Anyone know this man?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't have much more, really.

Basically, we're just fishing for some fresh input from other fans, since we were kinda already tainted by the idea of Ozwell Spencer (3.5) -> Osmund Saddler (probably w/dose of Ramon Salazar). Didn't even think of Lorenzo, but the artwork with the very textured/detailed robe is pretty curious.

At some point, I'd really like to re-visit Haunting Ground (Demento) for some random scouting, but that'll be for another time.

Basically, the robe's 3D model was in same graphical set as the police officers from Resident Evil 4's intro, along with a full set of textures that pretty much included everything but a full 3D model to go with it... and... well... the pants. We didn't quite know what type of pants he'd be wearing (or if he's even wearing any pants).

Enrico will have to correct me here if I'm wrong, but I believe he said he'd already seen the textures long ago (2006-ish), but kinda just shrugged them off as nothing special. Think it might've been upon randomly discovering the coat that the pieces suddenly started falling into place. Not sure what made him suddenly go digging in Resident Evil 4, but it certainly resulted in something awesome.

Basically, you can see the designs of PS2-era Resident Evil 4 being carried over to 3.5, seeing as the facial textures fits the retail GC model of Saddler, I guess it's safe to say that the character would be appearing there somewhere (and likely to be Spencer). I'm not sure if files are anything to go by (as they could just as well randomly be overwritten/revised with no real logic to their naming conventions), but if they are, we could assume that he at least appeared in the intro to the game (as part of the prologue and/or mission briefing) - if not as a proper character in the game.

Reason I mentioned Ramon Salazar earlier is because his clothing style still kinda fits in with the DMC-era character art direction we're assuming 3.5 probably was rolling with too (a style that certainly fit the seemingly castle/mansion focused setting of 3.5 vs. the Madrid outskirts setting of Resident Evil 4).

It could of course just as well be a very early design of Saddler, and not Spencer-related at all too, and that he received a facelift too. We at least know of one alternate Saddler design that has been featured in earlier builds - but that alt. design is still very close to what's seen in the final.

Besides, it wouldn't be the first true 3.5 design element to be found lurking within Resident Evil 4's data. As we've already seen some of the supposed effects/"powers" of 3.5 enabled via things such as general hacking, AR codes and the debug features in Resident Evil 4 (along with a few user triggers for the visual filters of the retail version of Resident Evil 4)

Not to mention the "Thank you for Playing" screens we posted here on THIA a few years back, along with the map and controller info screens from the 3.5 (Hook Man version) demo playthrough video that Capcom released. Not to mention how a character strongly resembling Haunting Ground's main character in a red winter coat appears in one of those pics, carrying a strange resemblance to an alternate Ashley design Enrico posted about over half-a-year ago.

Comment

Yeah, basically I found it in like Feb 2006 when looking for Leon, Ada, Ashley and Krausers textures to do some RE2 mods with. I kind of shrugged them off as I saw Saddlers face, recognised it as Saddler (though in truth this version was a lot older and had white hair) and didn't really pay much attention to the clothing. When you are looking for something specific, you tend to miss things

Basically the only model part left was said coat. But the textures were a good hint of what he should be wearing. Since he had a similar face texture to saddler, I used Saddlers head though this guy could have had a different face model shape. Hair again, the textures were almost a match for Saddler, except they were white. The clothing made it clear he had a cravat and vest so I borrowed Salazars as a base. The boots in his texture were obviously Riding boots so I just built some. The trousers there is a good change are wrong. There isn't a trouser texture apart from a green patch with a gold stripe located on his clothing textures so I assumed this would be his trousers.

Basically his overall shape other than the coat may be a bit off but it gives us an idea of how this guy should have looked.

If there is anything else left in RE4 its likely to be a load of untextured mess like Jill/Regina model.
      Last edited by Enrico Marini; 06-28-2010, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Wow, the resemblance is huge

Comment

^ Yup. Kinda funny, isn't it? Like even more pieces of a very weird puzzle are suddenly falling into place.

Comment

Carn, Enrico - thank you.

Alright, my apologies as I know I'm going to ramble most likely incoherently due to my exhausted state.
            Spoiler:

Anyway, my apologies again about the ramblings as I doubt anything I've just written makes any sort of sense - just this is all collectively what made me think of Demento/Haunting Ground first oddly. ;

(And my apologies also for the mixed file hosts - Flash Player isn't working for any uploaders after the update for me).
            Last edited by Enetirnel; 06-28-2010, 10:36 PM.
            sigpic
            Non-blurry Signature Version
            Youtube | Steam | Website (Under Construction)

Comment

Just a small the ps2 has unused cutscene models for human form Salazar and the Verdugo body guards, I noticed them when doing enemy swap codes there AI isn't fully programmed and they only walk when shot at then they stand still again until shot the next time, they can probably be used on the gc version too.
              If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Heh Spencer's appearance is perfect for a vampire =p

Haha nice noticing this pic in comparison to spencer.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2010, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning View Post

Heh Spencer's appearance is perfect for a vampire =p

Haha nice noticing this pic in comparison to spencer.
                  Personally, I would think that the Lorenzo model probably was a base one for Spencer to originally appear but as I said earlier - probably all were derived from the same elderly male concept at the time of RE4's development.

Though, thank you for posting the portrait of Spencer - I was too lazy to look for it. ;
                  sigpic

Comment

Wonder if Capcom, the masters of recycling, would've had 3.5's Spencer first be introduced in design somewhat like the model we posted, to then ultimately end up showing up later in the game bound to a wheelchair like in Resident Evil 5/Lost in Nightmares.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                      Wonder if Capcom, the masters of recycling, would've had 3.5's Spencer first be introduced in design somewhat like the model we posted, to then ultimately end up showing up later in the game bound to a wheelchair like in Resident Evil 5/Lost in Nightmares.
                      Ah, I would have replied to this sooner...

I have to admit, I wouldn't be surprised at all considering the amount of things scrapped at a point and reused that we've seen in the past (1.5 areas being reused technically) and some of these odd ones spawned from 3.5.

And somewhat in relation to that, and the Devil May Cry concept art that was posted earlier - I got around to uploading this one from Demento - essentially has the same hair as Spencer, Lorenzo. It also appears to have a cravat tucked into a vest, and we can see the female character is much younger than Fiona in this one (I've included a second one showing the front of that costume) - oddly, the other concept art are all of various outfits of a young female with blonde short cropped hair, cut bob or slightly longer bob with outfits that mostly have a school uniform theme.
                      Spoiler:

I'm also taking the colour scheme into mind of this particular one I've posted, and looking at 3.5 footage, scans - it looks like it could have fit in at a point, especially with the model at the start of the topic.
                      Last edited by Enetirnel; 07-05-2010, 04:03 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X