Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15 years of Resident Evil (here's to 15 more!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 years of Resident Evil (here's to 15 more!)

Has it been that long already? Yup!

Today marks the 15th Anniversary of the release of the original Resident Evil on the PlayStation! Amazing, isn't it? I'm pretty sure we've actually got forum regulars who're younger.

So where are we now - 15 years later?

Here's a "top of my head" list of what's at least on the horizon;

We've got not just one, but TWO films coming out;
    -Resident Evil - Damnation, which is a CG movie set in the game universe and thus likely to be just as canon as the previous CG movie.
    -Resident Evil 5, which will be the fifth movie in the movie franchise. Scheduled for a late 2012 release. Not sure if this has a proper name yet.

We've also got a fistful of games and rumored games coming out (pardon me if I'm forgetting anything special or a billion mobile productions);
    -Resident Evil - Mercenaries 3D, which is a handheld "mercenaries mode"-only for the new 3DS. Features both new and old stages and characters.
    -Resident Evil - Revelations, which is a handheld (again, 3DS), story-driven game set somewhere before the events of Resident Evil 5.
    -Resident Evil - Portable, which is ... uhm ... who knows. Originally announced for the PSP and then just went radio silent. Maybe it's moved to the NGP? Very old rumors suggested an Outbreak-ish game for the PSP.
    -Resident Evil - *something something*, which is, well, a title only rumored to be in development by none other than one of the SOCOM devs. If all rumors are to believed, it might be an Outbreak-ish affair. Could this and portable be one and the same? Either way, listing this since after the Dead Rising / Blue Castle rumor thing turned out to be very much true ... I'll honestly believe anything as long as Capcom's name is associated with it.
    -Resident Evil 6, which is not even announced, but... hey... we all know it'll happen. It's just a matter of WHEN!

Community wise, what's going on these days?

The chaps over on Project Umbrella are ever so busy with their research. Churning away at any piece of research and story content they can find, in order to piece together the most extensive wiki-presentation of what's what, who's who and the like for the Resident Evil universe.

The people of the Resident Evil Center continue to amaze me with their efforts and I love their burning passion.

I'm not sure what's going on the other sites and communities around the globe, such as REfan, BHF and Biohaze, but I'm hoping everyone's doing great and celebrating this 15th Anniversary with style. At least I couldn't help but notice that Yama and cvxfreak is at least marking the occasion with once again whipping up a pretty impressive thread over on NeoGAF.

And I guess we shouldn't forget about Jerome's hard work on the Patient Zero movie project. They've got a total of 6 Behind the Scenes sequences up now, and recently announced that the release has been pushed into September. If you're on Facebook, I strongly suggest that you help spread the love for their hard efforts at Resident Evil Fan Films by liking their Facebook page

Now, where were we?

As you probably could guess based on the sloppiness of this post... we sadly didn't really get a chance to properly whip anything special together for this occasion, but here's where the site stands at the moment; Our moderators are doing a fantastic job keeping an eye on things, I'm trying to pretend I have a social life (whilst at least attempting to maintain contact with people and keep track of their whereabouts), Dot50Cal's in the middle of relocating again (hopefully for the last time this time) and everyone is very much looking forward to getting whipped back in action by him.

Hopefully, once we're well into April, we can get a few of our rather shamefully delayed releases and projects whipped off the ground again and start properly updating things around here again. (And, yes, I know we've probably been saying that for a while now). And, uh, speaking of releases... this certainly seems attention worthy too. Right?

Happy birthday, Resident Evil!

PS: Sorry about the lack of a Jill Sandwich -> Jill Pie -> Cream pie competition. You're free to post pictures of your delicious cakes and pastries if you'd like, and I'll see if I can dig out something to reward you with for efforts (as if being encouraged to eat cake/pastries wasn't reward enough). No guarantees, but it'd probably have to be something unRElated. Sorry.

Nice to see this thread on celebrating its 15th birthday today. Best wishes and good fortunes to the series going forward and hope for the community and its fanbase to still be strong for future titles

Comment

15 years is a great feat considering its a series with a story besides mgs I can't think if a longer running series that has a continuing story
      "Admit it, you're going to miss this ass" - Chloe Frazer

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Whoa, nice cake! Looks delicious.

Thanks for the shoutout for the thread on NeoGAF! Although I don't get to post much here these days, I still love the THIA community too.

Comment

Ohh nice cake, is that a mini beer in the Crimsons Heads hand?

Comment

Awesome cake LOL watch out or that Crimson Head will eat it all
              "Admit it, you're going to miss this ass" - Chloe Frazer

Comment

Happy Birthday RE! A bit sappy there Carnivol though. My post would go something like this...

How the RE Community has failed

- RE 1.5 still not publicly released.
                - Capcom do not listen to its hardcore fans (evidence - RE5 and upcoming games). Hence awful state of series..
                - Still disorganised, we don't even know what REfan is doing! (according to Carnivol )

OK maybe I'm not involved much anymore to comment but what the hell..

Project Umbrella is great for covering the current RE canon. And you were right to include Jerome's projects, it's not enough for 15 years however. There needs to be more RE projects but we're not that sort of community whom are exceptionally skilled in coding and stuff. Timing and resources does not permit much action in this area - hopefully it can change in the future somehow. For example, if someone could create an engine similar to RE3/RECV and create some decent games for it we would have something very similar to old-school RE and could start doing our own canon or whatever we wanted (alt-timelines perhaps? ). And no need to wait for Dark Biohazard or whatever. Let's face it, the current RE games are really crappy right now.

Comment

Who do I deliver the birthday spanking too? And do I use the cricket bat or the one designed to rend the flesh from bone with but a strike?

Comment

Congrats you guys. 15 years is a long time here is to 15 more. Thanks for keeping the original game alive with those early builds.

Also second everything that Scream posted, agreed on every point.
                    Last edited by Saint_Eve; 03-22-2011, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cvxfreak View Post
                      Whoa, nice cake! Looks delicious.
                      Thanks cvxfreak !!! & i hope everything is fine for you in the Archipelago ^^ !

Ohh nice cake, is that a mini beer in the Crimsons Heads hand?
                      No not a mini beer ..let's just call this ''fireworks'' for the party

Awesome cake LOL watch out or that Crimson Head will eat it all
                      Thanks =) hehe Crimson Head is one thing , but let me tell you worse happened

This being said, i strongly agree with scream's last words
                      the current RE games are really crappy right now
                      whether one's disagree or not, for me the series turned to shit with RE4. Most of the succession from there have been irrelevant to my interest. I enjoyed some of the spin of titles like; Outbreak , UC & Darkside.. but that's about it. 4&5 killed everything i loved in the franchise. The new entries doesn't raise anything close to anticipation in me & from the look of the overall decisions made in the past decade...it looks like i will be biting my nails for a long time for ''anything (solid) yet to be unveiled set in the old school's viral universe'' ;(

Happy Birthday Resident Evil
                      Can't believe 15th years has passed since we first set foot in that mansion.Time flow fast!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                        Has it been that long already? Yup!

Today marks the 15th Anniversary of the release of the original Resident Evil on the PlayStation! Amazing, isn't it? I'm pretty sure we've actually got forum regulars who're younger.

So where are we now - 15 years later?

Here's a "top of my head" list of what's at least on the horizon;

We've got not just one, but TWO films coming out;
                        -Resident Evil - Damnation, which is a CG movie set in the game universe and thus likely to be just as canon as the previous CG movie.
                        -Resident Evil 5, which will be the fifth movie in the movie franchise. Scheduled for a late 2012 release. Not sure if this has a proper name yet.

We've also got a fistful of games and rumored games coming out (pardon me if I'm forgetting anything special or a billion mobile productions);
                        -Resident Evil - Mercenaries 3D, which is a handheld "mercenaries mode"-only for the new 3DS. Features both new and old stages and characters.
                        -Resident Evil - Revelations, which is a handheld (again, 3DS), story-driven game set somewhere before the events of Resident Evil 5.
                        -Resident Evil - Portable, which is ... uhm ... who knows. Originally announced for the PSP and then just went radio silent. Maybe it's moved to the NGP? Very old rumors suggested an Outbreak-ish game for the PSP.
                        -Resident Evil - *something something*, which is, well, a title only rumored to be in development by none other than one of the SOCOM devs. If all rumors are to believed, it might be an Outbreak-ish affair. Could this and portable be one and the same? Either way, listing this since after the Dead Rising / Blue Castle rumor thing turned out to be very much true ... I'll honestly believe anything as long as Capcom's name is associated with it.
                        -Resident Evil 6, which is not even announced, but... hey... we all know it'll happen. It's just a matter of WHEN!

Community wise, what's going on these days?

The chaps over on Project Umbrella are ever so busy with their research. Churning away at any piece of research and story content they can find, in order to piece together the most extensive wiki-presentation of what's what, who's who and the like for the Resident Evil universe.

The people of the Resident Evil Center continue to amaze me with their efforts and I love their burning passion.

I'm not sure what's going on the other sites and communities around the globe, such as REfan, BHF and Biohaze, but I'm hoping everyone's doing great and celebrating this 15th Anniversary with style. At least I couldn't help but notice that Yama and cvxfreak is at least marking the occasion with once again whipping up a pretty impressive thread over on NeoGAF.

And I guess we shouldn't forget about Jerome's hard work on the Patient Zero movie project. They've got a total of 6 Behind the Scenes sequences up now, and recently announced that the release has been pushed into September. If you're on Facebook, I strongly suggest that you help spread the love for their hard efforts at Resident Evil Fan Films by liking their Facebook page

Now, where were we?

As you probably could guess based on the sloppiness of this post... we sadly didn't really get a chance to properly whip anything special together for this occasion, but here's where the site stands at the moment; Our moderators are doing a fantastic job keeping an eye on things, I'm trying to pretend I have a social life (whilst at least attempting to maintain contact with people and keep track of their whereabouts), Dot50Cal's in the middle of relocating again (hopefully for the last time this time) and everyone is very much looking forward to getting whipped back in action by him.

Hopefully, once we're well into April, we can get a few of our rather shamefully delayed releases and projects whipped off the ground again and start properly updating things around here again. (And, yes, I know we've probably been saying that for a while now). And, uh, speaking of releases... this certainly seems attention worthy too. Right?

Happy birthday, Resident Evil!

PS: Sorry about the lack of a Jill Sandwich -> Jill Pie -> Cream pie competition. You're free to post pictures of your delicious cakes and pastries if you'd like, and I'll see if I can dig out something to reward you with for efforts (as if being encouraged to eat cake/pastries wasn't reward enough). No guarantees, but it'd probably have to be something unRElated. Sorry.
                        Let me make an advice to this point on.

As for Resident Evil Portable OR anything that is a spin off to outbreak it is confirmed as a rumor it will never happen why because its obvious they are more focused to the other Resident Evil Titles

1. Resident Evil: Revelations.

2. Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D.

3. Resident Evil 6.

4. Resident Evil Damnation. " CGI Movie "

That is all reason why I said because I do alot more research then anyone else as far as I do remember reading back in those months to a year ago.

So please do not look for false info that maybe a rumor because those psp rumors aren't coming true and we all know that.

Comment

Portable - yes
                          Outbreak related - no

I doubt we will ever see much more of Outbreak but portable seems to be all the rage these days, at least for Capcom.

Comment

AMEN !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Saint_Eve View Post
                              Portable - yes
                              Outbreak related - no

I doubt we will ever see much more of Outbreak but portable seems to be all the rage these days, at least for Capcom.
                              Actually maybe a Rage but its even doubtful they'll even put it out I mean come on....The title's of what we see coming out this years seems to be the only thing they are focused on.

Its obvious I like this idea of them not thinking about Portable, or another outbreak...this is what they need to do is to move on from outbreak and portable.

Portal is a life of being hard without a portable version makes life much easier than what we all have to deal with.

Comment

Working...
                              X