Silent Hill Movie Sequel Gets Fancy Title, 3D Treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silent Hill Movie Sequel Gets Fancy Title, 3D Treatment

Looks like the Silent Hill movie sequel is progressing along smoothly, the movie has a new title now "Silent Hill : Revelation 3D" and yes it will in fact be shot entirely in 3D. Michael J. Bassett (Solomon Kane) will direct this sequel and the story will focus on Heather Mason, fast approaching her 18th's birthday, looking for her missing father which leads her to the revelations of her true identity. No planned release window for the movie has been revealed so far.

Silent Hill Movie Sequel Update, thanks to aris13
    Last edited by A-J; 11-03-2010, 03:56 PM.

If this is a SH3 adaptation (as it sounds like it) I wonder how will they make it work after all the alterations they did to SH1 story in the first movie.

Comment

"Welcome to BACK Silent Hill"?

Comment

ah son of a bitchin' 3D. i'm so glad that The Dark Knight Rises is not getting a 3D treatment, but full IMAX instead.
        Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

awesome to hear some news about the SH movie

too bad it's being shot in 3d. i can definitely see some gimicky shots coming our way.

Comment

I must admit, I feel very negative as of late, but I'm expecting the worst here. Again. Hopefully they can send the story back towards a more Silent Hill thing rather than evil Christians and the like.

Also, since I don't do 3-D I'm very much looking foward to Pyramid Head randomly throwing the great knife at the screen.

Comment

Well, if you take the word 3d and the name Michael J. Bassett and put it in one sentence with the words like Silent Hill, revelation and Sequel... it will sound real bad. Lets face it, Solomon Kane sucks. I'am expecting the very worst here. Speaking about the SH movie though, I really liked the first one, it was pretty bad as a sh movie, but the best and only descent movie based on the video games, but that's only my opinion
              "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

Man, 3D? This will suck. The reason 3D worked with Avatar was because of all the bright colors and sharp contrast. We're talking sunlit jungles and neon hues at night. Silent Hill will be all drab grays and browns and rust colored smears. That will look awful in 3D. What a pity! I bet that this 3D movie will be smartly balanced out with wonderfully 2D characters, a stilted plot full of loopholes and over the top special effects that will fail to frighten anybody.

Comment

Damn it, why a new director? The original was perfect. Im a bit iffy on this now.. Fucking 3D is a gimmic, not all movies need it ugh.

Comment

Yeah Gans seems to know the source material well, I guess he just didn't want to make a sequel or was busy.. I liked Gans' Crying Freeman adapation, not as good as the anime but good enough.. I hope this new director knows SH, but something tells me he hasn't a clue about the real feeling..

Comment

N-Not Heather! She was favorite in the series. I'll be crushed when she's (inevitably) ruined, on-screen. Oh, this really breaks my heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Scream View Post
                        Yeah Gans seems to know the source material well, I guess he just didn't want to make a sequel or was busy.. I liked Gans' Crying Freeman adapation, not as good as the anime but good enough.. I hope this new director knows SH, but something tells me he hasn't a clue about the real feeling..
                        Yeah my thoughts exactly. It's going to suck RE movie style.

Originally posted by Bianca View Post
                        N-Not Heather! She was favorite in the series. I'll be crushed when she's (inevitably) ruined, on-screen. Oh, this really breaks my heart.
                        Yes I loved her too, I bet they won't even cast a young girl for it ugh!

Comment

Well Gans and Avery have always been vocal about why they made the kind of changes they made in the Silent Hill movie. From making the Harry character into a woman to using Pyramid Head to bringing townspeople into the final act.

From what I understand during the development of the first movie Gans wanted to make an all women cast (with a very humorous and yet irritating interview at one point where he says that he loves women and enjoys 'his time' with American bimbos). He tries to justify making Harry a woman by saying he views Harry as a mother figure.

Well who am I to judge his interpretation? Then again I'd argue that making Harry into 'Rose' changes not only the character, but the relations the character has with other characters. Rose deals with Cybil and Dahlia (who in ways kind of change or meet different roles and fates). Regardless I think the change was just made for the idea that female leads (a mother no less) bring about more fear and sympathy rather than using a male lead (which ironically is what most of the SH games use).

However the studio forced Gans to use more male characters and as a result you have these forced tacked on characters like Sean Bean and Kim Coates' roles. Which weren't needed. I'm not sure if the studio influenced the cult or not, but the tone of the film loses all its awe and seclusion the moment we get to the final act. And of course there's just fan add-ons which worked (the music) and didn't (Pyramid Head cameo).

I will give the first movie this though. It was the closest to a good video game-to-movie adaptation that I've seen so far. Without counting CGI movies like Final Fantasy and Degeneration. As far as live action goes I'd lean toward Silent Hill. Because if I put the changes aside and look at the real selling point of this movie (which is the town itself) then I'd have to say it's pretty good. Silent Hill visually looks impressive and the town they adapted looks and feels like the one from the games.

With a 3D gimmick I don't hold out for much, but I can't say I'm surprised the studio went that route. What I am surprised in was that they replaced Gans and Avery with a director who could be a complete misfire. I was under the impression that Avery was still going to write (and possibly direct) the sequel after he served his time (from the DUI that ended in the death of his friend) but now I hear this new guy is writing and directing. Never saw Solomon Kane, but haven't heard good things from it.

Based on the premise though it looks like they're going with a straight up Silent Hill 3 adaptation instead of SH2. They're using Heather as the name so I'm wondering if this is tied to the "cheryl character" from the game or the "sharon character" from the movie. Is this a sequel to the movie that loosely used SH1 characters (giving the leads different names) or will this be it's own separate thing?

Comment

Yes, because when you think of slow, methodical, minimalistic creatures who are trying to kill a teenager in a foggy/black environment, you think of 3D.
                            Last edited by BBboy20; 11-06-2010, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Zombie View Post
                              If this is a SH3 adaptation (as it sounds like it) I wonder how will they make it work after all the alterations they did to SH1 story in the first movie.
                              My first thought too. It doesn't make sense to go this route at all.
                              Last edited by veronesis; 11-07-2010, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X