Keiji Inafune on Dead Rising and DMC's Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keiji Inafune on Dead Rising and DMC's Future

Keiji Inafune has been talking a bunch recently and along with his recent comments on the possible announcement of Resident Evil 6 soon, he told 3DJuegos that they are going to give the next DMC game a "western touch" to attract customers from the western markets, mainly the US and UK. On Dead Rising Inafune made a rather bold comment about the goal being to make Dead Rising Capcom's leading IP in Resident Evil's place. He went on to say that the future of the franchise and it's spin off's will depend on Dead Rising 2's sales.

Devil May Cry Getting Western Touch
    Capcom's Dead Rising Ambitions, thanks to aris13
    Last edited by A-J; 09-02-2010, 11:45 AM.

I don't think Dead Rising is that great and good enough to replace Resident Evil as the leading IP. I just honestly don't think that it is as great as Capcom makes it out to be. I'm probably one of the few people that could care less about this series. What they need to do is come up with some new original innovative game. I would hardly call Dead Rising innovative. Really.
    My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
    ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

Comment

They are trying too hard with the "western appeal", is going to blow in his faces very soon, they are lucky that RE5 is a financial success.

I like DR, case:0 is great in my book but leading IP, lol, please check DR1 sales worldwide, DR is not Halo or Gear of War.

Comment

Piece this bit of information along with them wanting to rush RE6. It almost seems like they are trying to purposely drive Resident Evil down into the ground.

Comment

Unlikely. Capcom likes money. RE generates fuck tons of cash. This is simply this guy trying to put his series (he's the producer for both Dead Rising games) over. He'd love to have a series he was instrumental in creating become Capcom's best seller because that means he's in a better position.

Still, RE is going down hill. Despite it's cheesy overtones, Dead Rising does have more horror appeal than the last couple of RE games. Which is kinda worrying.

Comment

wasn't DMC influenced somewhat originally by the west, in the first place?
            Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

Downhill as it may be, Resident Evil 5 was a really well selling game. Sold like 1.5 million in the NPD's in it's first month alone, one of the best selling PS3 games in Japan (even doing a respectable 200k or so for the 360) and decent in Europe too I guess. The name still holds cache even if the quality isn't consistent.
              Last edited by A-J; 09-02-2010, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                Unlikely. Capcom likes money. RE generates fuck tons of cash. This is simply this guy trying to put his series (he's the producer for both Dead Rising games) over. He'd love to have a series he was instrumental in creating become Capcom's best seller because that means he's in a better position.
                To be honest, I don't think Inafune can get in a better position at Capcom than he already is + Dead Rising becoming a major franchise would mean that he'd more or less be directly responsible for two major Capcom IPs.

Anyway, I could totally see them try to push Dead Rising even further and more or less try to go head on against other more "serious" sandbox games (although matching sales would be hard, but Dead Rising was off to a pretty great start, despite having some horrifying flaws that pretty much rivaled Resident Evil 1's complaints on the "most hated shit in a game ever" meter)

Comment

Originally posted by A-J View Post
                  Downhill as it may be, Resident Evil 5 was a really well selling game. Sold like 1.5 million in the NPD's in it's first month alone, one of the best selling PS3 games in Japan (even doing a respectable 200k or so for the 360) and decent in Europe too I guess. The name still holds cache even if the quality isn't consistent.
                  This isn't intended to start an argument but there is a big difference between preference and quality. Like it or dislike it, RE5 wasn't lacking any quality and is the best looking and playing (I mean engine and abilities as gameplay is a preference) title in the series. It was a monster success so it makes sense to push more out just like Activision shelling out CoD every year. As for Dead Rising, it won't become the most successful anytime soon and DMC needs to focus on improving the mechanics like Bayonetta - not Westernizing.

Comment

Oh no, my post was directed towards Darkmoon's "going downhill" comment, personally I like RE5 a lot myself, am not one of those unanimous haters

Comment

Dead Rising 2 has a good chances to sell better than RE5 now it's multiformat if the game is good.

I say this as back when the original released on the 360, it managed just more than 1.4 million sales overall worldwide... only just more than the 1.4 million sales RE4 managed on Gamecube released just before it. But the GC had a far far bigger install base than the 360 did at the time.
                      Last edited by Rombie; 09-02-2010, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I feel like Halo: Reach will legitimately dampen early sales for every game that releases around it.

Comment

I doubt so. RE5 is the 2nd most selling title in Capcom. It will be extremely hard for DR2, a relatively new franchise to overtake the sales of RE5.

DR2 doesn't have much of a fanbase on the PS3 platform either. Perhaps outselling Devil May Cry might have been a more realistic target.

Comment

Capcom shouldn't get inspiration from the west, it should be the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie View Post
                              They are trying too hard with the "western appeal", is going to blow in his faces very soon, they are lucky that RE5 is a financial success.
                              You talk about it as if this was new.

Capcom started to cater to the West since the company hit the reset button by cancelling a lot of projects in 2003. The sluggish Japanese gaming market motivated them to shift their focus away from Japan by producing games that had western gamers in mind.

This is why games like Dead Rising were created (with an "ugly" looking westerner as the lead) and also why RE became an action-Horror game beginning with RE4 and then ratified with RE5.

This strategy, that has been in practice for years, has been a near total success for them. I don't see how it could even blow up in their faces any time soon.
                              Last edited by Pikminister; 09-03-2010, 01:13 AM.
                              Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X