don't need images bursting from a screen to feel engulfed in any type of media (films, video gamse, etc.). I've never been a fan of it, even when I was younger and 3D had its momentary day in the sun. Now that it's creeping back into popularity, I'm aggravated by the media's obsession with it because I find it tremendously underwhelming.

But, like I said, this is only my opinion, and I understand it's not a popular one. But I am not looking forward to this technology advancing. I favor simplicity over what I see as being obnoxious and useless.

Comment

My (albeit limited) understanding is that 3D in cinema is nothing new.

And here's a really interesting article on challenges that 3D films face
                    Clash of the Titans is a washed-out, dimly lit, cardboard-looking mess of a motion picture. But don't take my word for it: The film has so far earned...
                    sigpic

Comment

Was hoping for more than "It's garbage because it doesn't interest me" to be honest.

Comment

Clash of the Titans 3-D conversion was rushed, it was done in about 2 months, and that's why it looked so bad.

Cameron said that the conversion of Titanic (which of course is a 3h film, when CotT is a 2h film) will take 6 months to 1 year to do it properly.

Comment

I don't think I will ever like 3-D I am only able to see out of my right eye due to the fact my optic nerve never developed in the left at birth. So my view would be distorted watching anything in 3-D.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
                            Was hoping for more than "It's garbage because it doesn't interest me" to be honest.
                            Well, you're free to explain why you think it's not garbage. In fact, I'd highly encourage you to do so (given that you're fan of it--I could be wrong). Every time I read about 3D, I'm only further baffled by why it's so popular. I just do not understand the big deal.

As I pointed out in my post, I find it underwhelming, obnoxious and pointless. Yet, lo and behold, it's a huge phenomenon. It sells (obviously) but, to me, there's nothing spectacular about 3D. The mainstream audience loves it, but why? What am I missing?

Comment

Avatar did 3D correctly... because the 3D had true cinema depth of field and actual 3D computer imagery in it. When I first saw it at the preview on the Avatar day thing I had to explain it to people a lot, and the great thing was the 3D computer displays in the movie that actually transformed across into 3D shape in the cinema.

The problem is, much like the 80's revival of 3D (I'm never going to forget those shark jaws in Jaws 3(-D)) the more movies that cheapen the effect by just making things look like cutouts (like when you look through a Viewmaster or something) then people go off it because it's cheap and tacky and bad. Much like Clash of the Titans in 3D was.

I'm not holding my breath for the Resident Evil film, because while they are using Cameron's system, if they don't push the 3D objects in 3D space aspect then the whole thing is a waste... and with the short post-production time I doubt they'll be able to do it.

Originally posted by TheSelfishGene View Post
                              And here's a really interesting article on challenges that 3D films face
                              http://www.slate.com/id/2249527/
                              And as I mentioned - cutouts will ruin the industry if a glut arrives. Good article. Cheers for linking to it.

Originally posted by Jill's Pills View Post
                              I don't think I will ever like 3-D I am only able to see out of my right eye due to the fact my optic nerve never developed in the left at birth. So my view would be distorted watching anything in 3-D.
                              Depends on the type. Traditional 3D required two colored lenses and both eyes to work, but different types exist and as the wiki entry that Gene linked to also shows, non glasses is the future for the medium and you shouldn't require both eyes to have perfect vision for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X