Guinness Polls "Top 50 Videogame Franchise Of All Time"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guinness Polls "Top 50 Videogame Franchise Of All Time"

Guinness recently ran a feature on the 50 biggest video game franchises of all time and Resident Evil was number 12 on the list, keep in mind this list wasn't made through sales calculations or review aggregates, Guinness states that the list was compiled based on feedback from "the players themselves", aka us gamers. The full list can be read at the link below.

Guinness's "Top 50 Video Game Franchises of All Time", thanks to chrisredfield29
    Last edited by A-J; 05-08-2010, 06:40 AM.

That list's so hilariously wonky and lacking

Comment

I had no idea Chrono Trigger was a franchise :p

Comment

How about Lego Batman, Goldeneye and World of Warcraft? (Or, well, I guess WoW might count as a franchise of its own now, instead of just being part of the WARCRAFT franchise. Goldeneye? What? A single entry in the JAMES BOND franchise is a franchise?)

I'm surprised the list has Final Fantasy and not FINAL FANTASY VII, FINAL FANTASY X or FINAL FANTASY XIII (you know, individual games in a series, where the individuals actually are full franchises of their own.)

That list's almost like asking someone in the street to just name 50 "big" games or something.
        Last edited by Carnivol; 05-08-2010, 07:43 AM. Reason: Chrono Trigger is part of the Chrono franchise (but, yeah... ooooookay...)

Comment

I can just see this list being argued about in pubs all over.

Comment

Exactly what kind of gamers replied to this? Halo is the top franchise of all time? Lol.

Comment

Guitar Hero number 4? And Chrono Trigger (even though it's not a franchise), Resident Evil, God of War, Zelda AND Starcraft below it? This list is a load of rubbish. I wouldn't even class Guitar Hero as a game franchise, per se. It's one of the peripheral games for casual gamers. That's like adding Wii Fit to it and putting that as number one.

Comment

Its good to see good game series on the list period. Although in my opinion I would have liked Resident Evil on the top 10.

Comment

I really don't see how Super Mario Bros. isn't ranked #1, even if the current installments aren't exactly as stellar as the earlier years. I think SMB is way more deserving of the #1 title, even if my preference for a favorite series lies elsewhere. Whatever, just my nostalgic opinion.

Comment

Yo "the people" voted for this list ! It's legit !

Comment

I really don't suspect this list to be completely accurate in terms of listing the games in "voted order" or however you want to say it. I mean, I just really don't believe that Kingdom Hearts would be ahead on Final Fantasy. Maybe its just me, but Kingdom Hearts really isn't THAT great...Its just kind of "Meh."

Secondly, I agree that Final Fantasy VII should be in a league of its own. After all, there are only 47,899,201 different incarnations of it. Bahga!

|AA|
                      sigpic

Comment

Pokemon beat Resident Evil? wtf!

Comment

I doubt that anyone I ask would agree that Kingdom Hearts is above Final Fantasy. I mean, Final Fantasy has what.. 12 sequels? And all the side games? Its success is huge. Kingdom Hearts is definitely "meh", I bought it, played it, didn't like it at all and took it back for an exchange.

As for Pokemon being better than Resident Evil, that one is possible. In Japan I imagine it's much popular. It also takes a certain type of gamer to like RE (especially the originals), whereas Pokemon transcends the adult/child gamer borderline. Pokemon is another of my favourite franchises and although I don't think it's better than RE, I can certainly imagine a fair few people would think otherwise.
                          Last edited by Alexia_Ashford; 05-09-2010, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Halo is 1st?.....I smell microsoft buying places here ¬_¬

Comment

Yay For Pokemon
                              Ehm ... RE too : )
                              SS Bros and Zelda Are the only ones That Deserve to be in Top 10
                              All the other 8 should have been below

Comment

Working...
                              X